PDA

View Full Version : What are the chances of......

TheDawg
08-07-2007, 13:17
A map being accepted and getting into rotation?
The last time I entertained it, (and reading here) theres a lot of squabbling going on about balance.

Take an actual air battle and submit it? Or, take a balanced plane regardless of year, i.e. the La5fn and its "equal" 109 etc

regards

Boemher
08-07-2007, 13:29
In these amazing days of ServerCommander we can have plane sets which would otherwise destabilise other servers.

On some maps like RhineLand there are Ho 229s, He 162s, Ar 234s, D0 335s and Me 262s available for Blue and YP-80s for Red. Yet their numbers are limited enough so that not every one can fly around with them for the duration of the map.

I dont think limited numbers of any plane eg the La 5FN would cause too much of a map balance issue.

TheDawg
08-07-2007, 14:47
Man, I do need to get back into the UKduex more often. I didnt see half those planes when I'm surfing the hyper for maps!

need to study mapping again perhaps

NS-IceFire
08-07-2007, 16:12
Plane balance is always a tricky thing...and you have to know a bit more about the planes often times to make it work. For instance the La-5FN we have is really a 1944 model...so if its a 1943 scenario you need to use the La-5F. That solves all sorts of problems ...and then Server Commander takes care of the rest so if you wanted to say have 10 or 15 La-5FNs and the rest are La-5Fs then you can too!

Firelok
09-07-2007, 11:53
A map being accepted and getting into rotation?
The last time I entertained it, (and reading here) theres a lot of squabbling going on about balance.

Take an actual air battle and submit it? Or, take a balanced plane regardless of year, i.e. the La5fn and its "equal" 109 etc

regards

Well, I've only flatly refused 3 on the grounds of them being missions using a map that isn't suitable for online play. (Leningrad map for example.) and maps with just some tanks chucked on in a pile and called a target are not going to be refused but would subject to 'scrutiny' shall we say, mainly because our 'customers' have got used to a real high quality product. Browsing through the sceenshots on various mission threads gives an idea of what regularly gets sent in.

As for the planeset, for the most part it's closer to 'actual air battle' than not, adjusted a little for the skewed performance that IL2 has with some planes. Often your real uberplanes will be there on a UK2 map but in limited numbers with the majority of planes being a more balanced type. UK2's server software whilst quirky and a bit irritating to a non-initiate allows us to trim away very powerful weaponry or numbers limit powerful planes.

MajorDamage
09-07-2007, 12:05
I think the main thing is to start with a historical scenario and planeset, and then tweak it if necessary for the sake of game balance and general fun. If we only allowed 2 P40's on the Pearl Harbour map against endless waves of zeros it wouldn't be all that popular.