PDA

View Full Version : Static cameras cause lag?

TheDawg
02-04-2006, 03:21
Seen a couple of posts on this in other forums.
Thoughts?

NS-IceFire
02-04-2006, 03:40
The static cameras do have an impact in that they are an object on the map. They count against the maps object amount. That said...there are thousands...tens of thousands of objects on some maps. Two or three static cameras makes no difference.

Please file this one under the other rediculous claims:

- winter terrain is less laggy
- jet contrails cause lag
- full moons cause lag
- static cameras cause lag

Grey_Mouser
02-04-2006, 03:43
I could be wrong here...but I think the internet causes lag. :D

Actually, I recently flew on a new server that allows up to 50 players and had very little lag and warp....pretty impressive but I don't know why?

TheDawg
02-04-2006, 03:47
yeah, I was in that server. Clear, crisp sharp textures. Really incredible from high alt.
Low ping.
There were only 28-30 in there but I was quite impressed.

norrismcwhirter
02-04-2006, 10:40
When I used to read the 'mission builder section' over at UBI (long time ago), there were some posts about static cameras and I think someone associated with the devs did actually confirm that you shouldn't place too many on maps as they can have an impact.

How much impact was never clarified, though.

Firelok
02-04-2006, 11:50
Whilst we are on the subject of laggy map objects, which out of the 'animated objects' causes the most lag. Is it simply the largest smoke clouds or fires? Is there a big difference between light-types? or runway lights and airfield campfires?

TheDawg
02-04-2006, 14:59
We made a "study" between three of us who hosted nightly, but this was patch 2.5-3.0 or 3.2ish. I tried to find the links on UBI, but they are long, long gone.
Static cameras were causing frame rate drops on the host computer. We could watch it, as well as the fps hit when AI planes spawn.
If you had the server host PC next to the one you played on, you could see when you went to a static camera and 'looked' around the fps drop. Multiply that by 2-20 players and the hit was real...but...powerful computers then had 512megs of SDR, 64 meg cards were around- so that end of it has really hopped up.
We learned if you "plant" all the planes somewhere on the map, that will greatly decrease the fps on spawn.
Jets made no difference. But, at the time, the B1 did. A lot has improved computer wise since three years ago when we spent a lot of time messing around trying to de-lag online DF servers.
I heard the static camera thing pop up somewhere else and was curious if it had been worked around.
If you dont have externals, that static camera could very well be eating into video resources.

TheDawg
02-04-2006, 15:02
Whilst we are on the subject of laggy map objects, which out of the 'animated objects' causes the most lag. Is it simply the largest smoke clouds or fires? Is there a big difference between light-types? or runway lights and airfield campfires?

good one.
Theres been 300 objects added since we looked into it. I know getting close to some fire and smoke types really cripples my fps. Not sure if all ground objects were optimized or not. With the rush to get out patches, who knows. The smoke and fire from plane wrecks was very well done, hardly any hit, even sitting inside a fireball, like on respawn from vulching etc. But there is one "fire" on the object list that kicks my OC'd x850xt in the balls.

Firelok
02-04-2006, 15:16
If there was one specific thing I would like to disable, even though it's highly appropriate, it is the dust clouds kicked up by taxi-ing A/C. This porks my FPS even on special effects=0 just when you need a nice stable frame-rate.
(although it is possible I'm not configured ideally, I've grown bored of hunting for ideal performance and trolling through forums for more suggestions. :D )

TheDawg
02-04-2006, 15:30
disable the dust clouds kicked up by taxi-ing A/C.

+1
I love seeing dust from 3000K when getting ready to dive bomb, but..
Online maps will always, always produce the highest fps, across the boards. (with the exception of the mountian map- thats a pig) Make sure all the planes are inserted into the map using the static planes. Skip the wirblewinds, use any one of three or four other AAA's, the browning, the 7.62. Not the most effective anti aircraft, but if you have rules about not strafing the base..who cares? Once your rockets are done, or bombs are gone, yer toast!
If you're after effects, better to lower the sun, instead of using 'hazy' or 'blind'
Set up the trip A, and ships gunners NOT to fire until targets are 1500 away.
I gotta laugh when I see (in a DF server) ships firing, literally 20 miles at enemy targets. And trip A gunners opening up at planes 5.0 away. All that is easily controlled in mission builder.

Maybe UK2 should be MaxEyeCandy server, and UK1 ElLamoUNeedaNewPC server- #1 would have online maps with very minimal settings, so *you know who* with his 2.2 gig P3 and 512meg of ram on dail up can fly like an eagle and fly like a pidgeon sucked into my turbines. :D
Ultimately, low end PC's will really hit the entire server as it tries to send and recieve packets along with all the others.