PDA

View Full Version : Bismarck Sea

NS-IceFire
04-03-2007, 15:26
Ok...bringing Battle of the Bismarck Sea out of retirement. The anniversary of the battle is today actually (March 4). I've rebalanced the map significantly from the original...which I don't think anyone played anyways.

The idea of the map is that the Japanese have two objectives. One is to defend a rather large convoy. The other is to shoot down Allied bombers or attack the Allied base with Betty's. So the focus is on air power. The Allies are focused purely on the convoy.

I want to ask a bit about balancing and how people feel. The Japanese have the following planes:

A6M3
A6M5 (subbing for the A6M3-32)
G4M
D3A
Ki-43-Ic
Ki-43-II
Ki-61-Ko
Ki-61-Otsu

Allies (USAAF and RAAF) have:

P-40E
P-40M*
P-39D-1
P-39D-2*
A-20C
A-20G*

*limited numbers

Given the types available at the battle I could also include the Beaufighter and the B-25J. These are close enough to the models used. But there are balancing considerations to take into account here. The B-25 is a fighter killer and the Japanese might not take this one well. The Beaufighter is VERY fast although no turrets...so I want to see if there are preferences here. Other types that could be included here is the P-38 (I wish we had an earlier version).

In the real battle the convoy was mauled and the Japanese lost about half their fighter force assigned to the task. I think in one battle top cover P-38's managed to shoot down something like 20 Zero's for the loss of 3 P-38s. So this is a toughie to balance.

Kat
04-03-2007, 15:56
I'd like to see either just the USAAF (so the B25 attacks) or RAAF (so Beau's, P40's, Buffalo's and Catalinas ). i.e. quite a tight planeset.

similarly as the origonal was definatly the IJA/IJN defending I'd have just the Japs with ground targets.

My preference would be the RAAF as it's something slightly different.

Beaufighters, Catalinas, Buffalo's ( for Boomerang) and P40's

vs

Suitable periodical IJN fighters ( probably 3 types ).

More of a balanced planeset I'd have thought so easier to balance.

NS-IceFire
04-03-2007, 16:23
RAAF would include Bostons or Havoks as well. That is intriguing tho...go straight out RAAF. That'd be something we haven't done.

MajorDamage
04-03-2007, 16:29
According to a book wot I've been reading...

'the troop convoy was annihilated by American B-25 Mitchell aircraft using the newly-developed technique of skip bombing'.

So it'd be a shame not to have the B25 IMO.

Kat
04-03-2007, 16:50
According to a book wot I've been reading...

'the troop convoy was annihilated by American B-25 Mitchell aircraft using the newly-developed technique of skip bombing'.

So it'd be a shame not to have the B25 IMO.

i'm just thinking smaller planesets make for a easier to setup and manage balancing act. That said the B25 ( and A20C ) wouldn't unbalance it particularly I don't think.

Firelok
04-03-2007, 18:41
I'd be quite happy to rely entirely on your judgement Ice, IJA planes do OK on guadalcanal map against P40s P38s F4Fs without the Ki-61 land based planes
B25s are an option no doubt perhaps instead of the A20G's in limted numbers.
Anyways thanks for responding to the PM more Pacific is a good thing IMO.:D

p.s. The RAAF are going to have their day real soon, I have this on good authority,trust me.:D