PDA

View Full Version : Carrier Ops Q TAKE OFF ISSUE to all pilots with experience

Happy
21-07-2006, 16:40
Hi there,

I've been flying UK2 yesterday and I had one of those lesser days.
It affected my flying, this may have gone unnoticed except from the enemy planes taking pots shots at me.

Anyway coming back to the most important thing.

taking off from the deck. Now I seemed to have had major trouble taking off with a hellcat.

the main thing was that I just scraped the water with my wheels or I experienced extreme torque to the left ending in disaster.

it should be possible to take off from a carrier, loaded with max weight, bombs, rockets and droptank? or is that only possible if ships are moving??

How do you take off? in a hellcat?

I don't have trouble with zero's or with wildcats! and a spit I can also get off the deck yet a hellcat that seems to alert the flightdeck crew with an extra liferaft rdy to be thrown overboard as I start and revv. the engine.
9 out of 10 I seem to get something wrong and I've run out of idea's.

flaps before take off, just before leaving ramp, nose down or slightly up or level, trim neutral, or tail heavy?

So all hints tips are welcome.

Algorex
21-07-2006, 17:40
I have taken off from an essex class carrier with 75% fuel, 500lb bomb and 5" HVAR it was close but i did it. Method included 120% mixture, take off flaps, tail wheel locked, full power, some rudder and immediate landing gear raise once clearing the deck.

But in general stationary carrier ops suck

Yellow 2
21-07-2006, 18:19
For a clean Hellcat I would recommend -
50% fuel, 120% mixture, 100% pitch setting, tailwheel locked, radiator closed and combat flaps. Allow the engine to rev up, hit chocks away and as the aircraft leaves the end of the flight deck hit wheels up and use the elevators to reduce the sink rate. Keep at full throttle and 120% until it is clear that you have flying speed then flaps up, 100% mixture and radiator open and away you go or not as the case may be.

I don't believe it is possible to take off with what we would consider to be a realistic loadout with many of the carrier aircraft we have. The fact that there is not a 30mph wind over the flight deck probably has something to do with it. :D

Cheers :)

Gordano
21-07-2006, 18:59
Also as crazy as it sounds,

Trim the nose down, this gets you tail wheel off the ground quickly, so you accelerate faster, and secondly if you find that the torque flips your plane over as you flop off the deck nose down trim will help reduce that effect as it prevents the planes nose from shooting up or you from yanking the stick back to much or a combination of the two and thus stops you from exacerbating the stall.

NS-IceFire
21-07-2006, 23:23
All good suggestions so far. Here's my take.

Taking off a carrier, even a stationary one, is easy in a Hellcat because the plane just floats. But you have to be careful to never fully stall the wings because inevtiably one wing will stall before the other and flip you over which is obviously REALLY bad on takeoff.

When you start on the deck go through a series of checks. Start engine, lock tailwheel, deck is cleared for takeoff, and then begin the takeoff sequence. Throttle upto 110% full WEP but do not release chocks. Take the time to let the engine rev to full power. This only takes 2 or 3 seconds in the Hellcat but there is a slight delay to the engine getting to that point. Set mix to 120% if you are carrying any sort of bombload or rockets.

Hold the rudder left to counter torque and then release the chocks. You want to focus on starting off with as much power and going down the deck in as straight a line as possible. If you weave around the deck you're really screwed. The moment (and I mean it) you reach the end of the deck drop flaps to takeoff or full flaps. You don't want to do this till you're about to drop off the front of the deck because they cause drag on the takeoff run and you need as much speed as possible...but now you need as much lift as possible. So full flaps down and focus on flying straight. Climbing is not important...just maintaining your altitude. Gear retracting as quickly as possible afterwards and just let the speed build.

The Hellcat and, to a slightly lesser extent, the Corsair will float at stall speed. They don't immediately torque over. If the wing has even a bit of lift they will float till you get more speed. Don't fight them.

Happy
22-07-2006, 06:36
printer is a running !

thank you all for your time and contributions. A good point was made setting 120 mixture. that was one of the things I haven't tried sofar.

So thanks to you I'm going to make a big effort again and regaining my carrier wing ops status reinstated. I was shipped off the ship by the air commander for well waterproofing them planes. I think he over reacted though, yet I will have another chance to proof myself in the near future.

thanks all :-)

Boemher
22-07-2006, 19:16
Lock undercarriage!

120% mix

110% throttle

Make sure supercharger is stage 1!

Rad closed

leave flaps up until you almost roll of the deck edge

Chocks away!

Get nose down as quick as you can

Hold torque with light use of the rudder

Once of deck edge dont yank stick just level out above water the build up speed

Climb away gently

Gear up

Throttle back/ Rad open (if u like)

regards

Boe

Werg
01-09-2006, 16:26
an easy way to allow fully loaded planes to take off from a stationary carrier is to place 2 carriers slighty into each other. prohibit the addditional carrier from shooting and since it is placed slightly into the other carrier (in order to ensure a continuos flight deck) both will go down when one of them is sunk!

Algorex
01-09-2006, 16:32
Wow an idea definately worth of try!

BBB_Hyperion
15-09-2006, 13:14
Additional tips.

Try to spawn at a carrier that is occupied you get more runway for takeoff .
Try using the longest carrier isnt bad either.

Try to allow plane to accelerate fast no hard inputs on acceleration .
You can fold wings and unfold em while in starting process (advanced acceleration trick).

The faster the tail goes up the faster you can pull full force on the deck and not upwards .)

Try to recover wheels instantly after passing carrier barrier and push the nose down to gain speed in best glide angle .

You can even touch the waves on some cases and survive .