PDA

View Full Version : Map idea

FlyingFinn
18-09-2008, 12:49
A bad weather map with very thick cloud cover.

But here's the catch: we use a map with a mountain range where you can take off well above the sealevel and the turbulence. The targets could be on the mountainsides or on plateus where they're easy to take out.

Just think of it! That roaming thunder underneath you would server as a cover and as an immersion booster ;)

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/3800/range1ue2.th.jpg (http://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image=range1ue2.jpg)http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/6190/range2ji5.th.jpg (http://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image=range2ji5.jpg)http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/9366/range3wz7.th.jpg (http://img232.imageshack.us/my.php?image=range3wz7.jpg)

Luxchamp
18-09-2008, 13:08
if you add some airfields beneath the clouds, yes, why not? ;)

i like rain/lightning/snow storm maps :D

Oh_Frustration
18-09-2008, 13:57
The only problem with those storms and thunder is that my laptop goes unstable when playing with high graphics like I usually do :D But that idea is great, sounds fun to fly!

Luxchamp
18-09-2008, 14:02
The only problem with those storms and thunder is that my laptop goes unstable when playing with high graphics like I usually do :D But that idea is great, sounds fun to fly!

i think it'd be worth it - just think of it - even finns legendary aim won't have any effect in a storm :mp5:

Algorex
18-09-2008, 14:46
Unfortunately our sissy squadron doesn't fly in anything but fair weather, as seen with the Aleutian map.

FlyingFinn
18-09-2008, 14:48
The clouds are set to 500m on that example so the bad effects won't hit you unless you really want to duke it out in the mud.

We have zero maps on UKD1 where there would be some kind of cloudcover.

WillEyedOney
18-09-2008, 15:00
Go on then, get on with it!
Can't see me playing it much though. :)

Luxchamp
18-09-2008, 15:12
Unfortunately our sissy squadron doesn't fly in anything but fair weather, as seen with the Aleutian map.

yah i really liked that map too :bum:

Sonko
18-09-2008, 19:13
Good idea :)

CADfly
21-09-2008, 11:32
Hello Finn,

Very good idea !

We waiting for a long time to maps like that.

Burma map in weather monsoons, Aleoutian maps in weather changing from hours till hours... :rolleyes:
Maps with twilight, or night maps with attack on boats in moistenings... :cool:

Thanks for every Mapbuilders ! :)

Cheers Mates

CADfly

NS-IceFire
21-09-2008, 16:22
I love the idea!

Zorin
21-09-2008, 16:36
well, a small margin might love this, but even on the DedicatedMission where people are really organized the early morning darkness and mist caused quite some trouble and it was changed to a later tod.

So I still believe that it will be a server emptier. As sad as it is.

FlyingFinn
21-09-2008, 19:59
Doesn't need to be night or thunderstorm as in the example.

The point was to have a mountain range with lots of fluffy clouds low in the valleys. The mountaintops as the main thing you would see.

Isn't "Blind" the first weather stage where the clouds tend to cover all of the height they're set to?

Oh_Frustration
22-09-2008, 08:01
well, a small margin might love this, but even on the DedicatedMission where people are really organized the early morning darkness and mist caused quite some trouble and it was changed to a later tod.

So I still believe that it will be a server emptier. As sad as it is.

Not quite likely, I think there are lots of people who will like this - maybe only for the first two or three times - but this could also be played in a time that isn't too crowded on the server. Go Finn, I'm in positively. :cool:

Algorex
22-09-2008, 08:47
Not quite likely, I think there are lots of people who will like this - maybe only for the first two or three times - but this could also be played in a time that isn't too crowded on the server. Go Finn, I'm in positively. :cool:

And here i was thinking you're still on the ban list...

Luxchamp
22-09-2008, 10:11

that doesn't necessarily prevent one from voicing his/her opinion ;)

MajorDamage
22-09-2008, 10:47
Yeah, sorry, I love bad weather/low visibilty maps but Algore's right - they empty the server instantly. I know you're suggesting having airfields above the cloud layer but you still have to put ground targets somewhere.

This might make a great map for a Supporters' event though...

FlyingFinn
22-09-2008, 11:12
The targets could be on the mountainsides or on plateus where they're easy to take out.

I know you're suggesting having airfields above the cloud layer but you still have to put ground targets somewhere.
Meh, do you even read my posts lol :D

NS-IceFire
22-09-2008, 14:26
Alright so I played around with the idea...some interesting things learned.

In the rain, thunderstorm, and blind settings some of the mountaintop fields are still unusuable because amusingly they are in the middle of a cloud (cloud alt 500m)!

In the thunderstorm settings even the airfields above the weather are affected by wind which makes taxiing difficult for me (and I'm good at it) which would be catastrophic for some others. So rain or blind would have to be it.

I'd be willing to try this out...blind or rain might work. Targets could be above the clouds actually...there are areas that would work after I scouted it out.

Anyways what sort of map should I try to do? Given the altitude we have to do it with planes that have altitude capability and are relatively powerful so I'm thinking late war but maybe American vs German only and given the Thunderbolt, Mustang, and D-9 matchup some love.

Luxchamp
22-09-2008, 14:39
Alright so I played around with the idea...some interesting things learned.

In the rain, thunderstorm, and blind settings some of the mountaintop fields are still unusuable because amusingly they are in the middle of a cloud (cloud alt 500m)!

that'd be awesome for a ded mission ,i'd love to try my landings in the middle of a cloud! :D

In the thunderstorm settings even the airfields above the weather are affected by wind which makes taxiing difficult for me (and I'm good at it) which would be catastrophic for some others. So rain or blind would have to be it.

can't you turn the runways in the direction of the wind/adapt the direction of the wind to the airfields? i'm asking because idk anything about map-making and if it's even feasible :o

Anyways what sort of map should I try to do? Given the altitude we have to do it with planes that have altitude capability and are relatively powerful so I'm thinking late war but maybe American vs German only and given the Thunderbolt, Mustang, and D-9 matchup some love.

sounds good to me ;)

FlyingFinn
22-09-2008, 14:40
Due to the demand on resources the bad weather has couldn't we use that example map? Or do we have some other maps with high mountains? What's it called, online5-6something. It's a small map with little objects, so the fps drop shouldn't be too bad.

You decide the planeset. Anything pre 43 should be a no go. Maybe make this into a silly -46 for laughs and see where it goes? :D

Algorex
22-09-2008, 14:55
With enough airfields (which the online mountains doesn't have) it could be made in the a double trouble map based on the last battles in the Carpathians or in the eastern alps with russians pressing from the east and US forces doing the usual high alt stuff from the west, with what's left of the luftwaffe in the middle.

Oh and romanian IARs and bf109s on reds.

Oh_Frustration
22-09-2008, 16:15
that doesn't necessarily prevent one from voicing his/her opinion ;)

Make that 'his' I can prove you I'm a boy.

Maybe the mep would w... Hey! Ground targets as two mountaintop fortresses? Or only one, the Kyushu map doesn't give any ground targets for blues...?

Oh_Frustration
22-09-2008, 16:16

I AM stil banned but I like this forum so much :D

Sorry the multipost but I didn't want to delete the first one to get this up :o

Luxchamp
22-09-2008, 17:11
Make that 'his' I can prove you I'm a boy.

prove away ;)

i was referring to that in general, there could be female pilots among us...

in fact there are, but i'm not telling who is :p

and no, i'm not.

NS-IceFire
22-09-2008, 23:11
Due to the demand on resources the bad weather has couldn't we use that example map? Or do we have some other maps with high mountains? What's it called, online5-6something. It's a small map with little objects, so the fps drop shouldn't be too bad.

You decide the planeset. Anything pre 43 should be a no go. Maybe make this into a silly -46 for laughs and see where it goes? :D

This is the only map with purpose built airfields at high altitudes. Only Kuban and Kyushu have mountains of significance (there are others but not as prominent) and none have airfields at the required altitude.

Also there is no way to turn the aircraft into the wind because for whatever reason IL-2 wind seems to always come at you slightly sideways no matter which way you're pointing.

The clouds performance hit will hit with low geometry landscape or not. If the video card is doing its job properly it won't be rendering as much of the landscape with fogging draw distance lowered anyways.