PDA

View Full Version : Map based on a true account

602RAF_Menden
29-11-2006, 08:30
I found this account of an attack while surfing for information

*On the 1st of March, Allied intelligence picked up vital information. The Japanese planned to reinforce their garrison at Lae with 7,000 soldiers. Their force consisted of eight Maru (7 troop ships and 1 cargo ship laden with aviation fuel) and eight destroyers, with 30 Zeros on CAP. General Kenney ordered an all-out attack, 200 bombers and 130 fighters, which was very successful.

Covered by P-38's, P-39's, and P-40's, the American bombers ripped into the thin-skinned Japanese vessels, sinking all eight Maru and four destroyers. The aerial destruction of 15-20 Zeroes was icing on the cake. Lynch shot one down. The aggressive Bob Faurot and Hoyt Eason, flying in Faurot's division, were killed that day.*

sounds like a good idea for a map mission :)

I'll see what I can come up with

602RAF_Menden

Algorex
29-11-2006, 10:17
Also known as Battle of the bismarck sea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Bismark_Sea) :D

Problem is the balance between forces defending zeros have to shoot down b-17s, b-25s, a-20gs and beaufighters (also the upcoming a-20c as beaufort) covered by our p-38j, p-39d and p-40e. Tough job to say the least.

But yes i liked to see this as mission, because 1) it's midwar pacific and 2) we have the map and the planes to do it

Firelok
29-11-2006, 19:50
Other issues include what do blues attack? or are they just on a defender mission like Pearl Harbour?

602RAF_Menden
29-11-2006, 21:20
I was thinking of adding a few red submarines next to a fuel tanker in mid ocean the same distance the reds have to fly to target.

this I hope will give both attacking & defending for both sides of equal flight time.

I'm also considering giving the dive bombers like the val & SBD air starts for each in the hope that more players take these over fighters only.

of course I'll have to balance the planes sets to match, so a little alteration to the actual event's is called for

602RAF_Menden