PDA

View Full Version : Dunkirk 1940

Kat
05-01-2007, 02:59
Whilst at work ( which gives me loads of time to think ) I've been thinking about a Dunkirk map.

This is in a way a switcharound of the Normandy map and is clearly going to be the blues attacking and red's defending.

Problem is the reds aircraft seem too limited and maybe this map is a pipedream.

I have

Red

Hurricane MkI (which may be TOO limited as I'm not sure if BoF Hurri's had Shillings oraface )
Gladiator ( Not sure how many there where )
Blenheim

I'd like a fairy battle of some sort too.

Blue
Early 109's
He111
Ju87
Ju88

Obviously blues would be attacking a mix of forces around a town and on a beach plus shipping.

Red's shooting them down in droves.

thoughts?

I'm thinking impractical but would like your opinion.

Zorin
05-01-2007, 03:16
I'm working on a Pe2 skin so it becomes a Potez 631. Should give you a decent bomber for reds.

http://www.nkrmodels.com.au/azur-36.jpg

Kat
05-01-2007, 03:39
Ahh nice thinking.. maybe an italian or russian single seater.. lagg maybe? for the French single seaters?

Firelok
05-01-2007, 09:30
Yep we are pretty scuppered for early war balance really, there's only so much substitution you can do. We can't even do a Battleof Britain without taking liberties with Spitfires or just having Hurricanes. Of course the war only started in 1941 ;) :rolleyes:

MrAsh
05-01-2007, 09:37
A very early Lagg and a Dewotine Thingy don't look to. different, well ok they do but meh its close enough for me!

The Hurri II is a better match for an Emil in this game methinks.

The French also had some Hawks?

Yellow 2
05-01-2007, 09:58
The lack of the Spit MK1 is the big drawback. Gladiators went to France with 607 & 615 squadrons but whether they were still there by the time of Dunkirk is another matter. The Pe2 mod is good idea and would give Red a bomber, Perhaps the Hawk could be worked in as a French fighter.

As for the Italians, I stand to be corrected, but I think they declared war just after Dunkirk so their aircraft are appropriate for a BoB scenario but not for late May early June 1940. :)

bokatar
05-01-2007, 10:35
When externals are on, no hurri has no chance against any emils.. (at least on 1v1 situations) FR might be a better choice for this matchup...

Whirlinmerlin
05-01-2007, 11:06
When externals are on, no hurri has no chance against any emils.. (at least on 1v1 situations) FR might be a better choice for this matchup...

I disagree check out Belgrade, sure it's hard in a hurri but not 'no chance' .

MrAsh
05-01-2007, 11:30
we do have some Hurri Aces that can and do rule the skies in the things, something about cutting the throttle during turns I think bohemer was saying..

There are worst matchups around :o

Algorex
05-01-2007, 11:37
I disagree check out Belgrade, sure it's hard in a hurri but not 'no chance' .

On Belgrade it's a bit different since the reds have fast planes in addition to the hurri, so hurri pilot can choose his battles and get the faster IK-3s and bf-109s to help him when needed. Alone hurricane needs tactical advantage to engage a n emil.

Whirlinmerlin
05-01-2007, 11:51
On Belgrade it's a bit different since the reds have fast planes in addition to the hurri, so hurri pilot can choose his battles and get the faster IK-3s and bf-109s to help him when needed. Alone hurricane needs tactical advantage to engage a n emil.

By help do u mean swoop in and finish of the emil you've crippled with .303 then clear off and offer no cover?

Whinge aside I'm not dening the hurri is at a disadvantage but it's not totally helpless.

Boemher
05-01-2007, 12:52
Well we all know my feelings on the matter, a few Hurricane pilots who enjoy getting stuck in and know their plane well can make a big difference in this kind of planeset. There was an epic battle some months back on this map where I got marooned behind enemy lines with half my wing blown off and an oil leak. Happy and Nightshifter were definitely involved and there were about half a dozen Bf 109 Es milling around trying to shoot me down. A running fight developed with more red reinforcements arriving and I just made it back to base eeking out the last bits of power from my shattered engine.

Its a brilliant match up imo

Kat
05-01-2007, 13:05
Yes Hawks where in the French Airforce... all be it the Hawk 75 not 81.

So how does the following sound :-

Armée de l'Air
Lagg3 1941 (for Dewoitine D.520)
Hawk 81 (for Hawk 75)
A20C (for A20A)

RAF
Hurricane IIb (I'm 99% sure they had the Orifice which the I doesn't have)
Blenheim

Luftwaffe
Bf109E-4 (technically should be 3's)
Bf110
Ju88
He111
Ju87 (earliest model)