PDA

View Full Version : 4.08m Maps

Firelok
06-02-2007, 21:54
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e150/firelokc/vesuvius.jpg

Well there here at long last, the actual Ian Boys desert map the Italy map, Norway.Now what are we to do with them?

Italy online map is damned good (see pic above of Vesuvius) area is sort of around Naples but it's been tweaked to give more variety of airbases (at useful onlineDF distances)
I like the limestone effect on some of the mountains.
We have a few Italian scenarios whether any of them should or need to be updated and redone on this map is up for debate.
First battles after Salerno landings are a possibility I've considered.With MonteCassino and Anzio already available too much of the same sort of thing might be a problem with this idea though.
(However one of the advantages of the Italian theatre is mid-war Western theatre planes and the reasonable assumption of red and blue airfields nearby without bending history too much.)

The Norway map is very nice, how useful it is in terms of server use is less clear. There are limited runways and quite widely spaced, redo-ing Tirpitz here is a possibilty though.

The Desert online map is again excellent, an Operation Torch(USAAF) or a pure Desert airforce (RAF)late-1942 map might both be good. Pretty sure we haven't got these covered at the moment.We've got early desert (Aghelia) and late desert (Tunis)

Scrappy_D
06-02-2007, 21:57
I'd be happy to see whatever you map making guru's can do with these new maps, they do look awesome and I cant wait to see them online :)

MajorDamage
06-02-2007, 22:06
Had a bit of a perusal of the new maps in FMB myself and they are really nice.

I noticed Anzio is on the Italy map. Doh!

The new desert map is a godsend cos I think we were all getting a little tired of the old one. Nice texturing on it too.

Norway? How about a 633 Squadron scenario - mossies flying down the fjord with aaa all the way to bomb a bit of overhanging rock... :D

lewilewi
06-02-2007, 23:22
Norway? How about a 633 Squadron scenario - mossies flying down the fjord with aaa all the way to bomb a bit of overhanging rock... :D

Love this idear.. seen on youtub there's a film of the 633 mixed in with IL2 game just as you descibe

NS-IceFire
06-02-2007, 23:22
I'll definitely be redoing Tirpitz with the Norway map once I get a chance to get the patch and scout out the locations. I think most people agree that the Fleet Air Arm lend lease aircraft are a fun match with the Luftwaffe types but that the map needed some work. Was holding out for this map...hopefully it is workable :)

Desert and and Italy dogfight maps should be great for new scenarios!

Firelok
06-02-2007, 23:28
I noticed Anzio is on the Italy map. Doh!

Whether this is a coincidence or a 'tweak' I don't know but the real Anzio is much further north of Naples/Milan area we have here.

I've started an Operation Torch USAAF vs Luftwaffe map this evening. I'm planning on keeping things light object-wise, plus it's really hard to decide whether your putting buildings onto the spawn points on the open plan desert airstrips. The other problem with these desert airstrips here is there is no visual clue as to what is actually runway (smooth enough for takeoff) I've just spent half an hour trundling around in an A20C finding out, Expect the runways to be marked out with fires.

Kat
07-02-2007, 00:46
Whether this is a coincidence or a 'tweak' I don't know but the real Anzio is much further north of Naples/Milan area we have here.
Looks like the italy map is heavily warped and bent with missing key features and other problems. Personally I actually think our use of the other map is geographically closer in terms of the angles of the coastline and the actual valleys.

Monte Cassino seems to be just a random hill rather than the fundemental part of a long ridgeline overlooking a crucial valley.

Kat
07-02-2007, 02:04

I've started an Operation Torch USAAF vs Luftwaffe map this evening. I'm planning on keeping things light object-wise, plus it's really hard to decide whether your putting buildings onto the spawn points on the open plan desert airstrips. The other problem with these desert airstrips here is there is no visual clue as to what is actually runway (smooth enough for takeoff) I've just spent half an hour trundling around in an A20C finding out, Expect the runways to be marked out with fires.

Another good desert one might be El-Alamein.

Firelok
08-02-2007, 09:43
Has Murmansk Summer always been available?

Algorex
08-02-2007, 09:44
It's new as well.

slm
08-02-2007, 19:55
Tirpitz mission using this new Norway map should be great. There are plenty of good places for ships and the mountain slopes rising steeply from fjords add difficulty to low level bombers.

Gordano
08-02-2007, 22:21
Has Murmansk Summer always been available?

Nope it's new, apparently a lot of work was needed to create the summer version. It wasn't a simple case of changing the colours :D

All the areas of water had to be modelled as proper water/rivers/lakes rather than the frozen ones from the winter version which were just solid bits of land with different textures on them.