PDA

View Full Version : Can You get Target Info etc. in Dogfight on LAN Server?

doc
30-05-2007, 20:46
Hi Guys
When running dogfight on LAN server is it possible to get target and other information in the chat window?

Also is it possible to get AI plane to attack your plane in 1 on 1 or have targets got to be static?

Cheers

Doc

Algorex
30-05-2007, 20:54
Answer to the first one is no, you can't do it since the target etc info is put through by the server control software (SC or FBD) that only work on dedicated servers, hence the final map test needs to be on the actual server.

Second and third are also noes if you're running a dogfight server. You can use AI planes and moving ground objects in single player missions and coop missions.

doc
30-05-2007, 21:15
Thanks Algorex - it was looking that way but there is a lack of detail in the manuals available so I thought I'd better ask.

Is there any information about what is possible/allowed in single player/coop/dogfight missions.

It's a great help in improving various areas of your game when you're not very experienced - you can experiment and practice what people tell you without getting shot down at the same time.

Cheers

Doc

Firelok
30-05-2007, 21:24
It's a great help in improving various areas of your game when you're not very experienced - you can experiment and practice what people tell you without getting shot down at the same time. I just don't think this is true TBO, you might as well join the server, take your lumps, get shot down and get better over time. I don't really think offline is great practice for online DF, from your questions here I'm getting the idea that you'd like to set up basic simulations of situations that are a little more complicated than the QMB but without the hassle of FMB creations, you should try Mission Mate it's a generator for coop missions that lets you make a more involved QMB quickly and easily. I like the offline thing for a kind of limbering up before joining the server, I'm not sure how much it helps though.
Here's a link for Mission Mate :1946
http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=8

doc
30-05-2007, 23:00
Thanks for that Firelok.
I much prefer the online game but there are many basic things I have no real feel for. If I set up a destroyer and bounce bombs at 30m alt while it is firing back, I can do that a dozen times in a short period and get a real feel for what is right and what is wrong - it trains the reflexes. If I go online then I might reach the ship once and then the situation might not happen again for a couple of days and I'm no better at it! Hence I like to deal with the most common situations and try to get a real feel for them. Then when I am online the reflexes kick in.

I will download Mission Mate : 1946 and have a look. As a programmer and designer I like building things and find FMB fascinating - just wish I could give up work!

Thanks again,

Doc

Just downloaded Mission Mate 1946 - what a great programme - now I am going to give up work!

MajorDamage
31-05-2007, 13:06
Offline practice is excellent for practicing bombing because, as you say Doc, you can set it up the way you want and do it over and over till you get the hang of it. No need to fly all the way to the target just to get shot down on your run in.

It's pretty hopeless for air to air stuff though because the AI planes just behave weirdly and give you a totally false impression of what that plane is going to be like when flown be a real pilot.