PDA

View Full Version : Numbers of Objects v Lag

Scrappy_D
06-02-2007, 19:07
Hi Guys,

Can some of you map making experts do me a favour and explain in laymans terms the relationship between the number of objects/planes/spawn points on a map and lag etc?

Cheers in advance chaps :)

Kat
06-02-2007, 19:11
Hi Guys,

Can some of you map making experts do me a favour and explain in laymans terms the relationship between the number of objects/planes/spawn points on a map and lag etc?

Cheers in advance chaps :)

Not sure a high number of objects will effect lag, what will effect lag is a high number of active objects. For example a lot of fires may cause it, flak definatly does, active artillery/ships etc. may well.

Firelok
06-02-2007, 19:37
Two setups then....

1. Has 15 objects that will come into active range(viewing distance), updates on object status, rendering etc need to be checked for.

1. Has 150 objects that will come into active range(viewing distance), updates on object status, rendering etc need to be checked for.

It's more important to keep a check on active objects but a check on in-active objects is too. Large amounts of newly appearing objects (i.e. all in the same small area) usually cause problems.

Scrappy_D
06-02-2007, 19:38
The reason that I really need to know, is that I'm doing some work on the mega-mission server and we have to work out how we can get a very high number of players (upto 100) on a large map without any lag/warp issues ...

Firelok
06-02-2007, 19:44
The reason that I really need to know, is that I'm doing some work on the mega-mission server and we have to work out how we can get a very high number of players (upto 100) on a large map without any lag/warp issues ...

Has monguse got any advice that might be applicable here?
From what I've seen they tend to keep things very basic on the ground, targets/airfields etc.

Scrappy_D
06-02-2007, 19:47
There are alot of targets that are all concerntrated in one or two places with lots of flak ... but they also have a alot of active airfields as well and I really do not know about performance hits with all this stuff ....

Firelok
06-02-2007, 20:06
Whats the total size in Kb of the mission file?

NS-IceFire
08-02-2007, 01:17
Mmmm thats tricky Scrappy. I think venturing into the 100 player zone will be an adventure on its own. Objects seems to be highly variable in their impact. For instance a series of heavy flak batteries, a couple of medium sized warships, or a rapid fire flak battery like the German Wirblewind have a much larger impact on performance than does a small fleet of parked trucks.

Whenever possible use stationary objects rather than stationary armor or artillery. There is no AI associated with stationary objects, just the object status so I presume there is less of a netcode hit. This has been my experience.

Keep the details low where you don't need them. I would still, as a matter of my own preference and principle, place a few objects around the airfields mostly to be landmarks. A couple of hangars and a parked plane aren't going to have any noticeable impact but they will help when trying to take off, taxi, or land.

Those types of objects are negligible in terms of the hit unless the map you're placing them on is already overloaded like Gulf of Finland.