Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Air War Movies

Greatest Air War Movies

Just for fun, I thought find out peoples suggestions for the greatest Flying movies of all time.
    (Flying movies involving planes with guns that is, thankfully discounting AirplaneII and unfortunately Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines)

I haven't put my favourites(I'm sure someone else will) but I've got two suggestions both from WWI -

The Dawn Patrol(1938) Errol Flynn struggles against authority as a maverick RFC pilot and then is cursed to become the authority figure he despises. More Info Here...
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0030044/

The Blue Max(1966) George Peppard as the lowly yet ambitious pilot questing for success and recognition in the hothouse of the German air 'Circuses' over the Western Front.More Info Here...
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060177/
    "Which button makes this thing go?"

Xiola is offline Major More Posts Than Postman Pat
    'The Blue Max' is great, as it 'Aces High' a similar WW1 film.

But I think nothing really rivals 'The BAttle Of Britain' from 1968.

Such amazing footage of real Spits/109s and He111's, its quite astounding.

I remember nearly wetting myself at the real hurricanes in the first scenes.!

Best scene is a Polish pilot parachutes down and English farmer arrives with pitchfork.

Pilot - 'Goooood Avteernoooon'

FArmer - 'Good afternoon my arse! You bosh b*stard!! Get yer 'ands up!! come on!'
    Last edited by Xiola; 13-05-2006 at 13:52.

Nightshifter is offline Warrant Officer More Posts Than Postman Pat
    Yup "Battle of Britain" is the daddy in my opinion, haven't seen anything that rivals it.

"dakka, dakka, dakka, dakka, dakka"

System-M- is offline Colonel More Posts Than Postman Pat
    The Blue Max is the best for WWI it just is full of great dogfights.

And yes the BoB is another great film, but don't forget the other two films!

Dambusters and 633 Squadron!

Memphis Belle and Dark Blue World are also good air war movies.

Scrappy_D is offline General More Posts Than Postman Pat
    Air America

Flight of the Pheonix

The War Lover (Steve McQueen and a B17 ... woohoo!)

The Great Waldo Pepper

Thirty Seconds over Toyko

If I can think of more I'll add them later .....

Good to see things gettin of to a 'flyin' start , BoB (of course, ave it!!!) an memphis belle bur Dark blue World not even heard of that.
    Waldo pepper, yes good film about planes,but war film? planes wiv guns? definately borderline

Last edited by vodka; 14-05-2006 at 08:59.

So cool videos

-Joni-

Has to be BOB, but I enjoyed Dark Blue World very much. It recycles footage from BOB, but also has a good (and touching) story.

However, mes ami, lets not forget "Top Gun". So funny - that wee fellow ambling around trying to assert himself.

Seriously tho' -- there's one made about 1948 with Gregory Peck as the commander of an American Bomber Squadron based in England the name of which is lost in my grey cells somewhere.(It will come to me if I don't think about it)

Also starring Gregory Peck made in in about 1952 (Ok, I admit it, first saw it in the cinema ) from an H E Bates story, I think, called "The Purple Plain". The flying scenes are few and of poor quality, but it's a moving story of adversities encountered by a war time pilot. It is of particular interest to members of this forum as our own leader, Bonehead, was employed as a stunt pilot in the making.

Addendum: Sorry. Have done the good Bone a disservice. Have looked it up and it was 1954 he contributed to the making of the purple thingy. I wouldn't like to make out he is older than he actually is.

Further addendum: Sorry the first Gregory Peck film I referred to was, of course, "Twelve O'Clock High " ( Told you it would come to me)
    Last edited by Yorgus; 14-05-2006 at 11:10.
    "There never was a good war, or a bad peace."

Benjamin Franklin

I have a film in my collection called 'Appointment in London' it stars Dirk Bogarde was made in 1952 and about a squadron leader in Bomber Command flying Lancasters over occupied Europe. This film is a very accurate portrayal of how life in Bomber Command was over this period. Well worth a look if you havn't already seen it. And yes The Battle of Britain is in there to it will never be topped I think .
    vapourtrail.

another film i forget the names of is more a war/aviation film, all about POWs who are "saved" in a train convey by tuskagee airmen (something like that i forget the storyline) and then 2 tuskagee airmen become POWs aswell quite a good story forget the name tho.

Quote Originally Posted by System-M-
    another film i forget the names of is more a war/aviation film, all about POWs who are "saved" in a train convey by tuskagee airmen (something like that i forget the storyline) and then 2 tuskagee airmen become POWs aswell quite a good story forget the name tho.
    Rings a bell --- did that star Frank Sinatra?
    "There never was a good war, or a bad peace."

Benjamin Franklin

Nightshifter is offline Warrant Officer More Posts Than Postman Pat
    Quote Originally Posted by System-M-
    That's "Harts War" I do beleive, I have it on DVD - Bruce Willis and Colin Farrell star in it. Very few flying scenes but the ones that are in there are memorable - good film.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorgus
    Rings a bell --- did that star Frank Sinatra?
    POWs, trains, Italian POW camp, Frank Sinatra- That would be 'Von Ryan's Express'

Quote Originally Posted by 96th_Nightshifter
    That's "Harts War" I do beleive, I have it on DVD - Bruce Willis and Colin Farrell star in it. Very few flying scenes but the ones that are in there are memorable - good film.
    Film might be ok, but if you have read the original book by John Katzenbach before, the film is a big disapointment (to much Hollywood).

Algorex is offline General More Posts Than Postman Pat
    Hot shots!

I picked up some NoE flying skills from Topper Harley.

Quote Originally Posted by 96th_Nightshifter

Yes thats the one! Did you know the P-51s in that film are all CG tht gets me each time its so good.

Hot Shots 1. !!!
    Life is like a radar vector, You never know what you're gonna get

The Final Countdown .. Kirk Douglas .. not a great film but a great 5mins cat and mouse dogfight between two F14's and two A6M zeros ...

Fav has to be BOB