PDA

View Full Version : Methods for testing a new map?

Bladebender
29-06-2007, 11:42
I realise that it is necessary to have a separate server to test an online map.

My question is: -

Can I achieve this by setting up two computers on a home network and run the map in multiplayer mode?

MajorDamage
29-06-2007, 11:59
No need to have 2 computers - you can just create a multiplayer session and play it from the host computer. You need to save the map somewhere in your missions/net/dogfight folder for it to be available as a dogfight map. Note this won't test any of the FBD code i.e. win conditions etc.

Another handy testing method is to create an aircraft flight with at least 2 waypoints. On the Plane tab check the 'Player' box. Then select 'Fly' from the main menu and IL2 will launch a single player version of the map without having to leave the FMB. When you're finished it will return you to the FMB, (good idea to save the map first anyway). This is a good quick way of testing AAA strength etc.

Bladebender
29-06-2007, 12:43
^^^

Thanks Major.

I didn't realise it is possible to run the multiplayer with only one machine.

I've already tried the map by putting in a plane with way-points, what I need to test is the spawning points.

I'll try it tonight.

Veta
29-06-2007, 15:30
I need to test is the spawning points.Unfortunately, IIRC, you'll never be able to test all the spawn points at a single home base on your own.

Firelok
29-06-2007, 17:46
You need to save the map somewhere in your missions/net/dogfight folder for it to be available as a dogfight map

missions/net/dogfight/ 1

helpfully IL2 has a missions/net/dogfight/1 folder aswell:rolleyes:

the correct one seems to have a space before the 1. Put it here or your mission won't be visible when you go to Multiplayer Create Mission in IL2.

As for other helpful tips I could go on and on and on (being a bit of an anorak as some [BFs] types pointed out over TS the other night:D )

Be careful with your Flak amounts and chucking loads of objects in one area (especially cities) if you are going to get troublesome performance hits this would be why, generally.

Veta
29-06-2007, 22:50
missions/net/dogfight/ 1

helpfully IL2 has a missions/net/dogfight/1 folder aswell:rolleyes:

the correct one seems to have a space before the 1. Put it here or your mission won't be visible when you go to Multiplayer Create Mission in IL2.Really? I've created my own multiplayer mission folders (in windows) in which I've then saved missions to and also run on my own.

Firelok
30-06-2007, 05:59
Really? I've created my own multiplayer mission folders (in windows) in which I've then saved missions to and also run on my own.

I couldn't work out how to browse from IL2 to a non-standard directory, couldn't see anything to set up an alternate path in the conf.ini either.

Bladebender
30-06-2007, 10:58
Thanks for the input chaps.

I already had a sub-folder in the dogfight directory. ;)

I'm on top of the problem of "spontaneous combustion" with dense targets, no large clusters of fuel or ammunition.

Spawning point tests showed up some minor navigational problems for taxi manouvers.
Is there any way to control the exact places where planes spawn on an airfield?

Some areas are like little courtyards.

Veta
30-06-2007, 12:36
Is there any way to control the exact places where planes spawn on an airfield?

Some areas are like little courtyards.There is no control over spawn points. Perhaps JtD's thread here (http://www.battle-fields.com/commscentre/showthread.php?t=12666) might provide some sort of solution?

MajorDamage
30-06-2007, 12:41
I couldn't work out how to browse from IL2 to a non-standard directory, couldn't see anything to set up an alternate path in the conf.ini either.

I think what Veta meant is that you can create your own folders within the missions/net/dogfight folder and stick your map creations in them. The folder will appear along with the default IL2 folders. Mine all go in a folder called 'My DF Maps' for example.