PDA

View Full Version : Schlechtes Wetter

Sonko
16-12-2007, 14:15
Hi all, I've been thinking about making a map with bad weather on it, like snow or rain.
Somewhere on the eastern front in 1943, with easy lightly armored targets, as it's quite hard to hit sth with guns when wobbling all over the place.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

FlyingFinn
16-12-2007, 14:45
Because it's impossible to hit a truck-sized thing with weather worse than good the targets should be quite easy to take out with bombs or perhaps rockets when shot above 300m the ground.

Just a thought.

NS-IceFire
17-12-2007, 18:05
Good luck Sonko. I tried a scenario with rain and it consistently cleared the server right out.

Zorin
17-12-2007, 18:06
Aleutians comes to mind. I like that mission but 90% of the more common people leave as fast as they can...fools..

Firelok
17-12-2007, 18:47
Aleutians, yep. I've seen some suprisingly well respected regulars suggest that it should be removed as a 'server empty-er'
I started mucking about with the weather, it makes so much difference even dropping it a level. I think the snowy weather on Aleutians helps balance a planeset that favours Reds and gives the Blues a chance to fight it out.

Rain/Snow setting doesn't mean it's 100% turbulent and rainy all over the map, there are gaps sometimes fairly big. One of these gaps it actually over the targets in Aleutians:)

But I'd be the first to accept it's not a popular choice AT ALL, clear skies and spitfires if you want popularity:D

Sonko
18-12-2007, 18:07
OK I think I'll give it a try. Short distances, soft targets, nice planes...

LeadSucker
19-12-2007, 09:04
I do agree with JtD. I also often join the server for a quick fix. Fighting the weather often drag things out and I wan't a faster paced experience. For a long session, bad weather is OK.

Why don't consider cloudy and/or late in the evening? I flew Istra last night. The dark makes it hard to track the enemies from the cockpit but it is a beautiful scenario. I think winter maybe makes it slightly easier since it is easier to spot planes above the white ground.

But basically, bad weather is interesting for a short time but soon becomes dull.

Nice planes often means fast planes. I am not convinced that fast planes and bad visibility is a great combination.

Sonko
19-12-2007, 15:57
Thanks for your input.
I think I'll start the project, and if the snowy weather turns out to be a bad idea, it can always be switched back to cloudy or so.

This is going to be a winter map, russia or balaton. That means either late '43 or '45.

Luxchamp
19-12-2007, 16:09
i like snowy. means i get a chance to shoot santa :D

Zorin
19-12-2007, 16:34
Thanks for your input.
I think I'll start the project, and if the snowy weather turns out to be a bad idea, it can always be switched back to cloudy or so.

This is going to be a winter map, russia or balaton. That means either late '43 or '45.

Please make it a 1943 scenario. That way we would have Hungary 45, 44 and 43.

But I have to say it being a VVS winter map is, well, a bit overdone lately. I made two and Icefire one map with these settings and I'd rather would like to see a summer scenario with rain on the Kiev map than yet another winter one.