PDA

View Full Version : Using the kiev map

Firelok
23-12-2006, 17:23
what I'd like to try before anyone goes heavily into a new project involving the Kiev map is to see whether it's actually usable in terms of online lag/scale etc.
So literally a testbed to see if we can use it effectively. It's a lovely map BTW I spent an hour or so bombing around on it in a Mig3 the other day, it would be great if we can use it with minimal problems.

NS-IceFire
23-12-2006, 23:59
I suspect its like the Berlin map...if thats the case then it should be usable if carefully done.

Zorin
24-12-2006, 02:15
With my upgrade to 1GB of RAM even NWE is lag free. Well, with 20 players on that is.

Firelok
24-12-2006, 11:31
With my upgrade to 1GB of RAM even NWE is lag free. Well, with 20 players on that is.
I think a lot of maps become much more laggy when we approach 35 players. I've had some recent upgrades too (a much better grfx card.) that have improved things but lagginess can be incredibly frustrating online and I think trying to minimise it is a good cause to follow.

Gordano
24-12-2006, 12:28

Christmas present I take it? :)

I'm assuming that Kiev is another map with loads of ground objects?

Have we thought about maybe keeping our missions as simple as possible for these type of maps, ie basic targets such as convoys and armoured formations rather than some of the uber detailed works of art which have been produced in the past. I know its a little bit of a step backwards for us, but it may help to keep things ticking over a little smoothly, also maybe keeping the planesets quite simple - ie. very few restrictions on the loadouts etc. to take some of the load of the server. I don't know whether this even affects the server, but I'm guessing that if the server has to log and track who's using what etc. I'm sure it's going to mean extra work etc.

We use SC to pretty much it's limit and this coupled with detailed complex objectives and targets leads me to the impression that the server is working overtime. People often saying how other plain (targetless) dogfight servers do not have any lag etc. with more players leads me to this conclusion and as such we may be able to squeeze a little more from the server with a few "cut backs".

Firelok
24-12-2006, 12:41
I agree with Gordano here,maps with limited planesets/objects would reduce lagginess and increase playability. Theres a tendancy to produce more and more complex maps over time, keeping the very detailed target areas for small online maps would be a way to go. I get as involved as anyone creating target complexes for people to blow up but there is an online efficiency criteria that we are mad to ignore, no matter how well it performs for me personally I need to spare a thought for making it enjoyable for someone who may have a different set-up from me.Another thought is that there are a lot of flyers who couldn't give a monkey's for our detailed targets are are interested only in air to air combat, (at least 70% of our 'market' I'm guessing).

Zorin
24-12-2006, 13:36
You might be right Gordano and Firelok, but I still appreciate a well thought-out target area. Convoys of trucks and tanks are the most boring thing you could ever encounter on a bombing run and therefor should be avoided if possible. It is simply no challenge for a half decent bomber pilot, yet there is no point in going overboard, like Libau, as 70+% won't appreciate the work that went into such a target area. Therefor I will keep details down on my next map. Kiev 1941, already scared guys? :eek: ;)