PDA

View Full Version : Typhoon in Egypt ?

Boemher
16-01-2007, 15:10
"Towards the end of May 1943, three Hawker Typhoons were sent for operational flight trials in the Middle east. 219 Group RAF, who were responsible for finding a lodger unit for these service trials decided finally upon451 Sqn RAAF. the Typhoon would have been an exciting follow-on to the Hawker Hurricane IIc then operated by the squadron. 451 Sqn at LG.106 near Idku under command of Sqn Ldr J Paine, having been recently withdrawn from frontline operations, would provide personnel for the tests."

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/mynameisroland/TM48044.jpg

Anychance of a 'fun' map where the Tempest supplants the Typhoon in this role and we have a heavy dose of Tank busting in the Desert sun?

Suggested planeset

Red:RAF

Tempest V (Limited 15 -20 ) - stand in Typhoon
Spitfire VIII
Beaufighter
A20 C

Blue: Luftwaffe

Fw 190 A5 1.65 ATA (best variant to catch Tempest)
Bf 109 G2 (simulated G4)
JU88
He 111
Ju 87 D

Kat
16-01-2007, 15:32
Tricky one IMO as the Typoon and Tempest are very different aircraft. The IIC hurricane is closer to the Typhoon but doesn't have any ground attack options :(.

Boemher
16-01-2007, 15:49
Your having a laugh mate !

The Hurricane IIC was close to 80 mph slower than the Typhoon

The Typhoon and Tempest are virtually the same aircraft with the exception of a redesigned wing which was laminar flow and 10 inches thinner and an extra 75 gal fuel tank which pushed the nose forward 21 inches. Increased Rudder area, shorter cannons, and standardised bubble hood.

Ta Daaa! there you have the Tempest

The Typhoon was faster at low altitudes than the Fw 190 A5, so by adding the Fw 190 A5 1.65 ATA which goes 592 km/h instead of 570km/h the speed discrepancy of introducing the Tempest over the Typhoon largely goes out the window.

MrAsh
16-01-2007, 16:12
sounds good, I love desert maps by default.

It will be hard to make sure the Typhoons actually do any ground pounding though, I expect to see most of them blowing apart stukas and anything else with black crosses on at higher altitudes.

Maybe add it into the briefings (like zeke vs wildcats) where it disignates jobs to all the different aircraft?

might work...

:)

Boemher
16-01-2007, 16:26
It would be great if you could limit a plane to a non deafault load out ie always forced to carry rocket rails. But failing that a simple plane numbers limit should suffice.

This plane set is similar to existing planesets such as Bocage or DDay and the Luftwaffe are still capable of beating up the Tempest :D on these maps

Algorex
16-01-2007, 16:49
I got a desert skin for ju-87G i never get to use ;)

Zorin
16-01-2007, 16:49
You can of course lock the default loadout option and only allow the rocket version.

And by using JtDs limiting idea we could control the number of Tempests in the air.

Could turn out to be a fun map. Does anyone know when 4.08 is due? We really need that new desert map.

Firelok
16-01-2007, 17:09
KaikinGol might sub for a bit of Egypt, the OnlineMT sands of time map is sort of oversubscribed (and I'm guilty of using it for the Agheila map) and I deliberately fudged the early Hurri vs Italian Idea (Boehmers Viva Italia thread) to run it as Aegean so as not to use OnlineMT again.)

A note of caution however, we may be approaching Tempest overload on the late-war RAF vs Luftwaffe type maps. *runs and hides....*

Boemher
16-01-2007, 17:16
Sure as hell beats the crap out of Spitfire IX vs everything maps ;)

Kat
16-01-2007, 17:23
Your having a laugh mate !

The Hurricane IIC was close to 80 mph slower than the Typhoon

The Typhoon and Tempest are virtually the same aircraft with the exception of a redesigned wing which was laminar flow and 10 inches thinner and an extra 75 gal fuel tank which pushed the nose forward 21 inches. Increased Rudder area, shorter cannons, and standardised bubble hood.

Ta Daaa! there you have the Tempest

I'm well aware the Typhoon was quicker than the IIC.. HOWEVER the Tempest, with it's new wing etc. was a MUCH better aircraft. The basic handling of the Typhoon will be similar to a Hurricane.

Zorin
16-01-2007, 17:24
KaikinGol might sub for a bit of Egypt, the OnlineMT sands of time map is sort of oversubscribed (and I'm guilty of using it for the Agheila map) and I deliberately fudged the early Hurri vs Italian Idea (Boehmers Viva Italia thread) to run it as Aegean so as not to use OnlineMT again.)

A note of caution however, we may be approaching Tempest overload on the late-war RAF vs Luftwaffe type maps. *runs and hides....*

Khalkin Gol could be a little to small for 550km/h+ planes. And I guess limited to 4 active Typhoons all with rockets racks(how much speed does it lose because of those btw?) should be acceptable.

Algorex
16-01-2007, 17:38
Sure as hell beats the crap out of Spitfire IX vs everything maps ;)

Yup (to fill the 10 char rule: delete the spit9 from novgorod!)

Boemher
16-01-2007, 18:12
I'm well aware the Typhoon was quicker than the IIC.. HOWEVER the Tempest, with it's new wing etc. was a MUCH better aircraft. The basic handling of the Typhoon will be similar to a Hurricane.

To compare the handling of the Typhoon to the Hurricane would be oversimplifying it. The Typhoon had an incredible amount of torque as does the Tempest in IL2 (same engine), the Typhoon also accelerated quickly as does Tempest unlike Hurricane, had a good zoom climb again unlike Hurricane, had a poor rate of roll (Tempest fixed this ) had a poor turn radius - although better than the Tempests and Fw 190. The Hurricane was a relatively benign fighter with a gentle stall, low stall speeds and was good at turning.

The Typhoon and Tempest shared many of the same handling characteristics and traits. Yes the Tempest was an improved plane but the two were very closely related. The main similarity between the Typhoon and Hurricane is the thick wings visual resemblence but the two fighters were miles apart in performance and handling terms.

Basically the Hurricane was a nice fighter to fly. The Tempest/Typhoon demanded a LOT of skill and had many vices in comparison.

Boemher
16-01-2007, 18:13
Khalkin Gol could be a little to small for 550km/h+ planes. And I guess limited to 4 active Typhoons all with rockets racks(how much speed does it lose because of those btw?) should be acceptable.

This is where the artistic license to making a 'fun' map comes in. Maybe allowing 12 Tempests instead of 4 would be acceptable?

Zorin
16-01-2007, 18:15
This is where the artistic license to making a 'fun' map comes in. Maybe allowing 12 Tempests instead of 4 would be acceptable?

12 at the same time allowed in the air? That would be more than half of reds flying Tempests.

Boemher
16-01-2007, 18:36
no a limit of 12 ALTOGETHER! I think we got our wires crossed Zorin.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y294/mynameisroland/tempdes.jpg

Zorin
16-01-2007, 19:05
We did ;)

A limit of 12 is absolutely fine with me.