Thread: Heller Admiral Scheer 1/400 Scale

Yellow 2 is offline Brigadier More Posts Than Postman Pat

Heller Admiral Scheer 1/400 Scale

For the last two months or so I've been working on this kit as and when I had time to spare and after some delay it's finished and I thought that I would share the final result with all you ship fans.

The kit was probably first issued twenty or more years ago and so lacks much of the fine detail we have come to expect from more recent ship kits. Having said that it does provide a more than acceptable strting point for those like me who want to try their hand at using photo etched parts to add those missing details.

The basic kit is flash free but does have some sink marks on some of the ships boats and on the funnel platform. On my example the superstructure decking was warped and despite trying to bend them back to shape they later caused gaps to appear between the main deck and the superstructure walls. With a bit more care I think I could have rectified this during assembly. The main decks are in two parts but the join line is hidden by the superstructure. I did however find that as the two hull parts have strengthening pieces which glue across the inside of the hull this means that there is no flex in the hull and the decks have to be carefully trimmed to get a fit.

The PE parts are fiddly to work with and a good array of tools is needed to cut them from the fret and shape them to fit. I found that superglue can be used to attach them but you have to get the positioning right first time and a much more user friendly way is to use PVA glue. In the end I used a combination of both glues. I also found that it helps to paint the PE parts while they are still attached to the fret.

I enjoyed making this kit and even using the PE parts and as it is nearly twenty years since I made a ship kit in a scale larger than 1/700 I think it turned out quite well.

PE has been used for Radar,the crane, cabins for ship's boats, railings,ladders, doors and scuttles and some light flak guns. The gun tub on the forward turret is made from a plastic base cut from packaging with added PE railings and a PE flak gun

The ID markings were masked off and painted red with the swastika coming from a 1/48 aircraft set. The light flak gun is again PE. The 'Aztec' plasic steps that lead from the main deck to the quarter deck have been cut off and replaced with PE parts.

Looks fantastic, nice work Yellow!

Zorin is offline General More Posts Than Postman Pat
    I do have to ask this(outof pure admiration): Are ship models as fiddly to build as I imagine? Everything looks soooo tiny.

Quote Originally Posted by JtD View Post
    Wow, very nice work! Congrats on the railings (now that I know how I did) .

The ships grey appears to be very light, how historical is it?
    The kit is supposed to represent the ship in 1943/44 but White Ensign Models who supplied the PE parts point out that for that time period the kit has a mix of parts which make it inaccurate. I built it out of the box and just added what PE parts I thought looked good. For a mid war model the colour should be overall mid grey I think. I had already bought tins of the light grey paint used pre war and in the early war years from White Ensign models and so I used those. This is the scheme seen on German warships in 1940/41. I added white to each colour to lighten them further. For a purist the model is a mixture of early and mid war features. As I had few references to go off for this ship I just did what I thought looked good.

yep , she looks great , good job.

very rewarding to get em finished

even more rewarding when other people like em

Quote Originally Posted by Zorin View Post
    I do have to ask this(outof pure admiration): Are ship models as fiddly to build as I imagine? Everything looks soooo tiny.
    To cut the PE parts from the fret you need to be able to see them as the attachment points that have to be cut are tiny. For me that meant using the sort of magnifying glass on a flexible arm that fisherman use to to tie artificial flies. It pays to have a steady hand and not to get frustrated when things don't go as planned. Although the PE parts more than doubled the cost of the kit I think that the added detail more than made up for that and I would recommend using PE but to anyone who is willing to invest the time and spend the extra on the PE and the tools needed to use it successfully.