PDA

View Full Version : Bergen, Norway, 1940

Zorin
18-02-2006, 04:22
I started to create my second map representing the occupation of Norway. I took the Murmansk map as there was no other map that suited my needs.
Blue would have to attack british reinforcements who just landed at the shore south west of Bergen and the reds have to attack ships in the harbor of Bergen.
So which planes do you suggest for each side?

Map (http://www.rollenspiel.mirko-wilhelm.de/upload/Pic4_Bergen.jpg)

NS-IceFire
18-02-2006, 04:53
Not to dissuade you...but a Norway map is incoming in the near future. There are already objects created for the map in the FMB. Just a FYI.

Zorin
18-02-2006, 05:03
Would you mind to explain your last abbreviation? I'm not too familiar with them.

Veta
18-02-2006, 07:56
FMB = Full Mission Builder
FYI = For Your Information

stanford
18-02-2006, 11:57
Anyone know how to place open hangers in maps (to fly through)?

Firelok
18-02-2006, 12:21
One of the problems for the british expeditionary force (red) in norway was lack of adequate air forces, I think they had just Gladiators, Hurricanes(early) and Blenheim bombers. German(blue) forces, Bf109, Stukas and He111s.

Although with the lack of suitable pre-1940 109's you might want to make Hurricanes version IIb to even things out. HMS Warspite was the principle Aircraft carrier for the Royal Navy on Narvik station. Stavanger Airfield was the principle airfield for the Germans and was bombarded by the Royal Navy and attacked by limited British air forces perhaps this could be an additional objective for red.
The early stages of this battle would involve only seaborne aircraft (for red) launched from HMS Warspite. But later stages they would have a small airfield on land too perhaps.

Zorin
18-02-2006, 13:10
Not to dissuade you...but a Norway map is incoming in the near future. There are already objects created for the map in the FMB. Just a FYI.

What is the near future and who is creating it?

@Firelok: That is the exact plane set I had in mind myself. And I could alter the map so the reds could have a carrier and their base to start from.

@Brcn or whoever knows: Is there always an airstart if the carrier is destroyed or can one adjust the .ini?

Brcn
18-02-2006, 13:30
@Brcn or whoever knows: Is there always an airstart if the carrier is destroyed or can one adjust the .ini?

There will always be an airstart when the carrier is destroyed. Also note that a carrier only supports 6 (or so?) planes.

Zorin
18-02-2006, 13:34
Hm, can we at least adjust the height for the airstart?

Brcn
18-02-2006, 13:37
No, it will be at 2000m.

Zorin
18-02-2006, 13:44
Ok, than we should advise blue not to sink the carrier. 2000m airstart could turn out to be quite an advantage for red.

Brcn
18-02-2006, 13:52
If you don't make it a target for the blue team, and place it behind the lines and protect it with decent AAA there won't be such a problem. Don't forget to silence the AAA guns of the carrier, as it causes too much lag. Put some destroyers around her for AA cover.

Zorin
18-02-2006, 13:56
How do I "silence them down"?

Brcn
18-02-2006, 14:01
When you click the properties of any aaa gun (including ships) you ll see some options, sleep, skill and rof. You can adjust the sleep time, say 3 hours and it will not fire for three hours. You can adjust rof for ship heavy maps, or when there are too many aaa.

Zorin
18-02-2006, 14:03
Thanks Brcn. I hope you don't mind my noobish map builder questions.

brick
18-02-2006, 14:36
I'd suggest from AI's available : Fw200 and Ar196 ( floatplane ) for blues, Blenheim for Reds

Grey_Mouser
18-02-2006, 17:12
FMB = Full Mission Builder
FYI = For Your Information

Can someone tell me what IBTL means? It probably isn't anything nice, but I've never seen an explanation and I've never found it on any list of internet abbreviations.

Kajun442
18-02-2006, 18:02
In Before The Lock

Kajun442

FlyingFinn
18-02-2006, 18:14
Ahh, Murmansk!

I recall we don't have any missions featuring this map?

FlyingFinn
18-02-2006, 18:17
What is the near future and who is creating it?
Two weeks, be sure.

And it's by Ianboys IIRC

Veta
18-02-2006, 18:29
Norway Process Pics (http://forums.ubi.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/63110913/m/4501058563)

Brcn
18-02-2006, 21:34
Thanks Brcn. I hope you don't mind my noobish map builder questions.

No problem Zorin. Ask anything you want :)

Zorin
18-02-2006, 23:41
Two weeks, be sure.

And it's by Ianboys IIRC

He said something like "after the PE-2 release" and "maybe march". Nothing like two weeks. So why not try out my config and after the map is out I would be glad to take this to the new map and we can skip this interim solution, ok?

Yellow 2
19-02-2006, 09:31
I've just been having a trawl through my reference books as the German cruiser Konigsberg and Bergen rang a bell. This may be wrong but here goes. The Germans landed in Bergen fjiord on April 8th 1940 as part of the invasion of Norway. During the landing the Konigsberg was damaged and was tied up at the mole in the harbour. The Royal Navy planned to attack her using aircraft from HMS Furious however she had to be withdrawn for fear of German aircraft. However two Blackburn Skua squadrons flying from Scapa Flow did attack and sink her on April 11th.

Ark Royal and Glorious were operating against targets in the Aandalsnes, Namsos and Narvik areas during the period 25th April to 10th June 1940. Of the British aircraft used in Norway we only have the Gladiator, the AI Blenheim and of course the Hurricane MK1. HMS Glorious took on board some of the remaining RAF Hurricanes who landed on her without the benefit of arrester hooks. Sadly the aircraft and many of their pilots were lost when Glorious was intercepted and sunk by Scharnhorst and Gneisenau after she left the main force to return to Scapa Flow.

Cheers and good luck with the map :)

Zorin
19-02-2006, 15:43
Thanks for the nformation Yellow 2, that should help me to get my briefings together :)

Now, can a Hurri MK.I stand a Bf-109E or should we have the MkIIb on the map to balance things out?

Right now, I have for the reds: Gladiator, Hurri MK.I and Blenheim Mk.IV and for the blues: Bf-109E E/B, captured norwegian Gladiators, Ar.196 seaplane, He 111 H-2(which could be changed to Bf-110C-4/B)

For the UKD2 vers. I would like to add the Fw 200 with restrictions to loadout.

NS-IceFire
19-02-2006, 15:47
In my experience the Hurricane Mark IIB is not quite equal but very close to the Bf109E. The Mark I really struggles. I think the Mark I we have has lower horespower than standard Mark I's in RAF service during the Battle of Britain so its not as good as it was in BoB.

Zorin
19-02-2006, 15:59
Ok, I'll add the Mk.IIb to the red side. But can the red planes take off from a carrier?

brick
19-02-2006, 16:30
Ah just remembered that sea planes (Ar196 here) will be useless unless they get water based aerodromes(only availble on son pacific maps) or airstart.

Zorin
19-02-2006, 16:47
Well, I set it on a base symbol on water, just off the shore.

NS-IceFire
19-02-2006, 18:00
Ok, I'll add the Mk.IIb to the red side. But can the red planes take off from a carrier?
Mmmm not sure...probably not with any reliability.

Zorin
19-02-2006, 18:19
I really need a possibility to test maps before release. Is there no way to do that?

Zorin
19-02-2006, 20:12
Some pics, the map is finished. Only need to make the .ini file after final input and feedback from you guys.

The first shows the map as it is now.

Map (http://www.rollenspiel.mirko-wilhelm.de/upload/Pic4_Bergen_update.jpg)

Second shows the Bergen harbor, had to use a russian light destroyer to represent the "Königsberg".

Bergen harbor (http://www.rollenspiel.mirko-wilhelm.de/upload/Pic5_Bergen.jpg)

Third pic shows the targets for the blue team. Two small tank groups(6 each), a base with trucks and a destroyer out in the bay.

Blue targets (http://www.rollenspiel.mirko-wilhelm.de/upload/Pic6_Bergen.jpg)

Fourth pic is for a question to brcn. Is that a spawn area where I placed the Fw 220s? Or just the area infront of it?

Right or Wrong? (http://www.rollenspiel.mirko-wilhelm.de/upload/Pic7_Bergen.jpg)

Brcn
19-02-2006, 22:02
Blue targets (http://www.rollenspiel.mirko-wilhelm.de/upload/Pic6_Bergen.jpg)

Fourth pic is for a question to brcn. Is that a spawn area where I placed the Fw 220s? Or just the area infront of it?

Right or Wrong? (http://www.rollenspiel.mirko-wilhelm.de/upload/Pic7_Bergen.jpg)

Wrong, you ll have to edit the .mis file in order to make the AI planes flyable.

You have to add FW-200C-3U4 to the .mis file, where the planes for blue team are listed.

Zorin
19-02-2006, 22:09
You got me wrong. I know how to put Ai planes in the game as flyable.

Just wanted to know if planes will spawn where those fw200 are parked or not.

Brcn
20-02-2006, 00:05
You got me wrong. I know how to put Ai planes in the game as flyable.

Just wanted to know if planes will spawn where those fw200 are parked or not.

Oh, ok. I m not sure of that. You can send me the mission files, and i can load them on the dedicated server I run for testing purposes. We can test them. PM me.

Zorin
20-02-2006, 00:07
Ok, you need all three files(mis/ini/prop)?

Brcn
20-02-2006, 00:09
Yes, all three of em

Zorin
20-02-2006, 00:26
Ok, I'll send them today afternoon. I really appreciate your help Brcn :)

Brcn
20-02-2006, 00:35
Np m8, pm me for the ip to the test server.

Btw, can you make the limit of one of the planes in any team 2 in the ini. I want to test some other thing while we test your map. We can correct it when i upload it to the server.

Zorin
20-02-2006, 10:31
I finished the .ini files and will write the briefing after final testing.

Bonus plane blue: Fw200, no bomb load above 4xSD500
Bonus plane red: Li-2, no chutes or freight

Info: The Li-2, C-47 as it was, sure served as transport or passenger plane in Norway, so they were present and could have been modified to carry bombs(evidence) (http://www.preservedaxisaircraft.com/images/Dakota%20Norway.jpg). Li-2 is the only version in game that does carry bombs. 4xFAB250.

Zorin
20-02-2006, 18:38
Do you agree on those bonus planes?

And they are limited aswell. 20 Fw200s and 15Li-2s.

Zorin
22-02-2006, 18:58
Briefing For Blue Team
Get your engines starting gentleman, we are in trouble! Our Ar-196 recon planes have discovered that several ships reached the norwegian coast under the cover of the night. Intelligence reports confirm that the ships are the british carrier HMS Furious and the destroyer HMS Repulse which left for norway one week ago. Their troops already occupied an airbase in grid AW 16 and established a HQ in grid AY 19/20, which is covered by the HMS Repulse lying in the bay. We expect them to start bombing raids against our ships in the Bergen harbour, especially the heavy damaged “Koenigsberg”.
We can’t allow them to get a foothold on our territory and start any attacks against our troops!
Your mission is :- Destroy the HQ along with the HMS Repulse in grid AY 19/20 and secure the airspace above Bergen harbour(grid AY 14)!

Briefing for Red Team
Good morning Gentleman, we have successfully started our surprise attack on the norwegian coast! Under the cover of the night, we have occupied an airbase on the norwegian mainland and set up a HQ in grid AY 19/20. Our troops are still unloading under the cover of the HMS Repulse lying in the bay. Your primary objective is to destroy all enemy ships tied up in the Bergen harbour, but be alert, you will have to deal with fast Bf 109s who’ll guard the harbour area. At the same time, carrier based Hurricanes should secure our troops, because of heavy bombers starting from an airbase on a small island in grid BC 18.
Your mission is :- Destroy all enemy ships in the Bergen harbour(grid AY 14) and cover our troops unloading in grid AY 19/20!

Map: Murmansk
Weather: Good
Clouds: 1000
Time: 8:30 am

Available Planes For Blue Team:
Bf-109E-4
Bf-109E-4/B
Ar-196A-3
He-111H-2
J8K

Available Planes For Red Team:
Hurricane Mk.I
Hurricane Mk.IIb
J8K
Blenheim Mk.IV

Further Information For Bue Team
-

Further Information For Red Team
-

Brcn
24-02-2006, 12:18
Map is uploaded. Thanks for your effort.

Zorin
24-02-2006, 14:54
Cool :) I really hope you all will enjoy my first map.

Where is she set in the map rotation Brcn?

Brcn
24-02-2006, 15:05
I think it s coming after Balkans... I am not sure though.

Zorin
26-02-2006, 17:28
It hasn't been up yet. Maybe you could check again when it'll come up.

Zorin
27-02-2006, 15:03
Firelok reported that the map needs some tweaking. The way for blue bombers is too long, what about the red bomber pilots? The same for you?

Zorin
09-03-2006, 13:03
Brcn, could you please change the map's position in the overall rotation? It has been up only one time. That is not enough to check for failures and I have to ask myself whatfore I made this map if it never comes up.

Zorin
15-04-2006, 06:10
Briefing For Blue Team
Gentlemen, start your engines, we are in trouble! Our Ar-196 recon planes have discovered that several ships reached the norwegian coast under the cover of the night. Intelligence reports confirm that the ships are the british convoy, consisting of three cargo ships and the two light cruisers HMS Cameron and HMS Broadway, which left for norway one week ago.
Airborne troops already occupied an airbase in grid AW 16 and captured several aircraft. Now we have to expect bombing raids any minute from Scapa Flow against our ships in the Bergen harbour, especially the heavy damaged “Koenigsberg”.
We can’t allow them to get a foothold on our territory nore to start any attacks against our troops!
Your mission is :- Destroy the landing party in grid AZ 17 along with all ships and secure the airspace above Bergen harbour(grid AY 14)!

Briefing for Red Team
Good morning Gentleman, we have successfully started our surprise attack on the norwegian coast! Under the cover of the night, we have occupied an airbase on the norwegian mainland and unload tank troops in grid AZ 17. Our troops are still unloading under the cover of the HMS Cameron and HMS Broadway lying in the bay. Your primary objective is to destroy all enemy ships tied up in the Bergen harbour, but be alert, you will have to deal with fast Bf 109s who’ll guard the harbour area.
Your mission is :- Destroy all enemy ships in the Bergen harbour(grid AY 14) and cover our troops unloading in grid AZ 17!

Map: Murmansk
Weather: Good
Clouds: 1300
Time: 8:30 am

Available Planes For Blue Team:
Bf-109E-4
Bf-109E-4/B
Ar-196A-3
He-111H-6
J8K
Fw200(bonus)

Available Planes For Red Team:
Hurricane Mk.I
Hurricane Mk.IIb
J8K
Blenheim Mk.IV(airstart)
Li-2(bonus)

--------------------------

Map (http://www.rollenspiel.mirko-wilhelm.de/upload/Map.jpg)

He-111 bombers wil be limited to loadouts up to 4xSc500, aswell as the Fw200.

Bombers should always stay high, especially the He111 or it'll be eaten alive by the Bofors artillery battery.

Zorin
15-04-2006, 14:04
Critics and comments are of course welcome. :)

stanford
15-04-2006, 15:01
When you're on the server, Zorin, you can ask any admin to change to your map and I'm sure there won't be a problem. Better yet, why not join the syndicate and change the map yourself? :)

Zorin
15-04-2006, 16:05
That is a simple question of money. If any of you would be so kind as to give me further informations on the fees I could decide whether I'm able to afford joining the syndicate or not.

Incisor
15-04-2006, 21:51
It’s been a while since I played the map, and you might have adapted it in the meantime, but I found the German ship triple A very strong in AY14. Did some runs, high and low, fast and slow, in a Blenheim and got shot down every time. It also killed my frame rate. Moreover, as the Blenheim has no gunsight one is obliged to go near the ships. The only time I managed to destroy a (already damaged) ship was when half the AAA fired at my wingman. The distance from base to target was fine, though.

It is a beautiful map and, when on low approach, the impact of the AAA shells on the slopes near the port is stunning eye candy. I will try the blue side next time.

Cheers :)

Zorin
15-04-2006, 22:58
Yeah, AAA was too strong, for a simple reason. The AAA batteries and ships were firing. Now, all ships are disabled, so only the AAA batteries will shoot at you, one heavy 88mm and 5 or 6 light AAAs all with different range of fire(550-2500).

And you should be aware of the newly placed two 88mm on the approach as the bombers are deep in enemy airspace and already up at 2000m.

The ones serving out there (http://www.rollenspiel.mirko-wilhelm.de/upload/heavyAAApost.jpg) must have messed it up badly to have their commander send them out to no-man's-land ;)

Zorin
07-05-2006, 16:34
Updated files have been send, this is now a 4.05 map.

Firelok
31-05-2006, 21:15
Flew new version early this evening,with maybe 16-20 players. No-one typed <vote once, Hurrah! I was flying red and didn't have chance to change to blue. AAA over ships was dangerous if you hung about but survivable diving in dropping and running, Ideal I would say. Most of the dogfighting happened about half way between the two fighter bases,some convenient clouds there :)

Zorin
31-05-2006, 22:08
Well, that sounds real good, seems I made it right this time :)