PDA

View Full Version : Unusual match ups

Boemher
26-01-2007, 00:44
Are there any map opportunities out there where we could have some more unusual match ups ? Some of the most fun and unique maps have wierd planesets like the Yak1 on Belgrade or the I-16 flying for the Finns or the Hellcat/Corsair/Wildcat against Bf 109 and Fw 190.

I was thinking of a PTO map like a Burma 45 where the British get a chance to field the Tempest V ( which was actually in the planning process of being shipped out ) against the IJA planes or the oft mentioned Berlin 45 scenario where the US and GB fight the Soviets over annexing Eastern Europe and Poland. Another good idea would be the British helping out the Finns in the Winter War shipping some Hurri IIs in there to fight I-16s and early Yaks.

I know that they may not be 100% accurate or 100% tasteful in somecases ;) but these kind of maps can be good fun occasionally alongside the bread and butter match ups.

Firelok
26-01-2007, 01:22
Your quite right Boemher and it doesn't have to involve really crazy history twists either.For example i found out 1000 odd HurriIIc's were sent to russia and that sent me off thinking about a more 'strafing' sort of map for the V.V.S. around Leningrad and ended up making the Mga map. Another example is when Poland was invaded the Polish Air Force flew against the V.V.S. in the East as well as the Luftwaffe in the West.

Algorex
26-01-2007, 01:30
I'm working on a map focusing on Tiiksjärvi-Segezha area early '42. Brewsters vs Hurri IIs mostly, long distances and a cold winter.

The PTO/CBI '45 scenario could be made using the singapore map, liberation of Kuala Lumbur perhaps.

One of the most maniacal scenarios i can come up goes under the name "Brothers in arms", Newly freed Hungary and Romania fight against the former allied Germany in early 1945, with bf-109s and FW-190s on both sides. And yes even a scenario about the lapland war has crossed my mind.

Oh and football (european kind) war scenario! Year is 1969, El Salvador with F-51s and F4Us battles it out with Honduras equipt with F4Us. All we need is some skins (http://www.acig.org/artman/publish/printer_156.shtml) and we can decide this match the proper way, outside the field.

Firelok
26-01-2007, 02:03
Oh and football (european kind) war scenario! Year is 1969, El Salvador with F-51s and F4Us battles it out with Honduras equipt with F4Us. All we need is some skins and we can decide this match the proper way, outside the field.

^^Manchuria might be a very good map for this or Burma.^^

Firelok
26-01-2007, 02:07
^^Manchuria might be a very good map for this or Burma.^^
*eedit*
El Salvador could use IL2's Finnish roundels at a push. Honduras more of a problem with just the tail and wing flashes, nothing in-game matches that.

MajorDamage
26-01-2007, 10:44
There is an excellent offline campaign available on Flying Legends for this war including some excellent skins. I've often thought it might make an interesting dogfight map - F4U's on both sides.

*EDIT - link http://www.flying-legends.net/php/downloads/listings.php?page_number=2&cat_id=28

Boemher
26-01-2007, 11:32
Or how about the flop invasion of Cuba ? Corsairs P47s and B25s on the pro US side and A20s and Tempests (inplace of SeaFury) on the Cuban side.

The SeaFury effectively foiled the US funded attempt to overthrow Castro by sinking a vital invasion ship which featured all the communication gear!:eek:

Go team Hawker! lol

Firelok
30-01-2007, 11:35
Should we not rename this thread, How can we shoehorn the Tempest into more maps? :D

Boemher
30-01-2007, 20:31
No need mate, Im on it already :D

NS-IceFire
30-01-2007, 22:20
Boemher rocks :)

Yeah I'm always a fan of unusual matchups. I'm working on a US/GB versus Soviet Union style map now. I'm not sure how we want this one to go down but the YP-80 has been requested and I'm not sure if it'll face Yak-15's or Mig-9s or both...the Mig-9 is just so good and the Yak-15 sucks quite a bit :)