PDA

View Full Version : Okinawa

Firelok
12-12-2006, 18:01
Please rate this topic to rate the map.
When do we get to play? then I get to rate ;)
But it looks good.I wanna try. :D

Firelok
12-12-2006, 19:22
Looking forwards to seeing it soon. post-1946 :D

Firelok
14-12-2006, 17:16
Sorry for being a bit thick but because there are 4.07m won't this cause problems with a 4.05m server? Or will it just ignore any objects it doesn't recognise?

Firelok
14-12-2006, 17:28
If FB doesn't know it, it will be ignored. Simple. :)

What you get are a few still AI planes like the N1K2 or Ki-43II along with a very few missing static objects. No harm done at all.
Excellent, thanks mate for your hard works :)

Sonko
15-12-2006, 09:43
A problem has shown up with one of the red airbases because there is too little space on it. When the player takes the Betty bomber for example at some spawningpionts it will crash with its tail right into some static aircrafts:wall:. I wonder that this doesn't happen on the Pearl Harbour map because there are also static planes close to the spawning points.

Can somebody sort out this instant-damage-spawn please?

Firelok
15-12-2006, 10:12
A problem has shown up with one of the red airbases because there is too little space on it. When the player takes the Betty bomber for example at some spawningpionts it will crash with its tail right into some static aircrafts:wall:. I wonder that this doesn't happen on the Pearl Harbour map because there are also static planes close to the spawning points.

Errm Red AirBase? Betty Bomber? that's a blue plane I'm confused. Anyway I can't edit this cause it's got 4.07m objects I'm sure JtD will sort this out but your post is a little confusing though.
Sorry but the Pearl harbour static aircraft are a feature (and a hazard) of that map alone to simulate the Anarchy at Henderson Field.I'm pretty sure that none of the Static Planes are actually on a spawn point though.

Sonko
15-12-2006, 10:26
Oh, sorry....of course I mean blue and not red :thwak:

I'm at school, that means sometimes I can't concentrate, well....:rolleyes:

NS-IceFire
15-12-2006, 21:24
This might not be an issue in 4.07 and later but in 4.05 the P-51D-5 is more stable while firing than the D-20...and ...in the Pacific the N-5 gunsight was still used on the majority of Mustang's until very late into the war and then it was mixed.

So you could consider putting the D-5 in instead...or both. Or if the firing issue is cleared up and you otherwise don't care too much about it (its a small thing) then leave it as is.

Love the concept for the map...it looks great...I can't wait to try it. I've been tinkering with the Okinawa map myself but I haven't come up with anything good yet. So well done!

NS-IceFire
16-12-2006, 22:09
Not sure if it was coincidence or what...but I conducted an attack run on the American targets using a Ki-100 and its pair of 250kg bombs. My bombs landed dead center taking out the targets and destroying almost half of the town (the Japanese 250kg seem to have a large blast area). The server then crashed...

Could just be the server.

The map looked great...too bad it was only going for about 5 minutes.

Chatanooga
19-01-2007, 12:19
Played the latest version of this last night.

I tried the Ohka MXY Cherry Blossom, I figured I dont usually return home on a bombing run anyway ;)

Wasnt sure at first if it was having an effect on the ships, then all of a sudden ships started to sink. There were 3 of us attacking the ships and we destroyed the required amount in a quicker time than using conventional bombs. However non of us got any points or stats, as we were dead before the ships sunk. Once the ships had been taken care of I turned my attention to the ground targets. You dont have enough fuel to get all the way there but the Cherry Blossom is one hell of a glider. Its a very errie feeling when all of a sudden the roar of your jets stopped, to be replaced by a peacfull silence. The impact and shock wave of the explosion was very suprising and quite effective, I even managed to get a few objects listed as destroyed in stats (no points in game though). After 3 impacts I had reduced the target count from 58 to 20 (I completly missed on the 4th run, then the time ran out). In conclusion, if you arent bothered about your KD ratio a group of people using the Blossom can have a big impact.

Firelok
29-01-2007, 11:14
I found this to be pretty laggy overall TBO, theres a lot of Naval AAA and counter-battery fire, e.g. the IJN Destroyer parked next to southern blue base is engaging targets to the north.Lot's of AAA over the Red fleet, everythings firing .
I like the layout now and there's some good air to air fights to be had but I'm thinking it needs some 'performance' tweaks.

NS-IceFire
29-01-2007, 22:12
It's also the big Okinawa map. The dogfight one could have been used as well...

NS-IceFire
01-02-2007, 16:43
Might be hard...the map co-ordinates are not the same. Unless you know of a utility that could make the map transition? Just a thought that it may help with the lag situation.

I really do like the map. Had a great time the last time I flew it...hope we can keep it more or less intact!

NS-IceFire
03-02-2007, 15:30
Wow...didn't realize it was that easy. Well done JtD. Hopefully that will abait any of the problems people are having...I'm not sure if it will but since the option is open.

Firelok
19-05-2007, 11:04
I've taken the liberty of tweaking the brief here so as it gives the correct map coordinates rather than the offline okinawa map ones. In terms of planeset and this new layout this makes for a great map, however last week we had to abandon it because of problems with the framerates people were getting. At that time there were 4 or 5 Syndicate members present and we made a group decision to move to the next map. If at all possible I think some further 'streamlining' would be good.

NS-IceFire
08-07-2007, 23:38
I think there is just simply too much flak on this map. The last few times I played it the map was generally fine and then a few Blue planes would get over the Red bases (and vice versa) and the flak fire is just intense. I think the Bofors needs to be halved and maybe add a couple (two or three at the most) of extra big gun flak batteries if need be.

Sonko
09-07-2007, 06:59
The heavy aaa is necessary at the bases, it prevents basecamping which very likely because of the small distance from red to blue base. But the 40mm Bofors is a pretty good friendly's shooter, it got me about four times instead of the bandit in front of me. :rolleyes:

NS-IceFire
09-07-2007, 22:02
Buf if its causing allot of lag then there needs to be some sort of work done to try and prevent that. The Red team has the carrier option right now but maybe Le Shima needs to be opened up as another Red team option if the other bases get "snowed in" with Blues.

Something needs to be done to increase performance...I think allot of people want to like this map because its allot of fun but it is very laggy...its not as bad when the server is half full but when its completely full it can be somewhat painful.

Firelok
09-07-2007, 23:03
Something needs to be done to increase performance...I think allot of people want to like this map because its allot of fun but it is very laggy...its not as bad when the server is half full but when its completely full it can be somewhat painful.

I'm inclined to think this myself, i'm not sure it's the AAA though on it's own. There are a lot of objects on this map, I agree that it's a scenario that folks enjoy a lot too.Might have to tweak things for performance.

Firelok
10-07-2007, 05:06
THis is the part of doing what I do for Uk2 that I hate the most but I have edited this map and thinned out the objects. Both the number of trees and other things from a file size of 51kb down to 37kb. This includes some target objects from both sides. I have a backup of the Okinawa that was on the server too so we can revert if needs be.

If this trimming is inneffective we might have to look at the AAA levels that are active. The Blue airfields are protected by multiple batteries of 3x25mm which are going to chuck up a lot of tracer if they are attacked, still this isn't the only lag spot.

Part of me thinks that Object_165 the little stand of trees might be a problem object possibly from the complexity of shadows it makes, I am guessing here.
The villages on all of the Pacfic maps are pretty detailed and there are several in a small area of the Okinawa map so I think the 'base level' of objects to be rendered is quite high before we start adding new ones.

Deciding when something needs performance tweaking is a troublesome one, what causes one player lagginess may leave another unnaffected, all we can do as I see it is respond when there seems to be a large enough amount of people mentioning this.

Again I'm not pleased doing this but if we can make things better for more people on what is a popular planeset then it's worth trying.

NS-IceFire
11-07-2007, 00:18
Thanks for giving it a shot Firelok. We'll see if it makes a difference or not.

I do know that its not just me because other people are always asking if everyone else is getting lag when were on this map and the answer is usually yes...or maybe sometimes. It doesn't seem to happen to all people at the same time.

If anything I do think its the two Allied bases ...they must have something like 20 pieces of Bofors from the appearances. Maybe its less but it always seems to crop up with the worst lag when the Japanese are over the US bases.

Firelok
15-07-2007, 02:05
Me and ice played Okinawa this afternoon in a half/three quarter full server. And it was better but when the AAA opened up both over blue and red land bases it got real slow for some.

So I've taken the performance tweaks still further and altered the make up of the AAA at all four bases and reduced the amount of it slightly. I wouldn't have done this unless it was strictly neccessary to stop these side issues interfering with the P51vsKi84 fun.

I think, if neccessary there is the option to switch to one landbase each as the current spawn radius of both the concrete red base and the cross shaped blue one doesn't actually cover the whole base.

In short I think it's possible to spawn the whole of the land based aircraft from two bases. If these don't have 17 spawn places at maximum size it must be pretty close and Blues have an airstart offshore and reds a carrier start out there too.