PDA

View Full Version : FLAK around airfields

Sonko
26-10-2007, 20:14
In my opinion on some maps the FLAK at the airfields need to be modified.

On the Vadso mission for example the aaa at the red airfield opens fire only at very close range (~1000m) which is not enough to protect an airfield against enemy aircraft.

So if you, Firelok, could have a look at it, I would be very happy.

And to all Mapmakers, keep that aaa thingy in mind too, please.

FlyingFinn
26-10-2007, 21:26
IMO flak should kill any attempt of basecamping on maps where the targetarea is someplace else. I was very pleased to see my IL-2 getting ripped apartin no less that 5 seconds when I ventured over a blue field on a UKD2 map.

I doubt more flak would kill FPS. Do the heavy flak cause the same amount of lag than the lighter flak with 1000 rounds per minutes + smoky tracers?

Algorex
26-10-2007, 21:34
In my opinion on some maps the FLAK at the airfields need to be modified.

On the Vadso mission for example the aaa at the red airfield opens fire only at very close range (~1000m) which is not enough to protect an airfield against enemy aircraft.

So if you, Firelok, could have a look at it, I would be very happy.

And to all Mapmakers, keep that aaa thingy in mind too, please.

IIRC this issue has more to do with the vadso map specifically as the reds have to (or had to in some versions of the map) attack the harbour just next to the airfield, hence normal airfield flak would've made attacking the harbour a similar suicide as attacking the airfield.

Zorin
26-10-2007, 22:14
Sonko is right about the red airfield on Vadso, my first map ;), which has four 25mm set to 1200m, 1000m, 850m and unlimited range.

If this is causing trouble and Firelok doesn't mind the trouble, the range restrictions could be removed for the three limited guns and the place should be much safer.

Sonko
27-10-2007, 09:28
I consider airfields secondary and valid targets. One should not blame the AAA if oneself is unable to defend the own spawning place. The rules grant you sufficient altitude to defend yourself and that should do.

In my case there was nobody around to shoot the three F-4's off my six, the aaa was firing but it was only one gun.
In my opinion at least the home bases should provide some good cover in case of being chased.

One pass over enemy airfield should - of course - be survivable, but staying there for over a minute really should have an effekt on the bandits.

Firelok
27-10-2007, 20:32
It's easily altered certainly, I'll look at it tonight.

Due to the layout of things on blue side (airfield near the harbour) if you fly in the wrong way (i.e from the South West nearer to the airfield.) you will get hammered.

I think surviving the first (anti AAA) attack on the harbour is about pushing your Pe2 to the limits of it's dive speed and getting the hell out quick and curving away west out of the line of fire.

Zorin
28-10-2007, 22:33
It's easily altered certainly, I'll look at it tonight.

Due to the layout of things on blue side (airfield near the harbour) if you fly in the wrong way (i.e from the South West nearer to the airfield.) you will get hammered.

I think surviving the first (anti AAA) attack on the harbour is about pushing your Pe2 to the limits of it's dive speed and getting the hell out quick and curving away west out of the line of fire.

Is it actually like this? The version I have is without the northern target, following the request of some cause it was considered to be unfair in terms of target numbers. I'm sort of confused now.

Firelok
29-10-2007, 18:25
Harbour target is definately tricky, go the wrong way (turn right and leave the coast over the airfields) or hang around low and slow you are in deep trouble but it's a technically satisfying target to attack if you do it right.