PDA

View Full Version : Maximum number of objects on a map?

Bladebender
30-07-2007, 12:30
^^^^^^

I've been working on a level bombing map for a while now.

In order to balance out the targets on each side, I have put down a lot of objects to build-up a target area.

I'm wondering now if maybe I've gone too far.

Is there a "ball-park" maximum quantity I should use to in order to keep the map lag free?

What types of objects affect lag the most?

All comments gratefully received.

stanford
30-07-2007, 12:50
Not 100% sure on maximum targets, but keeping a map below 35kb is ideal. Also, to help lag, make sure there are static aircraft of all the flyable's on the map laying around somewhere.

Bladebender
30-07-2007, 13:33
........................................ Also, to help lag, make sure there are static aircraft of all the flyable's on the map laying around somewhere.

Does this aid skin download?

Firelok
30-07-2007, 13:53
The static flyables don't aid skindownload, but it means the models themselves are already pre-cached. It does indeed make a difference. Stanfords 35kb value is a little stringent TBO, I've accepted maps that are bigger than than.
The problem with your original question (although valid) is that there isn't one correct answer. All the maps have objects on them anyway before anyone adds objects in FMB. So taking a glance at the map available to build on some are smaller some larger and they have different amounts of in-built objects. A map such as Online_Summer_1 had very few objects compared to Kurland for example. Lots of the maps have an 'online' version not using this version of a maps can cause problems.
Lots of objects in one area will cause more lag than the same number of objects dispersed over a wide area. Special care needs to be taken when making targets in Urban areas, because there are already effective hundreds of objects present in the form of houses,trees etc.
I noticed that KKB has asked the same question before
http://www.battle-fields.com/commscentre/showthread.php?t=14801
JtD has given the ideal 50Kb figure here and it's a bloody good yardstick.
On UK2 we do have maps who file size is bigger than this and I might add I have seen maps that were less than 50Kb have performance issues, whether due to location choice, weather choice,number of objects/area or AAA density/type.
http://www.battle-fields.com/commscentre/showthread.php?t=13545
has some considerations about objects/flak/lag amongst other things.

Bladebender
30-07-2007, 14:12
^^^^

Thanks Firelok. :)

It looks like I've got to thin out my target areas a fair bit.

bokatar
30-07-2007, 15:22
Clean weather (noon - no clouds) helps you get good fps as well. Also avoid AI controlled static vehicles ( select a tank from stationary objects instead of stationary armor for example ) and avoid high RoF AA guns..

Bladebender
31-07-2007, 09:20
^^^^^^^

:eek: :eek:

I checked my map last night, 73Kb. :thwak:

No wonder it seemed to take a while to load up. :rolleyes:

I've thinned it down to 48Kb so far.