PDA

View Full Version : Western front, no Spits/190

FlyingFinn
30-12-2007, 08:29
Could this be done? Is there any western front mission WITHOUT the dreaded point&kill focke and the allmighty spitfire?

If this could be done would the P-47 or possibly the P-38 act as the main fighter for the allied side?

Was there historically even times when the allied didn't have spitfires or P-51s on hand and the axis lacked the 190s?

Just a thought because I'm getting tired to fly western front missions where 85% of the allied players always fly the spit if it's there to fly.

/rant off :o

Sonko
30-12-2007, 12:26
Yes, Dortmund has Spits and they're just bah when flying the lone wolf on blue side. :D

Romanian oilfields.

Isn't really western front but it has USAAF attacking and some 109's and outdated Iar's defending. Dunno if this scenario might fit.

FlyingFinn
30-12-2007, 12:34
Romanian oilfields.
Now that we have the new sweet-looking oil&fueltanks as placeable objects wouldn't this be a perfect scenario?

Sonko
30-12-2007, 12:44
I fear that it might develop into a scenario where one side defends only. Might be a bit hard to find a ground target for blue to attack....HA!
USAAF bombing, blue AF defending.
Ground target for blue might be russian troops on the way to capture blue installations or so. Too weird?

FlyingFinn
30-12-2007, 12:54
Too weird?
Who's looking at some red stars painted onto moving masses of steel anyways? :D

NS-IceFire
30-12-2007, 15:57
Could this be done? Is there any western front mission WITHOUT the dreaded point&kill focke and the allmighty spitfire?

If this could be done would the P-47 or possibly the P-38 act as the main fighter for the allied side?

Was there historically even times when the allied didn't have spitfires or P-51s on hand and the axis lacked the 190s?

Just a thought because I'm getting tired to fly western front missions where 85% of the allied players always fly the spit if it's there to fly.

/rant off :o
We have one...or did....and the Reds constantly whine or get kicked around because very few pilots have mastered the intricacies of the 47 or the 38. In all truth both planes are hard to fly effectively against the more nimble and generally better armed German opposition. I'm not saying that either of the USAAF birds is inferior because they aren't and they have their uses...but for the average player its easier to point and shoot a 109 or a 190 at a big USAAF fighter than the opposite. The Spitfire is the equalizer as its easier to fly than the 109 and has enough firepower to make it work. Even with the Mustang in the mix its a rough fight for the USAAF side...not enough well trained virtual pilots like there were with the real USAAF.

As most or all of us know...its the pilot that matters most but an easier to fly and fight plane is better in novice hands than one that may ultimately be more rewarding but difficult to fly.

Edit: I JUST had a thought. Do we have a proper USAAF desert scenario? That'd work...there were very very few 190s in Tunisia but you can justify the P-47, P-38, P-39, P-40 (for more novice pilots) and not necessary need the RAF to be there. I'd need to do some research to make sure all of the planes I'm thinking would be there but that might just work. Plus it'd be a good way to use the new desert map. Should I look into it further?

Zorin
30-12-2007, 16:18
Kasserine and Tunis both cover the early 1943 engagements with a mixed USAAF /RA planeset.

NS-IceFire
30-12-2007, 19:29
Ahh right...and almost nobody flies Spits on those maps anyways...they are deathtraps against the Axis opposition.

Algorex
30-12-2007, 19:33
Ahh right...and almost nobody flies Spits on those maps anyways...they are deathtraps against the Axis opposition.

With the exception of the spit IX on tunis.