PDA

View Full Version : Disco nights

Paulie
06-12-2006, 12:10
I have been having an uncommonly bad run of discos lately due to lag lockouts on some maps on UKD2. I have not had such bad luck on UKD1.

Are there known issues regarding which maps are best avoided for lag spikes?

Cheers

Paulie

Firelok
06-12-2006, 15:28
some maps on UKD2. Which ones?
Obviously the simpler the map, less objects, less flyable planes choice and indeed a smaller landscape map causes less lag. But over time with people getting better systems we can try more and make more elaborate scenario's.
Whether the lags spikes and disco's you are talking about are related to the map or to other server issues is a moot point. I very rarely get kicked out (and i've not got a brilliant computer) but yesterday I had a proper disco/crash that caused my whole comp to restart.(or something my end went toes up and caused a disco.)

Now we do have some big complicated maps in the cycle it's true but whether they are so complicated/big as to cause too many problems to render them not worth having is also a moot point. Some of these maps are also our most popular and exciting content.

Paulie
06-12-2006, 16:07
I think you are probably right, it would be a good idea to strip down my settings and build up bit by bit to see if there is a particular fault at my end before levelling the problem solely with the map. Also, it is incumbent apon me to update my system rather than request that right and proper advancements are made in map building activity.

I suppose I was just trying to get an idea of the maps which are more likely (in the expert opinion of the creators) to cause me problems at this stage in order to help me decide whether I should push my luck. I am in total agreement that the maps I had problems with were realy fun. But, to be frank I neglected to note their names before the discos and stayed out after the crashes. I will try to be more diligent in my reporting next time I have problems.

BTW loving your work Firelok, I hope this post is not seen in any way as a critisism of your excellent efforts.

Algorex
06-12-2006, 16:24
Also the usual system clean up could help: defrag, delete unnecessary files etc.

LeadSucker
06-12-2006, 17:30
I have also had a lot of discos lately. Never had them before.

Also the usual system clean up could help: defrag, delete unnecessary files etc.
I saw that the Netcache thumbs for IL2 was the most fragmented file in my system. Defragmenting in now...

Gordano
06-12-2006, 18:08
I've had an incredibly random thing happen to me where players join the server and my system does not recognise them and they do not show on my scores page. I also don't see their plane and If they type something in chat it shows up on the server but in white with no name by it. All very strange :confused:

Disconnecting and rejoining seems to fix it. Also I've been noticing a load of java script errors in my console in game.

Algorex
06-12-2006, 18:21
I've had an incredibly random thing happen to me where players join the server and my system does not recognise them and they do not show on my scores page. I also don't see their plane and If they type something in chat it shows up on the server but in white with no name by it. All very strange :confused:

Disconnecting and rejoining seems to fix it. Also I've been noticing a load of java script errors in my console in game.

Reinstall is "the cure" for that, luckily with the new dvd coming you'll have a perfect opportunity to do so ;)