PDA

View Full Version : Hastings

Firelok
07-06-2006, 18:47
Hastings

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e150/firelokc/hastings2.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e150/firelokc/hastings.jpg

BLUE Brief
We are launching a surprise daylight reprisal raid on a coastal town. Destroy as many vehicles as possible and any large buildings including the pier, the theatre behind it and the gasworks. We must also cover the evacuation of some Kreigsmarine minelayers offshore being helped by fast patrol boats and floatplanes.
(ATTACK AN5 DEFEND AO5)
RED Brief
Scramble!, Enemy planes have been spotted headed to attack the seafront, The C.O's favourite Golf course is here and we must prevent widespread damage. Additional, Coastal Command has damaged a minelayer offshore destroy it and any other enemy units nearby.
(ATTACK AO5 DEFEND AN5)
PLANES
RED
BuffaloMkI
HurricaneMkIIb
HurricaneMkIIc
TomahawkMkIIb
SpitfireMkVb*limit30*
BLUE
Bf-109E-4/B
Bf-109E-7
Bf-109E-7Z
Bf-109F-2
Bf-109F-4*limit30*
Ju-87B-2

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e150/firelokc/seaside1.jpg

Nightshifter
07-06-2006, 18:50
Looks awesome matey!!!

Gordano
07-06-2006, 21:44
Nice seafront!!

But where's the Mecca Bingo............ :)

reverendkrv
07-06-2006, 22:03
:eek: :cool: get ya deckchairs & hankies out lads,roll ya slacks up....we going to the seaside! :D

looks well cool m8 :)

Yellow 2
08-06-2006, 13:00
Looks good. I see the Buffalo will feature, could I suggest in its place the P400 Airacobra to represent the few that were flown by the RAF before the order was cancelled? Or would this upset the balance? Apparently 601 squadron exchanged its Hurricanes for them in September 1941 and flew them until March 1942 so the time frame is about right.

I assume that that the arrows loadout is going to be banned, after all if we are not careful someone could loose an eye. :D

LeVola
08-06-2006, 13:37
or maybe adding the Fin Brewster as Buffalo, Armament is better 4x.50 but not sur if it is faster

Firelok
08-06-2006, 14:01
Buffalo is kind of a bomber here for reds and represents second line aircraft thrown hastily into the fray. P400, interesting this, I was considering it but didn't want to blunder by putting A/C into a scenario where they didn't exist, But might think about it now. I Would need to find something else for blues as compensation though....

Firelok
12-06-2006, 07:45
Have checked this for errors, all seems OK. Just a matter of how it plays now.

Firelok
19-06-2006, 00:57
Played this with a full-ish server and seemed quite popular, got some good positve feedback. I am going to tweak the targets a little more and tracy island has some grassy slopes growing across the runway a bit, Only other problem is it's really really short on UK2. I extended it twice on request. I would like to ask for a 120min timelimit please.

NS-IceFire
19-06-2006, 23:50
I like the looks of it and the planeset is well thought out and looks interesting!

Xiola
21-06-2006, 22:04
After playing this map on both sides, I have to say blue is a lot easier than red.

Purely for one reason, the Spitfire has to go home for ammo after every engagement, whereas the 109F4 can stcik around thru 3 or even 4 engagements and still have ammo left.

When I played it this fact came into play and the blues slowly pushed the reds back to their base,

I propose adding a SPitfire with 120rpg ammo so that its more even (ammo load still on the side of the 109F4 tho, and I would rather be in the 109F4 than the Spit V any day.)

I reckon either the Seafire or the Spitfire Vc2 or SPitfire Vc4.

Probably the SPitfire Vc2 is the best match for this map.

I know most Vc's were sent abroad but sureley some operated from Engalnd too, and it would blalance the map much better.

Firelok
21-06-2006, 22:12
I for one would have no objections to this. As a map it plays rather well but for this issue, are some SpitfireVc(2) a gross historical travesty here?
A bit of leeway on this would be to our advantage I think.
Your thoughts please...

NS-IceFire
22-06-2006, 00:27
I for one would have no objections to this. As a map it plays rather well but for this issue, are some SpitfireVc(2) a gross historical travesty here?
A bit of leeway on this would be to our advantage I think.
Your thoughts please...
Probably not a huge travesty. It doesn't bother me that much. The air filter wasn't something they used but many Mark V's were fitted with C type wings. They showed up on them before on the IX's.

That said...to be honest the Vb is no trouble for me...the 60rpg taught me to aim better. But I know that most people don't have that and yes it can be a problem RTBing after ever engagement. I still think you can make that ammo last two or even three fighters :)

reverendkrv
22-06-2006, 01:14
imo,it's a great map,fantastic,although as fire mentioned,the time is lacking in a big way :cool:

Xiola
22-06-2006, 03:01
imo,it's a great map,fantastic,:cool:

Sorry I didnt say this, I thought it was obvious :p

I dont htink the filter will look too out of place. They could always have been placed at the airfield ready to transport abroad, but the attack came before they could be sent. Therefore some Vc's took part in the battle?

As I play this game more and more I seem to see the benefits of the 109F4 over the Spitfire Vb/Vc grow even more. I know the SPit is easy to fly and all that, but the fact is that the 109F can keep the Spitfire at bay at will and only gets into trouble if he makes a mistake or tries to save a teamate, or is unlucky.

He can always put his nose down and run and extend, and as long as the Spit Vb/Vc doesnt get a lucky shot in , its quite easy to pull away. If I am picking the plane I will do best in , I would pick the 109F4 every time.

Adding the Spitfire Vc simply allows the reds to hang around a little more, it doesnt give them a better plane. The 109F4 is still the better plane, so blues still have the advatage even with the Vc2 added.

NS-IceFire
22-06-2006, 04:45
Its true Xiola...and again it comes down to the notion that while the Spitfire is easier to fly, the comperable 109 (and later 190) are better in their element. What happens is that alot of pilots take the 109 or 190 and take it out of its element and thats where the Spitfires eat them alive...thus the Spitfires overinflated reputation.

A good challenge is taking a Spit V up against the comperable Luftwaffe fighter flown by good pilots and then trying to do well in it. Its very hard...people who slag the Spitfire should be thrown into these situations in order to appreciate them.

Xiola
22-06-2006, 05:52
I agreee mate, its really the Spitfire MkV varients which I think are pretty bad.

They are great when you are learning - there is no better plane. But as you become a better pilot the poor old MkV seems to lose its appeal more and more.

As you learn more , I think you turn much less, and turning is were the Spit V is in its element. If you are not using its turn much, then it doesnt have much else going for it. The 109F4 seems to have much more qualities that a veteran pilot is looking for, great climb, fast speed, lots of ammo and can turn if you really want too.

You can see why the Aces of the Luftwaffe did so well in the 109, but you wouldnt want to send up novices in it, the Spit would win out in a novice vs novice battle. I was even outrunning SPitVbs in a 109E7B last night. I would go in, bomb the target, and often a Spit would come down after me (with a height advantage). Only once did he actually catch me, all other times I bombed and got away, whilst being chased. Is the 109E7B actually faster than the Vb? I would like to know actually.

I still love the MkVIII and Mk IX however and think they are vastly better than the later 109's. I really dont like the 109 after the 109G2 (the G6A/S is OK)

If you HAVE to battle (a team mate is in trouble or something similar) then the Spit V is fearsome, its so great at turning. But if you choose the battle, then you can dictate it in the 109F4, and I am getting much better at this these days.

This is the reason I think a Spitfire Vc2 would benefit reds and let them stay and fight a bit more rather than having to return to base every time they have been in an engagement. Whilst giving not giving them a Plane Vs PLane advantage. It also means people enjoy the map more, they spend more time in combat than trapesing back and forward from the base. :)

Yellow 2
22-06-2006, 09:45
If you want to include an extra plane please give some thought to including the P400 Airacobra. Historically correct, more so than the Buffalo. I assume that the in game version has the 20mm cannon which should be a more accurate weapon than the standard 37mm.

Cheers :)

Yellow 2
22-06-2006, 10:01
Its true Xiola...and again it comes down to the notion that while the Spitfire is easier to fly, the comperable 109 (and later 190) are better in their element. What happens is that alot of pilots take the 109 or 190 and take it out of its element and thats where the Spitfires eat them alive...thus the Spitfires overinflated reputation.

A good challenge is taking a Spit V up against the comperable Luftwaffe fighter flown by good pilots and then trying to do well in it. Its very hard...people who slag the Spitfire should be thrown into these situations in order to appreciate them.

I agree, the Spitfire is not easy to fly well. It is much more sensitive to a rudder that is out of trim than the 109 that only trims out at certain speeds. Changes in throttle settings and speeds call for constant trim changes if the aircraft is to 'feel' right. A Spitfire yawing will not be as accurate a gun platform as one that is trimmed correctly, which in this game is almost impossible in the heat of combat. The hitting power of the 20mm cannon also appears to have been reduced somewhere along the way compared the original version. The mark V is more maneuverable than the later marks but doesn't have the performance and as has been pointed out with only 60 cannon rounds per gun every shot counts.

Algorex
22-06-2006, 10:21
All 109s outrun the mk.V at low altitude (under 2000m) with a good marginal. The upgrade from V to IX is huge leap in performance, biggest ingame between successive models IIRC.

Vc is a good idea, performance is pretty much the same (climb rate of the Vc is a bit lower, so don't expenct me to fly one of those) but the extra ammo could allow more red fighters to loiter over the city.

Firelok
22-06-2006, 14:57
If you want to include an extra plane please give some thought to including the P400 Airacobra. Historically correct, more so than the Buffalo. I assume that the in game version has the 20mm cannon which should be a more accurate weapon than the standard 37mm.

I think the cannon is an optional loadout with the P400 and the 'cobra will be more use for reds on a bombing front, the chubby little buffalo gives me a warm fuzzy feeling don't know why :) but the cobra may well be in m8.

Firelok
22-06-2006, 20:09
Yellow2 I have swapped buffalo for P400 as per your suggestion but they are in limited numbers (16) I think. P400 just has .50cals rather than cannon firing thru nose.Have just submitted this.

Algorex
22-06-2006, 21:17
IIRC P400 had one 20mm hispano through the prop hub with 60rpg, 2x .50cals on the cowling, 4x .30cal in the wings and no bombs. P-39D1 has the same guns and a 500lb bomb or a drop tank, D2 has optional 37mm cannon and the rest of the series has the 37mm.

Yellow 2
23-06-2006, 09:15
Yellow2 I have swapped buffalo for P400 as per your suggestion but they are in limited numbers (16) I think. P400 just has .50cals rather than cannon firing thru nose.Have just submitted this.

Thanks Firelok. I have just checked the info in game and Oleg in his wisdom has given the P400 the 37mm plus 2x 0.5" in the nose and 4x .30" in the wings and I was so hoping for the 20mm. :D The limited number will of course reflect the historical situation but will give red an aircraft with more ammo albeit machine gun rounds.

A possible problem is that in QMB the default skin will only accept U.S markings and not RAF. We will find US aircraft becoming involved in the scenario unless the people who fly it on UKD2 can find an RAF skin to download. If you are not happy with this and I'm not please feel free to revert to the Buffalo which at least can show the correct markings.

Firelok
23-06-2006, 11:43
Seems to work with RAF markings when launched as a Multiplayer, I did this when checking the scenario.

Daytrader
28-06-2006, 17:08
one of my fav maps this, keep the good work up firelok m8 ;)

Xiola
29-06-2006, 02:43
This map is fantastic now, I love flying both sides, but the 109F4 is still my favourite of the whole planeset, the more I fly that plane, the more I love it.

I think the new planes for the reds give them more time in the target area and as such its a more balanced map now than with just the SPitfire Vb.

I have flown from both sides and loved every minute...

System-M-
29-06-2006, 15:15
Great Map gets people into the fight and huge furballs over the target :D

NS-IceFire
29-06-2006, 23:09
Thanks Firelok. I have just checked the info in game and Oleg in his wisdom has given the P400 the 37mm plus 2x 0.5" in the nose and 4x .30" in the wings and I was so hoping for the 20mm. :D The limited number will of course reflect the historical situation but will give red an aircraft with more ammo albeit machine gun rounds.

A possible problem is that in QMB the default skin will only accept U.S markings and not RAF. We will find US aircraft becoming involved in the scenario unless the people who fly it on UKD2 can find an RAF skin to download. If you are not happy with this and I'm not please feel free to revert to the Buffalo which at least can show the correct markings.
P-400s have a Hispano 20mm cannon in the nose. Object viewer is wrong.

The P-400 is also known as the Airacobra Mark I.