PDA

View Full Version : Rhur Encirclement

NS-IceFire
07-01-2007, 04:51
Working on a couple of maps now that I have 1946 in my hands. The first is the Rhur Encirclement (just Rhur for Server Commander purposes). This is a very late war scenario and its meant to be a sub for Remagen which didn't work out so well due to the map having poor performance on some peoples computers.

This on the other hand uses one of the generic dogfight maps. A bit boring in that sense but hopefully the action will let people ignore that. I have added a fair bit of scenery where necessary.

Here's the planeset...limitations haven't been completely decided on.

Allied Air Forces

Tempest V
Mustang III
Spitfire IXe (Clipped)
Spitfire IXc +25lb
B-25J
Mosquito FB.VI

P-38L Late
P-47D Late
P-51D-20
A-20G

Luftwaffe
Bf109G-10
Bf109K-4 C3
Bf110G-2
FW190A-9
FW190D-9 1945
FW190F-8
Ta-152H
Me-262A-1*
Me-262A-2*
Ju-88A-4
Do-335A-0*
Ar-234*

*restricted numbers (numbers undecided)

This is basically the same planeset as Remagen plus the Ar-234. The intention is to replace Remagen as I don't think it works very well and many seem to be unhappy.

NS-IceFire
07-01-2007, 16:35
Some quick pictures!

http://colin.polariscreations.com/images/rhur01.jpg
http://colin.polariscreations.com/images/rhur02.jpg
http://colin.polariscreations.com/images/rhur03.jpg
http://colin.polariscreations.com/images/rhur04.jpg

Firelok
07-01-2007, 16:41
It's a pity really that the NW Europe map is a disappointment in terms of online performance it has some unusual features (esp. airfields) and often looks stunning. As for using the dogfight maps, for me the 'battle terrain' is more often dictated by the positioning of airports and objectives and conditions, the similarities between Autumn_Storm and Charkov (both built on exactly the same dogfight map.) are virtually non-existant.
I'm sure Rhur will be great 'mini-Remagen' I look forward to it :)
*micro-bump*
I posted this whilst Ice has been adding pictures, I'm more excited now.

Sonko
07-01-2007, 17:09
I like it, I'm looking foward to fly on it!

Zorin
07-01-2007, 18:11
Maybe a stupid question, but why no Ta-152C?

NS-IceFire
07-01-2007, 20:06
I thought about that....and I might do it. At the moment the planes included are all aircraft that were in squadron or half squadron level service at the very end of the war. The Do-335 never fired a shot...but it was flying around in the combat zone.

I was, however. reading the other day that there might have been some Ta-152C's involved in at least one air battle. I'll think on that. I do want to do a proper 1946 map in the future with no holds barred on the jets and high performance props and so forth. I want to really try the Ta-152C out as a high speed jabo with that pair of SC250's it can lug around.

Firelok
09-01-2007, 23:09
We tried this out tonight and it performed well but the targets are reversed red/blue with the targets command. Lots of Me262s flying which made it a little frustrating for reds but with some good Arado interceptions and Arado kills using defensive fire :)
How effective would reducing the diameter of the Jet's homebase spawn area to try and keep the numbers of Jets flying around low? I know there are only 10 Me262s available but they were all flying at once, does Tiger Talons thread about limiting spawn sizes have a bearing here,I wonder.

Primarily the swap from using the NWEurope map is a success in terms of playabilty. :)

NS-IceFire
09-01-2007, 23:33
Targets are reversed...d'oh! I never get this right!

The diameter thing might work except that the problem is that half of the Luftwaffe types are at the concrete base and the jets really need the longer takeoffs on that base as opposed to the shorter grass strips so it hurts the Ar-234 as well. Maybe taking it down to 8 Me-262 and bumping up the Ar-234 will work better. The Allies really need to get above the jets and dive as quickly as possible on them...

It is the Me-262A-2 which is more of a jabo variant but I guess its still plenty fast.

Firelok
10-01-2007, 00:56
A jet only concrete base with a minimum radius might be worth trying. Pretty much all of the Me262a2 were used purely as fighters this evening.

NS-IceFire
10-01-2007, 03:03
Still not sure if I like that....I think maybe 6 Me-262A-2's...and that will be that. Like the Berlin map I think. More Ar-234's instead!