PDA

View Full Version : Sorry

Kat
17-01-2007, 03:46
If I sounded a bit grouchy in my map thread, just a tricky map to do and Zorin's very blunt statement ( without ANY feedback on what he thought of the targets ) put me in a bit of a mood. I placed the pictures in a fresh thread primarally because I wanted feedback on the layout of the map as a whole, including targets, which hasn't happened :(

I appreciate maps need balancing, I appreciate flight times need to be carefully considered. I didn't do the placements ignoring the excellent advice I've been given, It's just a tricky map to place targets and I thought it wasn't as bad as you guys did.

Anyway I apologise and hope the revised layout looks acceptable.

Zorin
17-01-2007, 03:54
Nor I or anyone else said a bad word about your target areas. Be sure, if I wouldn't like them or if they wouldn't match the standards you would have been made aware of that ;)

Besides, feedback is something special in its on terms here. ;) The community adopted rather fast a form of implicitness for well made target areas. So if you don't go through the length of building a whole dockyard or populating Midway people will just give it a silent nod and take it for good.

Algorex
17-01-2007, 07:33
Function over form, keep that in mind at all times. When in doubt go with what works. This applies to planesets, targets, airfields and layout.

Paulie
18-01-2007, 10:02
If I sounded a bit grouchy in my map thread, just a tricky map to do and Zorin's very blunt statement ( without ANY feedback on what he thought of the targets ) put me in a bit of a mood. I placed the pictures in a fresh thread primarally because I wanted feedback on the layout of the map as a whole, including targets, which hasn't happened :(

I appreciate maps need balancing, I appreciate flight times need to be carefully considered. I didn't do the placements ignoring the excellent advice I've been given, It's just a tricky map to place targets and I thought it wasn't as bad as you guys did.

Anyway I apologise and hope the revised layout looks acceptable.

As a designer who has had to work for some pretty aweful clients in the past I know what it is like to have someone rip your efforts apart after you have spent a lot of time and creative energy coming up with something that you think is good work. So I understand the disappointment of receiving purely negative feedback. Now, as the boss of my own studio I know that occasionally you have to 'redirect' someones work when you feel it isn't going the way your client would like. If I have to do this I always point out what is right with it first and what I personally like about it. This is usually a high percentage of the work and gives the designer a better contextual picture of any amendments I might suggest. Many people forget to empathise and assume that all the good work can be taken as read. Believe me if I only gave out bad criticism in my studio productivity and morale would be wrecked in next to no time and my business would suffer immeasurably.

This is a long way of saying that when offering a critique of someone's work, try to remember to include the positive. You will find enthusiasm and proliferation of work will benefit hugely.

Kat
18-01-2007, 12:09
As a designer who has had to work for some pretty aweful clients in the past I know what it is like to have someone rip your efforts apart after you have spent a lot of time and creative energy coming up with something that you think is good work. So I understand the disappointment of receiving purely negative feedback. Now, as the boss of my own studio I know that occasionally you have to 'redirect' someones work when you feel it isn't going the way your client would like. If I have to do this I always point out what is right with it first and what I personally like about it. This is usually a high percentage of the work and gives the designer a better contextual picture of any amendments I might suggest. Many people forget to empathise and assume that all the good work can be taken as read. Believe me if I only gave out bad criticism in my studio productivity and morale would be wrecked in next to no time and my business would suffer immeasurably.

This is a long way of saying that when offering a critique of someone's work, try to remember to include the positive. You will find enthusiasm and proliferation of work will benefit hugely.

Well put, I learnt somewhere that you compliment, critiscise, compliment - in that order or something like that. I had not got a clue whether the target's looked good, the basic map idea and concept was sound etc. because all I was being told was we need a fleet of G-2's..