PDA

View Full Version : Autumn Storm - Lets have at it

NS-IceFire
13-08-2006, 22:17
Played Autumn Storm today...remixed really. Its my first time seeing it in action and I was not a happy camper. Not about the map specifically but the way it was recieved. Nearly half voted it down right away. "Crappy Russian planes" "Crappy paper planes" "Crappy late war planes" they scream. I'm confused because everyone was bashing the fantastic Finland map before. I'm generally pissed at the complaints when we don't have their most favourite plane that they only fly ever...all the time.

Anyways...problems with the map.

1) J2M3 seems to be missing from the second base.

2) Red didn't seem to attack the tanks. When they did they seemed to do it poorly. Maybe nobody knows but Japanese tanks can be taken out by concentrated .50cal bursts. The kind that the A-20G can deliver in spades. The P-63C can take out a tank every shot of its 37mm cannon if it wanted to and several more with the .50cal. Nobody seems to know this so red doesn't seem to be able to take out the targets.

3) Blue objective at the airbase was accomplished quickly...but then we couldn't get the last target. I suspect that the siren crate counts as a target in server commander so it was impossible to win. It may require another set of targets added for blue to destroy.

4) Everyone hates it...why and how can I try and appeas this hatred.

stanford
14-08-2006, 00:08
I don't know why, I've always enjoyed that map. Sorry man :(

Zorin
14-08-2006, 02:39
Yeah, this is on eof the rare maps I like to fly japanese planes. It is a rather interstng duel between them and the VVS.

System-M-
14-08-2006, 02:45
i dont mind it.

I voted for it cos, i just wasnt in the mood for it at the time.

tho the only problems i found was like Ice said the annoying 1 target remaining thing and it being a indestructable box.

Reds hardly anyone seems to go for the targets and when you do you end up on your own somewhat out for the kill. perhaps another location??

I dont mind vlue planes i like them. thats why you see me blue :)

NS-IceFire
14-08-2006, 03:08
Yeah, this is on eof the rare maps I like to fly japanese planes. It is a rather interstng duel between them and the VVS.
See thats what I thought. I thought people would be thrilled because its the two nations fielding the best turn fighters going head on. The real battle was quite unbalanced but this should have been great.

We should fix it somehow...but I'm not going to worry too much about it. I'm still ticked at the comments. I wish people could be more constructive than "this is stupid" "I hate paper airplanes" and garbage like that.

I will supplement or replace the map when the new Manchuria map arrives.

ForkTailedDevil
14-08-2006, 14:03
I like this map too it was too bad the server went down yesterday. I enjoy using the P-63 as a fighter bomber or flying A6M's covering bombers.

stanford
14-08-2006, 15:39
I enjoy the P-63 full stop. Was it ever used Vs. the Luftwaffe? I want to fly in a western theatre. Hard.

Algorex
14-08-2006, 16:19
I enjoy the P-63 full stop. Was it ever used Vs. the Luftwaffe? I want to fly in a western theatre. Hard.

USA gave the kingcobras to the russians to be used against japan, but as usual some of them were delivered to west and used against germans in 1945, usually they were writen down as airacobras in official papers to hide the fact that they were used against the wrong enemy some 7000km away from where they were supposed to be. :D

Boemher
14-08-2006, 16:35
I like this map too , its good outurning La5s ect in Japanese planes and having to use Yak9U as an Energy fighter.

My favourite plane however is the Yak 9B its got the ability to carry 4 x 100kg (IIRC) behind cockpit in internal bay making handling when loaded interesting to say the least :p

Gordano
14-08-2006, 17:04
I'm just wondering how all the people who whinge about Autumn Storm are going to react when Manchuria comes out :D

http://www.battle-fields.com/commscentre/showthread.php?t=11273

Happy
14-08-2006, 17:26
it's a lot of work map making, some people are hard to please.
Besides, people who only want to fly the best planes in order to win, don't rate high in my book.

Don''t get me wrong here. Yet be realistic did the british hurricane pilots in the beginning of the war, cry out in outrage or leave. during those times the balance in technology shifted so did the skill of the pilots. Thrust me nothing is sweeter than to shoot down a better equiped opponent. sheer joy that is :-)

All I'm saying ignore those comments made by those few. I prefer older planes myself for it makes it a bit harder with less firepower and more limitations on some planes yet I enjoyed flying that map yesterday. was surprised a p63 had so much cannon ammo :-)

So don't loose sleep over it about some people complaining. if they can do a better job they should make a map and mail it for the server or be a member I suppose.
besides if you don't like it, just type in <vote. and then you can choose log in later, when the map rotation is on the next one, or just stop whining like a little kid and accept that other people are also flying. It is still your choice to participate, you can always log out!

so cheer up, focus on the positive input on the map from others and not on the personal comments off a few who where online ;-)

Crashin'Sakai
14-08-2006, 19:27
Take it easy Ice. When I was new to the UK1 a year ago, I discovered a player named Bohmer, Bohemer, or whatever he spelled his callsign on that particular day. (He was using several similar names at that time, all K/D = 30 or something. I didnt even know he was BF.) He shot down 5 or 6 La's and Yak's in his Ki84a or b, etc. in probalby 30 minutes or less, and I felt, oh my buddha, what kind of server is this? This is a different level of game I never saw before. Who are these people? He typed "Ki84 rocks" or something, I still remember the shock and awe. Truly skilled pilots can make the best out of any planes and they never complain, because they can do well anyway.... I don;t think my oinion matters, but I love flying both blue and red in that map.

NS-IceFire
14-08-2006, 22:19
How about tanks that don't shoot at aircraft and cars that can be destroyed by gunfire?
Are the tanks I placed there shooting at aircraft? Are they doing anything to stop them? I honestly took out almost a whole row of tanks and nearly the whole target near the bridge offline in an A-20G. I realize that I'm pretty decent at ground attack but Red seemed incapable...maybe just the team.

Glad some people like it. I'm encouraged at the very least. It was just met with such hostility from all around.

NS-IceFire
14-08-2006, 22:25
The P-63 is an interesting plane. Its not well known by anyone as the Russians don't want to admit that the Americans sent them two aircraft (P-39 and P-63) that were generally better than their own and the Americans ignore it because they didn't like it. So its generally absent from history.

The P-63 was given to the Russians with express intent that all P-63's would be used against the Japanese in China. Incentive to attack the Japanese, bring the Russians into the war on the other front and try and end that conflict early. Ironically enough the Atom Bomb did that while the Russian involvement into the conflict with the Japanese didn't last that long. I believe the Manchurian offensive lasted only several days...the Russians totally flattened a disorganized and badly equipped Japanese force. Then the Japanese surrendered to the Allies with the atom bombs being dropped on them.

The P-63 was also used against the Luftwaffe...we do have it on a few maps but it could stand to be used on a few more. Since it wasn't officially allowed to be used against the Luftwaffe it was listed often as a P-39. German reports have indicated a number of attacks against German positions by a P-39 that was much larger than normal.

Kurland maps and Berlin maps should have the P-63C as it was used there. Not officially...but it was there.

Firelok
14-08-2006, 23:02
I think I mentioned the 'siren-crate' thing elsewhere, It's easy to remove or the alternative is more targets and a 95% destruction requirement.
P.S. I like autumn storm too, pitting VVS vs IJA is unique here and makes a refreshing change.

NS-IceFire
15-08-2006, 00:28
I think I'm going to need to make another target area for Blue...otherwise its just too easy to win. The only reason blue team didn't was because we couldn't get that crate.

Firelok, I'm not sure if you have ...but I'm wondering if you can send me the INI and map from the server (it seems a bit modified from my version).

Firelok
15-08-2006, 01:56
Sure I'll attach it to an eMail but If there are only minor mods, detail your changes and I could do it and upload it quicker, send us a PM if this is what you want to do. :)

NS-IceFire
15-08-2006, 23:02
I want to make another target area...thus the want to have the map back to create the new target area for blue. Blue could have won the map that I was playing on within 15 minutes if 4 or 5 players go after the red airbase (and the objective isn't impossible). I think this worked better when we were running FB Daemon. With SC...I will modify things to make it work a little better.

So a little deeper change than just a quick modify of the INI.

EDIT: I do have to say that I think I captured the right feel with the landscape. The morning fog plus the extra landmarks help I hope.

Firelok
16-08-2006, 00:21
rgr that m8 keep an eye on your inbox for eMail+files :)

Firelok
17-08-2006, 10:47
For the time being I've removed the siren from blues target airfield, making this objective doable for blues.

NS-IceFire
17-08-2006, 22:18
Thanks Firelok.

I've got it...I started work on it. But a quick fix to the mission briefing, overuse of the backspace key, and the Pe-2 FMB bug has removed my progress so I'll just do it again this weekend.

Firelok
19-08-2006, 03:27
Have updated the server with this version, I sent you a PM Ice about this.

NS-IceFire
19-08-2006, 06:02
Thanks Firelok! We'll see if this upgraded version works better!

Xiola
21-08-2006, 04:14
Take it easy Ice. When I was new to the UK1 a year ago, I discovered a player named Bohmer, Bohemer, or whatever he spelled his callsign on that particular day. (He was using several similar names at that time, all K/D = 30 or something. I didnt even know he was BF.) He shot down 5 or 6 La's and Yak's in his Ki84a or b, etc. in probalby 30 minutes or less, and I felt, oh my buddha, what kind of server is this? This is a different level of game I never saw before. Who are these people? He typed "Ki84 rocks" or something, I still remember the shock and awe. Truly skilled pilots can make the best out of any planes and they never complain, because they can do well anyway.... I don;t think my oinion matters, but I love flying both blue and red in that map.

Lmao, take a look at the player RolandWalker posted just above you ;)

Hes not that good, in fact I have often hated flying with him because he gets shot down so often. He is particularly bad in the FW190 ;)

I like the map.