PDA

View Full Version : News On Map-Making Policy in UK-Dedicated

Brcn
03-01-2006, 13:26
Hello,

I'd like to inform everyone about the changes that are recently made in our map-making policy.

JtD, our main map-maker and has decided to take less participation in this job, so I volunteered for this task. He brought our maps and designing process to a very high standard, many thanks to him for his hard work.

I want to make the maps not only with the map-maker's ideas but with as many as ideas that will come from anyone. You don't necessarily have to know how to make a map yourself, just throw in some ideas about the current maps in the cycle or about any new maps you would like to see in the server. I will try to answer all your questions, and last decision on a change about a map will be made after some discussions on it.

I am thinking about working on each map we currently have in the cycle. This will take some time as we have 50 or so maps. I will try to begin with the maps that is complained about most. So I need your help here? Which map or maps do you think need to be worked on. I have some in my mind, but i 'd like to see your opinions also.

Also, I will start a thread about each map here. Starting with the briefings, giving information about the ground targets, planeset etc. Please comment on anything on a map, so things can be better and easier for us to correct or to improve.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Brcn

Yellow 2
03-01-2006, 13:47
Hello,
I want to make the maps not only with the map-maker's ideas but with as many as ideas that will come from anyone. You don't necessarily have to know how to make a map yourself, just throw in some ideas about the current maps in the cycle or about any new maps you would like to see in the server. Brcn

There have been a couple of recent threads in the IL2 forum in which people have come up with a 'wish list' of maps. They may give you a place to start.
How would you like biplanes only map? -TigerTalon 12.12.05
What kind of maps do you want - 96th Thunder 12.12.05.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers :)

Brcn
03-01-2006, 14:32
Thanks Yellow2!

I will look at those threads again. Thanks for reminding me of those.

I started my first thread about a map. This is the format I was thinking of, please feel free to ask anything you want to be on the information about each map.

Thanks

RAF_WhiteEagle
03-01-2006, 15:55
On map when we have only one airbase u can put(depend on base)max 16 players. They have 2 spawn tarmac points or less.

About brief i suggest not put grid where they are but egz. in area North of Cean south of XXX east from YYY.

If u want i can make or change few maps.

bokatar
03-01-2006, 16:45
Some maps i can think of that needs immediate attention:

-Schweinfurt : not even won a single time by blue team

-Spain : too easy for blue to complete

-Smolensk2 : targets are too close to red team and too far for blue

-Tunis : lagfest ( for me ), unfair objectives and planesets

norrismcwhirter
03-01-2006, 17:19
Hi,

In response to Bokatar, as suggested in admin thread for Schweinfurt:

I'd also question the Schweinfurt map with it's dubious 'air start' from the high alt strip for P38s (if it's still like it was) et al. Fine if they're all going to do bomb runs..but they don't. How about putting all heavy bombers on the top strip and leaving fighters/fighter bombers with the same [dis]advantage as the blue side have?

Much as I dislike the early Smolensk map, I think it should stay with the addition of the 109F4 as the blue bonus; this would help because at least it would be possible to damage red planes. Of course, keep the Mig3 etc for the red bonus.

Another map that I'd like to see reviewed is the Kurland map...only because it's the one map that almost always results in the admin being requested to change it.

Tunis is, indeed, a lagfest with possibly too much ship AAA and this is almost as much of a nuisance to blue shooting planes down as it is to red defending their bombers/their bombers attack runs.

Cheers,
Norris

bokatar
03-01-2006, 18:58
thx for clearing that up jtd..

But still schweinfurt map can be tweaked to give blue a chance..

- Plane count for red and blue can be lessened

-As Norris suggested, but imho not only fighter/bombers but also heavy bombers should start from the same alt. as blue team (as in BoBblue). Spits climb better than Fw's anyway, they would still be able to cover their bombers easily..

Yellow 2
03-01-2006, 19:30
We seem to be jumping the gun and suggesting changes to maps before the brief is posted. It will make things much easier if we wait until the map brief is posted so that all suggestions relating to a map are kept together. That's if I've understood what is going on. If I haven't ignore me I'm, sure you usually do :D

Brcn
03-01-2006, 20:16
Thanks guys, I will start posting the briefings of the maps you commented about. Right now Objective_Schweinfurt seems to be the most wanted. It's coming soon.

NS-IceFire
04-01-2006, 21:48
So I should send new maps to you Bcrn? I should get your e-mail addy at some point in time.

I'm also happy to take suggestions on new map ideas or to redo (preferably from scratch) old missions or battles previously covered that we'd like to try another take on.

Brcn
04-01-2006, 22:28
You can send it to il2maps@battle-fields.com. It will be forwarded to me. Or you can send them to brcn@il2hq.com.

Veta
05-01-2006, 14:04
You can send it to il2maps@battle-fields.com.

I thought the address was il2maps@il2hq.com?

Brcn
05-01-2006, 14:29
have (at Vetas request, good idea though!) set up a new email address, il2maps@battle-fields.com. If we post this in the forum to let people send in their maps I can then redirect the mail automatically to those people who need to receive them.

the email address to send maps to is il2maps@il2hq.com

I m confused now, check this thread
http://www.battle-fields.com/commscentre/showthread.php?t=9866

Veta
05-01-2006, 14:42
Well I've sent emails to il2maps@il2hq.com and they've got through haven't they? I know that I've received them (as they are also forwarded to me).

Brcn
05-01-2006, 14:51
Yes, I received them.

NS-IceFire
05-01-2006, 15:56
So il2maps@il2hq.com is the prefered contact? I'll be finished with my creations shortly and will submit.

norrismcwhirter
05-01-2006, 17:31
BRCN - check your email...

I've modified the tool I gave you the other day to extract the properties file in a more useful manner.

The extracted info is in the attached file.

Was what I did the other day of any use?

Ta,
Norris

Brcn
05-01-2006, 21:11
The old one didnt work, but I informed you with e mail about the error? You didn't get it also? I have troubles sending mails to Veta through that account, but i can send to my other account.

norrismcwhirter
06-01-2006, 00:12
It should have worked alright..not sure what you mean. Do you mean the exe I sent? Besides, the extracted information you wanted was in the email anyway.

I've not had a reply to either mail so I suspect something is wrong. I've never had any problems with Gmail before, though.

Ta
Norris

Brcn
06-01-2006, 00:23
The problem seems to be on my side. Maybe my Virus scanner is blocking it, but i can send to my own yahoo account.

Yes the information you give is more than useful, it s very easy for me now, thanks

Yellow 2
06-01-2006, 09:30
Can I make a suggestion Brcn? You are starting a separate thread for each map and no doubt you want to get this sorted out in a reasonable time so may I suggest that each thread is locked once you have decided that you have enough feedback for that particular map. If you were going to do this anyway my apologies.

One other thing I have noticed in reading the briefings is that some contain typing/spelling/grammatical errors. This is probably just me being pedantic, it's the nature of the beast! I know that some people don't even read the briefs and my spelling is not that good, thank goodness for the spell checker in word! I don't mean to insult those who have spent time preparing the briefs it's just an observation.

Brcn
06-01-2006, 12:13
Hi Yellow2

The spelling and grammatical mistakes will be corrected in each map, thanks for reminding me. From now on, I will correct the spelling and grammatical mistakes and then post the briefing, but still please read it here and tell me if there are some oddities here. I am not a native speaker of English, so i might do mistakes easily :)

About locking the threads, I don't want to do it. Unlocked threads will still help us to correct mistakes(if there are any left with a certain map) that we might have overlooked. I think people will stop posting about that map if they are happy with it.

Yellow 2
06-01-2006, 14:26
Hi Yellow2

From now on, I will correct the spelling and grammatical mistakes and then post the briefing, but still please read it here and tell me if there are some oddities here. I am not a native speaker of English, so i might do mistakes easily :).

Ok Brcn I will try to help, you seem to have a lot of work to do. I hope it is appreciated!

norrismcwhirter
06-01-2006, 14:30
Brcn....you can always cut and paste the briefings into Word and use the checker in that...although even that sometimes gets it wrong.

Or I can put my pedant hat on and check them (although I can get it wrong, too ;))

Ta,
Norris

Brcn
06-01-2006, 14:51
I will do it on Word, but i will always trust a native speaker more than a Microsoft developed software :) You can't guess how many funny sentences/phrases they put in the Turkish version :D