PDA

View Full Version : Singapore 1941

Kat
02-01-2007, 12:41
This is a map I just sent in for consideration for UKD2.

It's set in Singapore just before the fall of singapore it's self. It see's the remaining RAF and RAAF forces helping fight a last ditch stand and try to slow the Japanese whilst the RN tries to pull people out with a small convoy that is loading up.

The RAF/RAAF have to protect the convoy and attack Japanese ground forces.

The Japanese are going after the escaping personel.

RAAF/RAF
BlenheimIV
BuffaloMkI
Hurricane IIb (20 max)
J8A

Japanese
D3A1
Ki-21-II
Ki-27-Ko
Ki-27-Otsu
Ki-43-Ia
Ki-43-Ib (20 max)

http://www.bananaz.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/singapore.jpg

http://www.bananaz.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/singapore2.jpg

http://www.bananaz.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/singapore3.jpg

http://www.bananaz.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/singapore4.jpg

http://www.bananaz.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/singapore5.jpg

Algorex
02-01-2007, 12:52
Two things, firstly we have a "singapore" map: as seen on this thread about remaking singapore (http://www.battle-fields.com/commscentre/showthread.php?t=10954) and secondly are you using the actual offline singapore map because that's a big one and it might cause lag problems.

Kat
02-01-2007, 13:34
It is the big singapore map although only using the very southern tip of it. From a glance at the remaking thread seems mine is fairly different being the invasion rather than the end of the battle for singapore.

Kat
02-01-2007, 17:03
Added the FMB map.

Roughly 5 mins between the bases.

Kat
03-01-2007, 13:50
I've just sent a revised map in.

Altered the amount and layout of vehicles and flak for the one Japanese target ( the one in the town ). Flak is 2x20mm, 1x85
Added flak around the allied base.
Added a correct UKD2 description.

Firelok
03-01-2007, 15:50
Apart from some technical brief and .ini things this has gone on to the Server
unaltered by my vile hand.
Can be called using the name. Singapore41.mis
(sorry I had to alter the name, we dont get to use spaces.)
I'm very interested to see if the Singapore map is supportable online, as this has a number of useful 'scenario areas' asides from Singapore itself.
Anyways a round of applause for Kat :)

Kat
03-01-2007, 18:15
I left the Ki-21 and Blenheim off as they are external only and I personally hate flying external :).

They are the correct bombers for the scenario though. Which I guess leaves the decision as to include the externals or just rely on single seaters. Personally the single seater option might be a better one but I'll go either ( although need help in adding external aircraft ).

I actually thought the area quite compact but I guess it is a bit further than I thought.

Zorin
03-01-2007, 19:04
One thing you should learn rather fast: Your own opinion is the least important. You have to make a map work and that might involves a lot of tweaking and sacrifice.

If you have a little time, read the threads about my Semi-historical map and the Libau raid. That should teach you quite a bit about how things are handled here.

Kat
04-01-2007, 02:06
One thing you should learn rather fast: Your own opinion is the least important. You have to make a map work and that might involves a lot of tweaking and sacrifice.

If you have a little time, read the threads about my Semi-historical map and the Libau raid. That should teach you quite a bit about how things are handled here.
Oh I understand that, just opening up options.

In simple terms - externals or not.. or looking at it the other way.. do we have enough to enjoy the map with just single seaters? The Blues have only soft targets so should be able to kill everything without a twin, the red's have the divebomber which will kill the boats ok. But as you say it's not 100% up to me so just opening the options for discussion :D

NS-IceFire
04-01-2007, 02:23
Interesting...

I toyed with a similar concept but ended up just making the current Singapore map better. This could work and I'm pleased to see the map used. Although the large size of the map could be a concern, I'm not too worried overall, as the map is quite low on details outside of the main city. The surrounding villages probably have a lower object count than half of the Normandy map so we're probably ok performance side. Kyushu is another large map with far more objects and it runs decently well if tweaked enough.

I do think the planeset could use some work.

Balancing history with playability my suggestions are as follows:

Allies (RAF, RAAF, RNZAF)
Buffalo Mark I - This was by far the most common Allied fighter in the theater. I know most people think this plane performs like the B-239 but it doesn't...its a pig in maneuvers and much slower to accelerate.
Hurricane Mark IIb - Mark IIa and Mark IIb were both introduced late in the battle but in relatively significant strength...didn't have any serious impact on the outcome of the battle
J8A - I'm not sure on how many Gladiators were around but I think it ultimately is a fun plane to have.
Hawk81A-2?? - I see you've chosen this as an option...the AVG wasn't really around and the RAF didn't use their Hawks in the battle. I don't think it'd be a huge problem and might add something extra to the planeset but I think this should be limited to 10 planes.
Blenheim IV - I believe some of these were present. Ultimately, it makes a decent light bomber. Not a heavy payload so I don't think you're soft targets are in any danger. The A-20C I don't think is a good idea since its faster than everything else in the theater and too well protected.

Japanese
D3A1 - A good substitute for some of the army co-op aircraft that the JAAF had on hand.
Ki-21 - I think this is a better choice than the G4M which is too well protected by the 20mm stinger. If we had an earlier model G4M this would probably be ok.
Ki-27-Ko
Ki-27-Otsu -Evidently Ki-27s were heavily used in this theater as I have recently discovered.
Ki-43-Ia
Ki-43-Ib - Some Ki-43's were on hand as well in decent numbers. My suggestion would be a limit of 25 Ki-43-Ib's. I mostly suggest this because the Buffalo Mark I is a pig but its fairly well protected. That said, most light machine guns will knock out something critical if given a good blast and the Ib's heavy machine gun is important in helping this out.

I might also suggest making the J8A's available at Seletar AF. The main base inside of the city will hurt performance a bit for some people and this may keep them playing. Also having the bi-planes out infront will probably not hurt the blues that much anyways as they will typically have speed and maneuvering advantages and the J8A isn't much of a threat given the planeset anyways.

Just my friendly suggestions...balance considerations for both sides are definitely important. Zorin makes a very good point...you don't build maps for you...you build them for everyone to play. So sometimes you end up putting planes on the map that you frequently don't use or object to using but for history or balance sake you put (or remove) them in.

Good luck with finishing the map!

Kat
04-01-2007, 03:33
How do I add external only planes?

Your planeset looks good icefire.

I think I chose the hawk after reading somewhere it was used but quite possible I was mistaked. IIb for hawk maybe?

Firelok
04-01-2007, 09:32
You have to add them as static aircraft along with other planes your going to use in the appropriate markings ;) but also to manually add them into the text of the .mis file and the .ini file on the appropriate sides. Each plane has a unique name for example, BlenheimIV. You can extract this from another offline mission that uses AI plane flights or airwarfare.com has links to an il2bornplace.list that has almost all of the il2 plane codes,AI or otherwise.

Ice-Fire has come up with a very good idea here I think that addresses some of JtD's concerns about the scale of the map too, using the forward airfield for Gladiators with minimal (or no!! :eek: )AAA protecting it should create some dense turning Ki-27/Gladiator furballs over the river.

I'd like to see Hurricanes' rather than Hawk's myself.

Kat
04-01-2007, 14:37
Map revised.. edited first post for planeset.

Also changed the flak and added the second allied airbase.

Firelok
04-01-2007, 17:45
Revised version uploaded, lets try it out admins :)

Yellow 2
04-01-2007, 18:43
Just finished flying a Ki -27 Otsu on the map and if Red want to dogfight it's untouchable. Keep the speed up and stand it on its tail and it will soar up under full throttle and get you out of trouble.

A fun map no matter which side you fly. :)

Boemher
04-01-2007, 20:20
Great map,

I love the planset, distances are spot on too.

Ki -21 was good fun, next time I may try the Ki-27 then Im afraid its time for some vastly superior ass handage in the Hurricane :mp5:

Kat
05-01-2007, 02:03
What would you suggest I change on the allied shipping area to make it a little harder. More armour?

Algorex
05-01-2007, 02:05
More ships me thinks. Maybe some sleeping light destroyers.

Kat
05-01-2007, 13:07
I'm warey about Armour because it need's accurate hits but a couple just to add to the skill ( there's already two Stuarts ) level needed sounds good.

So

1) extra ship
2) 3? Valentines.
3) a second vehicle convoy

Sound good?

Kat
05-01-2007, 14:24
Modded and submitted..

Changed the second AA to a browning.

Added a mixed group of lorries and Valentines near it.

Added a second ( very low RoF ) destroyer.

Kat
11-01-2007, 13:48
I noticed this got played last night. AFAIK this is the first time since I adjusted the targets. Is it playing ok now?

Kat
13-01-2007, 13:11
Just been playing this map and the Blenheim and 21 where AWOL. Re-added and sent to firelok. Please let me know if they don't appear next time.

Firelok
13-01-2007, 13:40
H'mm bit odd this one, the version I've got is exactly the version that Kat's just sent me. I've heard that sometimes the overwrite option on FtP doesn't always work correctly maybe this is whats happened here. Anyway I've definately uploaded a Ki-27 /Blenheim version today.

As another thought I flew this the other day and the Ki27 was present, don't quite know what's happenned TBO.

Kat
13-01-2007, 13:46
Ki21 not Ki27 firelok :P

Firelok
13-01-2007, 13:51
Ki21 not Ki27 firelok :P
Ok, my bad. It should be on now though.

NS-IceFire
22-01-2007, 02:36
Just a request. We've got quite a few early morning/late day maps...and Singapore looks great but I think it would be better if it were say 0930 in the morning instead. Just so much low light.

Other than that...had a great time. Flying a Hurricane and a Buffalo against the Japanese. Quite a few furballs, some interesting fighting at palmtop level over Singapore, a couple of Ki-21 bomber raids...good times!