PDA

View Full Version : What if?

ForkTailedDevil
06-02-2007, 15:25
Now that we have a map. I have always wanted to see a Japan goes north scenario. Where the Japanese decide to go after Siberia instead of the south. A6M's vs I-16's would be fun. Possible thoughts are a Japanese strike on Vladivostock. Maybe use TB-3's to go after the Japanese fleet?

Boemher
08-02-2007, 12:47
TB3s with I-16s underslung against Japanese carriers sounds cool!

FlyingFinn
08-02-2007, 13:41
Where do you get these ideas?

I want the same thing you're taking! :D

MajorDamage
08-02-2007, 16:17
Not as weird as it might sound - the Japanese had a plan for this called Hokushin ('Go North'). Hitler had hinted to the Japanese ambassador of the possibility of a joint attack on the Soviet Union and there's a good chance that if he'd asked outright that it might have happened. Some in the Japanese high command considered the Russo-Japanese War unfinished business.

If you want to make a dogfight map based on this idea you should get hold of Rising Sun Victorious, edited by Peter G. Tsouras, ISBN 1-85367-446-X. It's a collection of what-if scenarios looked at by military historians, and the first chapter is all about Hokushin with maps etc.

ForkTailedDevil
08-02-2007, 16:35
If the Japanese had been more successful during its campaign in Mongolia in 39 I wouldn't have been surprised if they would have considered it.