PDA

View Full Version : Remagen Update

NS-IceFire
02-07-2006, 01:09
Remagen Mission March/April 1945

Based loosely on the scenario in my Tempest campaign this is a map that I had produced a while ago and simply was not put on the server. I've taken the time to upgrade it a bit and reconsider some things. I'm learning how to write the INI files on this so its going to take a while and might be buggy initially. Here's a walkthrough.

RED Objectives:
- Destroy artillery emplacements
- Destroy vehicle convoy and train
- Destroy tank column

RED Aircraft:
Tempest
Spitfire IXc +25lb
Spitfire IXe Clipped
Mustang Mark III*
Mosquito FB.VI
P-38L Late
P-47D-27
P-47D Late*
P-51C/D
B-25
A-20G

BLUE Objectives:

- Destroy 4 bridges
- Destroy vehicle supply group
- Destroy tanks

BLUE Aircraft

FW190A-9
FW190F-8
FW190D-9 1945
Bf109G-10
Bf109G-14
Bf109K-4
Ju-87G
Bf110G-2
Ju-88A-4
Do-335*
Me-262A-1*
Me-262A-2*
He-162*

* limited

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/imgs/rema-01.jpg
Volkel airbase

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/imgs/rema-02.jpg
Volkel again

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/imgs/rema-03.jpg
Hopsten

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/imgs/rema-04.jpg
US Army convoy

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/imgs/rema-05.jpg
Allied breakout bridge

NS-IceFire
02-07-2006, 01:11
http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/imgs/rema-06.jpg
German convoy

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/imgs/rema-07.jpg
Panzer VI group

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/imgs/rema-08.jpg
Supply train

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/imgs/rema-09.jpg
Artillery emplacements

NS-IceFire
02-07-2006, 01:11
http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/imgs/rema-10.jpg
German grass airfield with Me262s

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/imgs/rema-11.jpg
Rheine airbase defenses and ground dispersal

stanford
02-07-2006, 12:41
I'm very excited about this map, it will be nice to try gets Vs. props again. I think in the right hands (or wrong, depends how you look at it) the jets will be absolutely untouchable. Still, it's based on reality so I'm not going to complain.

By the way, your Tempest campaign is the nuts.

NS-IceFire
02-07-2006, 15:25
Thank you :)

Yeah the jets will be tough. Limited numbers mind you...and the P-47, Mustang III, and Tempest can dive on these guys and get them in the right situation.

Xiola
02-07-2006, 17:51
That looks awesome, we have not got a Western front late uber ride war map and this one looks great :)

Can't wait to try out both sides! Looks really nicely balanced in planeset mate, well done.

I think only very few will excell with the jets, remembers its essentially speed vs turning vs the Spitfire 25lbs, which is what most of the great fights consist of. I shot down 2 jets in a La7 B20 the other day on Berlin :)

NS-IceFire
03-07-2006, 02:30
I find it hard to bag jets in a La-7 because although its fast...it can't dive very fast. The Thunderbolt and Tempest are really superb at this job.

This is my test before I do a 4.07 jet fighter 1946 map some day.

Firelok
03-07-2006, 06:06
Yeah looks brill, about time we had a map written around the Tempest. I'd do think the maps that include a few of the Luftwaffe jets really add an extra thrill, not only as a ride but hearing them roar about whilst in a prop-fighter.

NS-IceFire
27-08-2006, 04:03
Ok...Remagen is being ZIPed up and sent to Firelok right now. I know Firelok is away for the weekend (or longer) so it won't be up right away but hopefully everyone will be looking forward to the new Remagen map which is now finished.

I've upgraded all of the target areas, adjusted the flak settings (hopefully its not too much or too little), and done the INI up. Just for reference sake here is what is available:

RAF
B-25J
Mosquito FB.VI
Mustang Mark III=20
Spitfire IXe Clipped
Spitfire IXc +25lb boost=20
Tempest Mark V

USAAF
A-20G
P-38L Late
P-47D-27
P-47D=20
P-51C
P-51D-5
P-51D-20

Luftwaffe
Bf109G-10
Bf109G-14
Bf109K-4
Bf109K-4C3=20
Bf110G-2
FW190A-9
FW190D-9 1945
FW190F-8
He-111H-6
Ju-87G-1=10
Ju-88A-4
Do-335A-0=10
Ta-152H=20
Me-262A-1=6
Me-262A-2=6

All loadouts are unrestricted (I'd prefer to see the options wide open). The jets are heavily restricted and should be coveted by only the most experience on the map. We know that won't happen but there enough on both A-1 and A-2 types for those interested in flying them to get a crack at them. The objectives are achievable with the jets or without so you aren't totally screwed. The Do-335 is also heavily restricted but available. The Ta-152H is less restricted but still restricted as is a few other types on the Allied side that were also rarer than the rest.

At the moment the rear German base has the advanced types while the forward base has the more conventional types. The distance required to fly from the rear base to the target area is sufficiently far that it should discourage the instant action newbies from confusing a Me-262 for something that they should be flying. This does pose a problem for Allied aircraft as bouncing the jets at their base requires flying a longer distance...however...thats discouraged in the rules to begin with so hopefully this is a best possible solution.

I could still see a couple of Tempest guys hanging out north of the rear base and then rocketing Me-262s or Do-335s on takeoff.

This map will also hopefully see the introduction of the Ar-234 in the future with the 1946 addon.

Nightshifter
27-08-2006, 10:44
Looks like a winner, will look forward to this one :)

NS-IceFire
27-08-2006, 17:41
Well, by now you know that I am no big friend of late war stuff in general. I am looking forward to give that map a try, hopefully it has ground starts. :)

I'd like it better if there were no Do's or Ta's and I don't quite see a reason to limit the 25lbs RAF planes. I agree that the Arado 234 is missing, after all it was it's only major campaign. I always consider it the 1945 Mosquito.

Also, you need to explain the Tempest prop pitch feature in the briefing so 11lbs performance can be simulated. :D
Tempests fought and chased Ta-152s and Do-335s (respectively) so thus my interest in including them. We have both types in other maps and it doesn't kill them and thats with opposing planes that are neither as fast or heavily armed. So I'm looking forward to bouncing a Do-335 in my Tempest...personally.

I think my next map is Stalingrad winter...hopefully that sufficiently early war for you :)

Firelok
29-08-2006, 12:15
Ok I retrieved Remagen from under the pile of weekend spam in my eMail box, I'll put it up for testing on the server right away. :)

NS-IceFire
30-08-2006, 02:43
Ok I retrieved Remagen from under the pile of weekend spam in my eMail box, I'll put it up for testing on the server right away. :)
Thanks so much Firelok!

NS-IceFire
03-09-2006, 03:10
We played it tonight and experienced alot of lag....

Comments?

Algorex
03-09-2006, 10:48
Hmm it could be that the NW europe map itself is causing the lag, since we have had same troubles with the Hjansk mission also based on it.

NS-IceFire
03-09-2006, 16:49
Yeah...I've looked into creating a similar scenario but on one of the dogfight maps. The other possibility is the Balaton map...

Nightshifter
04-09-2006, 04:03
I was there on the test and never really noticed any lag at all - I was just enjoying the size of the map and had some really great high alt dogfights. Ran out of fuel once and nearly twice by underestimating the flight times to return to base and that is very rare.
I really like it to be honest - I like the early maps as much as the next guy but to a have a map come up like this with all the latest aircraft on both sides was a rare treat.

Great work !!!

Gordano
04-09-2006, 11:20
I have to say I didn't experience that much lag and I thoroughly enjoyed the map.

I have a feeling it is something we may well have to put up with for the sake of having an excellent scenario. We have the same problem with the Schweinfurt map, where the way the mountains are modelled cause lag, and we seem to have managed to cope with that reasonably well.

Someone mentioned they adjusted their detail levels during the mission and noticed an improvement. There is lots of objects on this map, not put on by Ice Fire, but by the actual mapper at Olegs end so thus we have no real control over this. Maybe a line in the brief acknowledging the problem and suggesting the detail adjustment as a possible work around??

The other idea, maybe to move some of the action away from the built up areas? Either Monguse or Pepper mentioned on TS that there are some areas of the map which are more detailled than others, they mentioned a harbour area (which thankfully we seem to have avoided :) ) so maybe this would be worth looking in to?

Please don't move this to a different map altogether, because I really enjoyed it and can put up with a bit of lag if I get to play this! :)

Boemher
04-09-2006, 15:20
~Played this last week and experienced little if any lag, certainly much less than on other maps. I really liked it. The D9 45 is amazing even with the spit 25 and the Tempest sniffing around. I Shot down 2 spits and a P51 on my 1st sortie they crashed in to the ground while landing trying to slow the thing down! A few sorties later I flew straight in to a gaggle of 5 Red fighters thinking they were friendlies. I managed to run on the deck at around 640Km/h in a very shallow dive until only a Mustang III ( the only one on the map :mad: ) was still chasing me. But by then Firelok shot him down.

Very nice change from late war Eastern/Pacific maps

NS-IceFire
04-09-2006, 15:32
Alright...well I'm encouraged so I'll look into editing the current scenario. I'm going to remove the barrage balloons and a few flak batteries and go from there.

Zorin
06-09-2006, 01:38
Sad thing is NW Europe is unplayable for me online. I get lag peeks every 5-10 seconds :(

I made Hjansk offline, flew it offline and it worked fine. But the first time online, no chance... Guess we need to take her out of the circle aswell.

stanford
06-09-2006, 12:11
It must be something on your end, Zorin. I can fly NW Europe with no serious lag issues on max settings.

Zorin
06-09-2006, 15:07
But it happens only on NW Europe, so what should it be?

Firelok
06-09-2006, 19:27
I think it's the amount of ground details on this map, it's a lot more detailed than the same area of russian front for example or even the Normandy map. I set my ground details lower for this map, most of it is higher altitude anyway and visually this didn't make too much difference. The 'spikiness' was of a more acceptable level after this,I even shot stuff down so more playable.

Zorin
06-09-2006, 19:41
Will try that, but we should generaly forbear from using it in future map projects.

NS-IceFire
06-09-2006, 23:10
Will try that, but we should generaly forbear from using it in future map projects.
Yeah I'll be avoiding it I think...

Firelok
12-09-2006, 21:53
Ok I've uploaded Ice's tweaked version, let's see how it goes :)

NS-IceFire
13-09-2006, 04:46
Flew it again tonight...just happened to be on the server. Was smooth as silk...like glass. Had a great time and everyone was seemingly having a good time as well.

Mission accomplished hopefully!

Zorin
13-09-2006, 05:04
Ok, maybe I simply have to stop flying on the map...I wasn't the only one with ping peaks..but hey, if the rest has no problem with it. Who am I to complain..

Algorex
13-09-2006, 10:14
Zorin i had similar problems with my old rig, but with the new one NW europe and the rest of the post PF maps run smooth as silk. I don't really know what made the difference as pretty much everything was upgraded. So in short it could just be a performance related issue, nothing to do with your connection or the game settings, but sheer lack of oomph (not the band).

Gordano
13-09-2006, 11:23
The map does have a very object count, I'm not sure what in game detail and graphics settings you have at the moment.

Maybe you could post them and we could see if we can tweak anything?

When I was using an old 64mb FX5200 (I had melted my 6600!) I toned down all the settings and was able to play with relatively few problems. I would often have to tweak for individual maps. For example landscape lighting uses a lot of resources and it is something which you can easily live without, I found on desert maps and the online island map we use for Burma that a nice FPS increase could be had.

NS-IceFire
14-09-2006, 00:43
NW Germany is probably going to be RAM intensive. If you've only got 512mb or your running slow ram then it will hurt. Or your system is badly optimized. Anyways I don't think its too bad on the video and probably a toss up on the CPU but the RAM I'll bet is the biggest issue on that map.

But honestly...last night...was flying it and it was smooth as silk. I took out some things and its improved it massively. Others were reporting fantastic experiences as well.