View Full Version : Leyte

Firelok
01-06-2006, 20:37
Leyte (late44)
(map:Net8Islands)
Time 17.30
Weather:Clear

RED Brief (USN/USMC/USAAF)
The invasion of the Phillipines has begun, Our destroyer forces have engaged the enemy at close range and have called for bombers in C4. We must also hit the enemy airbase in D5 and destroy the shipping moored in the lagoon sector D5/D4 and finally a decisive strike
is needed on the enemy fleet in sector B5, Fighters need to defend our bombers, the fleet(sector D1), our island airfield(sector B2) and the destroyer squadron(sector C3.)
ATTACK-C4/D5/D4/B5; DEFEND D1/B2/C3.
BLUE Brief(IJN/IJA)
We must defend these islands with the utmost ferocity, Sink the enemy destroyers in C3, attack fuel tankers and Motor Patrol boats near the island in B2, Bomb the enemy airfield in B2 and assault the US Fleet in D1. Fighter defence must concentrate on defending Destroyers in C4, our Fleet in B5 and the island airbase in D5.
ATTACK-B2/D1/C3; DEFEND-C4/B5/D5

Red Aircraft
Airfield
A-20G
FM-2
P-38L
P-39Q-1(bonus)
SBD-5
Carriers
F4U-1D
SBD-5
F6F-5

Blue Aircraft
Airfield
A6M5a
D3A1
G4M1_11
J2M3
Ki-61-I-Hei
Ki-84-Ia
Ki-84-Ib(bonus)
Carriers
A6M5c
D3A1
A6M5a
A6M5b

Almost ready this one, SC version is done.

Algorex
01-06-2006, 21:28
Grrr yet another PTO map without marine corsairs.

Firelok
02-06-2006, 01:21
Problem is the obscene loadout available, 1x2000lbs 2x1000lbs on a Corsair thats more than a B25! Which arn't in either. I would love to have tiny-tim rockets and all the rest but reds would massively out-ordinance blues.To have marine corsairs/B25s would have to increase the number of blue ships to kill a lot.
Reds already may outweigh blues by too much because of the P38-J.
essentially how do we make it fair.

Zorin
02-06-2006, 01:26
I don't get what the problem is. Limit the loadout for the Corsair for UKD2 and leave it out in the UKD1 version.

reverendkrv
02-06-2006, 13:28
theres a map (cant remember the name :wall: )...the one that Zorin can finish on his own in ju88.the most potent a/c the allies have is the p40 because it can carry a 1,000 pounder.
Axis have ju88,ju87,both of which can carry a whole lot more than the p40,or the pe2(3?)that the Allies have...maybe it's swings and roundabouts?
granted IF the allies work together(which we did)they can hit the ships hard...but we still didn't finish half the targets by the time axis had destroyed the allied ships.

there are other examples of similar 'imbalances' but it's still fun ;)

I'm not complaining,just pointing it out...put the marine corsairs in,see what happens...half the people might not be able to take off from carrier in it anyway ;) you know the're gonna want to load it up as much as they can lol.

in my eyes,you got the stuff there,use it,put it in...if it doesn't work you'll know in the tasting.

Rev

Nightshifter
02-06-2006, 13:44
What he said ^^^

Firelok
02-06-2006, 13:48
Marine Corsairs with a limited loadout really is what's making Algorex go Grrr, they can't take off with the big stuff from a carrier so they are limited loadout at the moment. Marine Corsairs=more blue ships they are required to destroy, not a problem :)

Algorex
02-06-2006, 14:35
Algore wants big BOOOM!

Firelok
02-06-2006, 15:11
Bigger fleet added you get yer boom :)
I really wanted to put floatplanes in for the blues when I started this map but was puzzled as to how to create a floatplane ground start. Marine Corsair inclusion means I definately need more boom for blues and I want to add the H8K floatplane for the torpedoes, So swallowing what pride I have, How do you do this? I need help. :o

Zorin
02-06-2006, 15:56
I'm sorry for you Fire, but you can only have floatplane spawn point when the map features those. But your map does not, so you could only make an airstart for them.

Firelok
02-06-2006, 16:36
Well I can stop trying now. LoL ,thx.
Don't want any airstarts, so blue will just have to have less %tage ships to destroy.

Firelok
04-06-2006, 12:18
Have decided to go back on my former statement about no airstarts, The H8K flying boat now make an appearance as Blue bonus planes airstarting behind their home island. Representing aircraft flying in from some other part of the archipelago.
Not to be outdone reds bonus-plane is PBY Catalina.
It just seems more Pacific-like including these. Both fleets are now larger and red have to destroy more ships than blue because of the Land-Based Corsairs' big boom capabilities.

Firelok
07-06-2006, 18:36
Have finalised this for inclusion, Corsairs do not get Tiny-tims('45 ordinance) or maximum bombload everything else is in. Blues have an airstarted H8K1 to the north of their island which should help their punching power. As it is red have to destroy more targets than blue.

Firelok
19-06-2006, 01:09
Played this on a full server and it had some major lag problems, at times.
I intend to curb the AAA over the fleets quite a bit and reduce the numbers of innessential objects and trim some targets from places, it's a bit hugeous. There are some other tweaks like adding runway fires/cameras that Zorin has suggested. Native villages will dissapear and fences too :)

NS-IceFire
19-06-2006, 23:46
I had a look at the map when I was poking through the UK-D maps zip and this one makes me shudder a bit. The mission loader had a good enough time just loading all the objects. Too many ships and objects spread out there...I think you need to consolodate. Its ok...we're all guilty of it :)

Firelok
20-06-2006, 00:20
Well I weilded a scythe across it today as detailed above hopefully should be less shudder-worthy :)
*add*
.mis file down from 47k to 31k after changes.

NS-IceFire
20-06-2006, 02:25
Well I weilded a scythe across it today as detailed above hopefully should be less shudder-worthy :)
*add*
.mis file down from 47k to 31k after changes.
Excellent stuff. Its not all that heart breaking when you realize the gameplay performance will improve. I've been through this myself.

ChiChi Jima is and maybe still is broken in terms of AAA content. I may redo that map as well.

Firelok
26-06-2006, 06:32
Have brought out the defoliant over Leyte and it's now based on the same map minus those Pesky Palm Trees, an excellent suggestion from Maestro Ice-Fire :)
Some more streamlining has slimmed things down to a 28k .mis file. Hope my insomnia has paid off here.

Yellow 2
26-06-2006, 11:17
Thanks Firelok. I was on this map last night and with nearly a full server I was getting lots of stutters and the pauses when I got on an enemy aircraft's six made it almost unplayable. Earlier in the evening I had much the same problem on the late war map where red has to bomb the V1 sites ( Ardenne?). Not sure if this was caused by the file size as in the past it has been much smoother unless the ground objects have been re-worked recently.

Cheers :)

the_vicar
26-06-2006, 13:34
Today, 05:32 AM Hope it works Firelok - and in the meantime you're added to my "I owe him a beer" list... :D

NS-IceFire
27-06-2006, 00:44
Thanks Firelok. I was on this map last night and with nearly a full server I was getting lots of stutters and the pauses when I got on an enemy aircraft's six made it almost unplayable. Earlier in the evening I had much the same problem on the late war map where red has to bomb the V1 sites ( Ardenne?). Not sure if this was caused by the file size as in the past it has been much smoother unless the ground objects have been re-worked recently.

Cheers :)
The problem may be in the Flak/AAA department. Now that 4.05 offers us a half dozen new flak batteries (of varrying sizes and types) we now have some more options as mission designers. The German 37mm flak batteries are like the 40mm Bofors and very deadly. You can replace 6 or 8 of the 20mm batteries with two or three of these to compensate...lag is reduced big time due to lower AI requirements on the server and fewer bullets in the sky.

If anyone remembers the name of that V-1 map I'll have a look at it.

Algorex
27-06-2006, 12:09
The map is Ardennes, might consider moving the bases around a bit, little more distance and somewhere not so close to the map edge (i feel silly dogfighting over nothing).

NS-IceFire
28-06-2006, 03:41
Ok...I'm on it!

Firelok
29-06-2006, 16:57
Ok, Latest version of Leyte seems to work well, mission timed out correctly and it was flown for over an hour this afternoon, lagginess reduced.
Thx, Scrappy for emergency upload :)

NS-IceFire
29-06-2006, 23:23
Good to hear Firelok...as before...great mission...technical difficulties...glad to hear its sorted!

Firelok
09-07-2006, 09:59
Nice one, love the F4-U!
Yeah it's about time she got to show most of her stuff, still no TinyTims etc needs to be '45 scenario for that.
I think this will be a tough scenario to win for either side(I planned it that way)involving concerted attacks on substantial targets. And there are planes to relish on both sides, F4-U,P-38,J2M3 I'm looking forward to seeing how it does after folks get used to it and start planning stuff.

NS-IceFire
13-08-2006, 22:34
So we played this one today and we managed to have a 6 plane Betty formation at one point. Needless to say that the P-38s went wild trying to bring us down. IT was great.

It did crash the server at one point...but that could just be random server crash and not the map. Uhhh what else...oh Repoker claimed that the Japanese planes were faster than the Allied ones and Red couldn't win the map. So I checked the top speeds.

As far as the Corsair is concerned...the Ki-84 can out run it but only if at full boost and 110%. If running without boost or anything less then the Corsair will gain on it...throughout all altitude ranges. At 100% the Corsair is faster than the Ki-84 at 100% and as far as endurance chases the Corsair will win. If employed properly you should always use a bit of a dive anyways and the Ki-84 can't escape that. The J2M3 is a similar story...it has similar speed to the Ki-84 and can match Allied fighters...but it does not exceed them. What it may win at is acceleration.

Its a similar story for the P-38L which is faster than everything on the map except the Ki-84 which it can match until about 8000m. I actually wonder if the Ki-84s supercharger is a little too good here.

The Hellcat is faster than everything except the Ki-84 and J2M3 which is decidedly faster.

The Zeros are much slower than anything on the Allied side.

System-M-
13-08-2006, 23:42
One suggestion for the map is more AAA at the Red base.

Blues base is untouchable with so much flak yet blues can loiter over red base as there is not much, more AAA at red would be nice if possible.

Firelok
14-08-2006, 23:14
I'll have a look again at the sleep-time for the Ships here might be lots of AI waking up causing a server crash, we've had problems with Leyte before so I'l look into it ASAP.
As for the AAA both airfields have the same number of pieces but Japanese forces have better AAA available to use, off-set by the real value of F4U rocket -armed striking the AAA on their first pass. Upgrading red's base is tricky as the Japanese planes have less potential in the ground attack role.

NS-IceFire
15-08-2006, 00:30
If Red team base has a few Bofors 40mm it should do the trick against the Japanese. Generally the fighters tend to evade that medium level flak fairly decently because the fire rate is a bit slower than the Japanese 37mm but if you can convince a Zero to slow down for just an instant...its wing off time. Ki-84 too.

I'd like the chance to have some good flight time with Red team on there...but I'm always flying blue. I keep hearing on how disadvantaged Red team is...but they have all the cool planes!

Firelok
15-08-2006, 01:54
TBO I'm really considering hard whether to cut the Airfield attack target from both sides as attacking both sets of fleets can eat up a lot of running time here and I think these are more popular targets by far, so I'm proposing removing the airfields as targets but upping the %tage to destroy of the carrier fleets.Neither side has yet to complete the targets on this map and I think perhaps it's too much to have the airfields as targets.

Zorin
15-08-2006, 02:12
That would be a good idea. Both teams almost finished their targets except for the airfield ones tonight.