Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optimized conf.ini setting for IL2

WhiteSnake is offline Sergeant Major More Posts Than Postman Pat

Post Optimized conf.ini setting for IL2

These settings are the Optimal Graphics Qualety settings for IL2-1946 4.09m for nVidia Geforce 8 series and higher.
    (Please keep in mind that the Resoluition, amount of RAM and the Procesor you have also influence performance.
    I recomend atleast 3GB RAM and a 2.0Ghz Dual Core if you want to use/try these settings)

Following settings are for nVidia only!

Set the nVidia controle pannel 3D profile for IL2 (1*) to Default/nVidia Recomended and set:

AntiAliasing Mode to Override Aplication Settings
    AntiAliasing to 8x or 8xQ (or higher aslong as it doesnt affect FPS to much, im running SLI 32xQ here my self)
    AntiAliasinng Transparancy to Supersampling

Multi Display / Mixed GPU Rendering to Single Display / GPU mode.

Everything else is set in the Conf.ini file and might conflict if set in the nVidia controle pannel causing lower FPS or Glitches.

Copy (2*) All of these settings over your OpenGL section of the Conf.ini file:
    (i sugest you back your orignal up just in case)

[Render_DirectX]
    TexQual=3
    TexMipFilter=2
    TexCompress=0
    TexFlags.UseDither=1
    TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
    TexFlags.UseIndex=0
    TexFlags.PolygonStipple=1
    TexFlags.UseClampedSprites=0
    TexFlags.DrawLandByTriangles=0
    TexFlags.UseVertexArrays=1
    TexFlags.DisableAPIExtensions=0
    TexFlags.ARBMultitextureExt=1
    TexFlags.TexEnvCombineExt=1
    TexFlags.SecondaryColorExt=1
    TexFlags.VertexArrayExt=1
    TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
    TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
    TexFlags.TexAnisotropicExt=1
    TexFlags.TexCompressARBExt=0
    TexFlags.TexEnvCombine4NV=1
    TexFlags.TexEnvCombineDot3=1
    TexFlags.DepthClampNV=1
    TexFlags.SeparateSpecular=1
    TexFlags.TextureShaderNV=1
    HardwareShaders=1
    Shadows=2
    Specular=2
    SpecularLight=2
    DiffuseLight=2
    DynamicalLights=1
    MeshDetail=2
    VisibilityDistance=3
    Sky=2
    Forest=3
    LandShading=3
    LandDetails=2
    LandGeom=3
    TexLarge=1
    TexLandQual=3
    TexLandLarge=1
    VideoSetupId=17
    ForceShaders1x=0
    PolygonOffsetFactor=-0.15
    PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0
    [Render_OpenGL]
    TexQual=3
    TexMipFilter=3
    TexCompress=0
    TexFlags.UseDither=1
    TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
    TexFlags.UseIndex=0
    TexFlags.PolygonStipple=0
    TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
    TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
    TexFlags.TexCompressARBExt=0
    TexFlags.DepthClampNV=1
    HardwareShaders=1
    Shadows=2
    Specular=2
    SpecularLight=2
    DiffuseLight=2
    DynamicalLights=1
    MeshDetail=2
    VisibilityDistance=3
    Sky=2
    Forest=3
    LandShading=3
    LandDetails=2
    LandGeom=3
    TexLarge=1
    TexLandQual=3
    TexLandLarge=1
    VideoSetupId=17
    Water=4
    Effects=2
    ForceShaders1x=0
    PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

Everything has to be the same as in those lists because there are a few settings in there that dont work (correctly) with out some others being set up to the correct value.

Once you Edited the Conf.ini file Do Not go into IL2 Setup or Hardware Setup! This will overwrite the changes you made to the Conf.ini file!

(1*) If the 3D Profiles does not find IL2 click on Add, Browse to the loction of your Install, than in the browse window in the bottem next to the file type (.exe) selection, type il2fb and it should find the correct file, than click Open and it should create an 3D Profile for it.

(2*) If you installed the game into Program Files you may not be able to edit/change the Conf.ini file, in that case copie the Conf.ini file to your desktop, make the changes to it, and copie it back.
    Last edited by WhiteSnake; 06-12-2009 at 14:45.

Post Ati

These settings are the Optimal Graphics Qualety settings for IL2-1946 4.09m for ATI Radeon HD3000 series and higher.
    (Please keep in mind that the Resoluition, amount of RAM and the Procesor you have also influence performance.
    I recomend atleast 3GB RAM and a 2.0Ghz Dual Core if you want to use/try these settings)

Copy All of these settings over your OpenGL section of the Conf.ini file:
    (i sugest you back your orignal up just in case)
    If you installed the game into Program Files you may not be able to edit/change the Conf.ini file, in that case copie the Conf.ini file to your desktop, make the changes to it, and copie it back.

[Render_OpenGL]
    TexQual=3
    TexMipFilter=3
    TexCompress=0
    TexFlags.UseDither=1
    TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
    TexFlags.UseIndex=0
    TexFlags.PolygonStipple=0
    TexFlags.UseVertexArrays=0
    TexFlags.VertexArrayExt=0
    TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
    TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
    TexFlags.TexCompressARBExt=1
    TexFlags.TexEnvCombine4NV=0
    TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0
    TexFlags.TextureShaderNV=0
    HardwareShaders=1
    Shadows=2
    Specular=2
    SpecularLight=2
    DiffuseLight=2
    DynamicalLights=1
    MeshDetail=2
    VisibilityDistance=3
    Sky=2
    Forest=3
    LandShading=3
    LandDetails=2
    LandGeom=3
    TexLarge=1
    TexLandQual=3
    TexLandLarge=1
    VideoSetupId=8
    Water=2
    Effects=2
    ForceShaders1x=0
    PolygonOffsetFactor=-0.0625
    PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

Everything has to be the same as in those lists because there are a few settings in there that dont work (correctly) with out some others being set up to the correct value.

Once you Edited the Conf.ini file Do Not go into IL2 Setup or Hardware Setup! This will overwrite the changes you made to the Conf.ini file!

Note that these lines have to be set to "0" for an ATI Radeon HD3000 or later card and the maximum setting for water for ATI, is Water=2.
    TexFlags.UseVertexArrays=0
    TexFlags.VertexArrayExt=0
    TexFlags.TexEnvCombine4NV=0
    TexFlags.DepthClampNV=0
    TexFlags.TextureShaderNV=0

In the Catalyst Controle Center make sure that Catalyst A.I. is Disabled.

Im running these settings on a Laptop with a AMD Athlon X2 2.1Ghz CPU and a Radeon HD4570 GPU, so if i tweak my CCC settings for Higher Quality my FPS takes a serious plunge, so i leave you guys to find wich CCC settings work best for you.
    Last edited by WhiteSnake; 17-01-2010 at 00:47.

Post Multi Core CPU

These are the posible ProcessAffinityMask settings for the game in the Conf.ini:

;ProcessAffinityMask=1 = System desides what Core(s) to use (default)

ProcessAffinityMask=0 System desides what Core(s) to use.
    ProcessAffinityMask=1 use Core 1
    ProcessAffinityMask=2 use Core 2
    ProcessAffinityMask=3 use Core 1+2
    ProcessAffinityMask=4 use Core 3
    ProcessAffinityMask=5 use Core 1+3
    ProcessAffinityMask=6 use Core 2+3
    ProcessAffinityMask=7 use Core 1+2+3
    ProcessAffinityMask=8 use Core 4
    ProcessAffinityMask=9 use Core 1+4
    ProcessAffinityMask=10 use Core 2+4
    ProcessAffinityMask=11 use Core 1+2+4
    ProcessAffinityMask=12 use Core 3+4
    ProcessAffinityMask=13 use Core 1+3+4
    ProcessAffinityMask=14 use Core 2+3+4
    ProcessAffinityMask=15 use Core 1+2+3+4

(Note that in a most cases Core 1 is labeled as Core 0 by the System)

Settings list for Intel i-Core's with HT will follow, there on my other computer in a MS exel file, converting them to the same format as these are and will at them to it ASAP.
    Last edited by WhiteSnake; 17-01-2010 at 01:18.

Nice one mate, worked a treat.

Skinny is offline General More Posts Than Postman Pat
    About the ProcessAffinityMask, what really only matters is that you lock it to a / any specific core if you have a hyperthreaded cpu, possibly in some cases if you got a multicore cpu. Whatever you set it to, il2 can not make use of more than 1 core at a time, but locking it to a core will prevent windows from switching the game from one core to another all the time, which can cause a performance hit - especially with hyperthreading where a cpu claims to have more cores than it really has, and windows XP acutally believes that .

If you have windows vista or 7, these OSs are aware of the difference between virtual hyperthreading cores and physical cores, and you can probably leave the setting at default and have windows manage it.

From what ive seen IL2 will run on a Virtual HT core, (wich is not good) especaily on Multi Cores with HT enabled.

Hi
    this settings (OpenGL) are very aggressive for my system (i7 920, 6gb of ram and a GTX275), i got good 60fps till i flew above water where fps droped to bellow 20 and game became choppy, i guess the perfect water is too much even for an i7 quad?

thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteSnake View Post
    From what ive seen IL2 will run on a Virtual HT core, (wich is not good) especaily on Multi Cores with HT enabled.
    ?
    I think you misunderstand how HT works. Its not like a thread can run either on a virtual or physical core.. every physical core works as two virtual ones, but those are completely identical. Doesnt matter if it runs on one or the other. The only things you want to avoid is windows (XP) switching il2 to different cores all the time (which is not too bad) or assigning 2 cpu intensive threads on 2 virtual cores that belong to the same physical core leaving other (real) cores unused and potentially degrading your performance by a lot as 2 threads fight it out on one core (windows XP thinking its 2 cores).

But like I said, vista and 7 are aware of virtual cores and will first assign threads to different physical cores until it runs out of idle cores, and then only assign threads to idle virtual cores on a already busy physical core.

Heh.. long explanation, hope it makes sense

Perhaps try water=2, or even 1 rather than 4. Visually the difference isnt that big

Sporran_05 is offline Staff Sergeant More Posts Than Postman Pat
    Believe LedZep's issue was rectified by using these settings.

[Render_OpenGL]
    TexQual=3
    TexMipFilter=2
    TexCompress=0
    TexFlags.UseDither=1
    TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
    TexFlags.UseIndex=0
    TexFlags.PolygonStipple=1
    TexFlags.DrawLandByTriangles=1
    TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
    TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
    TexFlags.TexCompressARBExt=1

TexFlags.DepthClampNV=1

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
    Specular=1
    SpecularLight=1
    DiffuseLight=1
    DynamicalLights=1
    MeshDetail=2
    VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
    Forest=2
    LandShading=3
    LandDetails=2

LandGeom=2
    TexLarge=1
    TexLandQual=3
    TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=3
    Water=0
    Effects=1
    ForceShaders1x=0

PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

Not as pretty, but 60 fps even on cannons Bob map. ( slideshow for Whitesnake )

Hope this helps someone.

Sporran

Skinny, i know how it works, for each Physical core you get one Virtual Core, it is posible to set ProcessAffinityMask= to a setting so the game will (try) to run on a Virtual Core, its also posible to set it so it ignores the Virtual Core's.

Core 1 is Physical, Core 2 Virtual, Core 3 Physical, Core 4 Virtual, etc. etc. thats how there ordered.

At Sporan: i never said it was a Slideshow on the BoB map, it just seems like a Lower FPS in there to me, i dont know why because it seems to be the same even if i dont have ground or water in my view, i think im at about 25fps in there instead of 40fps i normaly get. Would have to messure it.

But yes the setting i posted in here are the optimal/highest quality graphics settings and on some systems that are more powerfull than my own they dont seem to run as well as on mine.

An other point is that some people claim its the HT or something with the Intel i-Core not working wel with OpenGL, i opt for the last since the i-cores still got 136 unsolved bugs (thats according to Intel them selfs before someone starts flamin me) including the same TLB bug AMD suffert with there first series of Phenoms but it seems now Intel has it no one makes a drama about it.

Skinny, i know how it works,

Core 1 is Physical, Core 2 Virtual, Core 3 Physical, Core 4 Virtual, etc. etc. thats how there ordered..
    No mate, thats not how it works. You dont understand. Although I guess in this context your statement is correct enough, fact is core 1 is virtual, Core 2 is virtual, core 3 is virtual, core 4,5,6,7 and 8 are all virtual. However core 1 and 2 sit on the same physical core, core 2 and 3 as well, etc. Threads can only be assigned to virtual cores, not physical ones.

Now virtual cores share 95% of the physical core's resources, executions units, cache, which is why its not a good idea to run 2 cpu intensive threads on (virtual) core 1 and 2 (ie both on physical core 1) if you have >1 physical cores; the cpu will switch context on the physical core all the time to handle both threads "simultaneously", causing cache trashing and needless stalls, potentially cutting performance in half or worse. This what can happen with XP.

But core 1 is as good as core 2, its just not 2 cores, it the same core

With vista or 7 (or linux for that matter), its usually best to let the OS handle the scheduling and there is pretty much nothing to be gained from assigning threads to cores.
    Last edited by Skinny; 18-01-2010 at 15:21.

I see what you mean, yeah, each Physical Core basicly gets split in 2 Virtual Cores, i was thinking you ment Core 1 is Physical and than Core 2 and 3 would be Virtual and 4 Physical in your other post but i see what you mean now.

I know with the Pentium Dual Cores it worked that way, they had only one Physical Core that got split into 2 Virtual Cores.

There are people that say that the game runs smoother if they set it to run on one of the "Physical" cores as i named them, especialy on Core 7 (ProcessAffinityMask=64) that the game runs better (less stutter/higher fps) but also seen reports that it makes no difrence at all what core they set it to.

I never gone to deep into the HT subject so far, i went from the Pentium 3 to AMD and stayed with AMD for all my "game" systems.

Asigning a Core to the game on a Core 2 Duo or Quad does work fine under Vista and Windows 7, Same with the AMD Quad Cores, how ever i dont notice any difrence from asigning a Core on a AMD Dual Core (like i mentioned yesterday on Team Speak, Windows 7 seems to have AMD Dual Core Optimizer by default (posibly by Windows Update on install?) that something wich XP and Vista did not have, you had to download it your self from the AMD site.

I know with the Pentium Dual Cores it worked that way, they had only one Physical Core that got split into 2 Virtual Cores.
    Anything branded as dual core really had two cores. I think you are confusing with the early Pentium 4s or EE: single core, but hyperthreaded. Intel was never sleezy enough to market hyperthreading as multicore.

There are people that say that the game runs smoother if they set it to run on one of the "Physical" cores as i named them, especialy on Core 7 (ProcessAffinityMask=64) that the game runs better (less stutter/higher fps) but also seen reports that it makes no difrence at all what core they set it to.
    People say a lot .

It can, and probably is true that binding il2 to a core, any core really, as long as its just ONE, improves performance marginally as it prevents windows from reassigning the thread from one core to another. If you have 8 virtual cores and no other cpu intensive threads running there is really no reason to move a thread from one core to another, but windows still does this. Not sure why, perhaps to distribute heat evenly across the cpu?

You can test this; on a dual core machine, run il2, then open task manager and you might see both cores being loaded like 60-70% but none at 100%. Thats windows moving the il2 thread between cores a few thousand times per second. So neither core is fully loaded all the time, each core works on the thread 50% of the time (possibly 25% on a quad core). The "extra" cpu load as 2x60-70% > 1x100% is because of this shuffling and I figure it might incur a small performance loss.

All the rest is baloney really. Unless you do stuff like running >7 instances of folding@home while playing il2, or running one instance of F@H and manually setting it to core X and locking il2 to the same core X (duh), unless you do stuff like that, setting an affinity mask to different cores does nothing. All cores are equally fast on todays cpu's (that might change one day).

Asigning a Core to the game on a Core 2 Duo or Quad does work fine under Vista and Windows 7, Same with the AMD Quad Cores, how ever i dont notice any difrence from asigning a Core on a AMD Dual Core (like i mentioned yesterday on Team Speak, Windows 7 seems to have AMD Dual Core Optimizer by default (posibly by Windows Update on install?) that something wich XP and Vista did not have, you had to download it your self from the AMD site.
    "Dual core optimizer" is just marketing. AFAIK its a fancy name for a bug fix related to cool and quiet, where windows would monitor the activity of core X, decide its mostly idle and clock the speed of the cpu down to save power, while core Y was running your game at 100% load. So in some cases you lost a lot of performance if you enabled C&Q. Thats been fixed ages ago.

Like you said your self before Windows mainly uses the first core for System resources etc, so locking the game to an other Core should prevent it from having to share the CPU with that and preventing Stutters from the game jumping from one core to an other. Atleast thats the main reason people say they lock it to a core.
    Personaly i did not notice any difrence on any of my systems.

With Out AMD Dual Core Optimizer Vista i got freezes stutters in some games, checked the CPU loads and both Cores where at 70% load with sometimes one of the cores spiking at 100%, Installed DCO and the first core has 20% load while the second core is at 90%, wen the second core hit 100% use it seems to move/share part of that load to the first core as the load on that increases while the load on the second core drops a bit.

Same thing i saw it do yesterday wen i was playing on UKD3 and was monitoring my system on an other screen.

Also noticed that wen the Game loaded my memory usage climed at the same rate, went from 1.3GB to over 3GB and even came close to 4GB at times during playing.

Like you said your self before Windows mainly uses the first core for System resources etc, so locking the game to an other Core should prevent it from having to share the CPU with that.
    I never said windows uses the first core. It doesnt. The scheduler's task is to schedule threads, and it will do that to idle cores whenever possible. Whether that thread is a windows thread (say indexer or whatever) makes no difference. If you lock il2 to core 1, the scheduler is smart enough to schedule the next thread, windows or otherwise, to a different (idle) core. Windows might be stupid in many ways, but its not THAT stupid that it will run its own threads on a fully loaded core if others are available.

With Out AMD Dual Core Optimizer Vista i got freezes stutters in some games, checked the CPU loads and both Cores where at 70% load with sometimes one of the cores spiking at 100%, Installed DCO and the first core has 20% load while the second core is at 90%, wen the second core hit 100% use it seems to move/share part of that load to the first core as the load on that increases while the load on the second core drops a bit.
    Hmm then it sounds like it locks a busy thread to a core, so its pretty much the same as setting the affinity mask in conf.ini, or using task manager to link a thread to a core. Id still call it a bugfix

Also noticed that wen the Game loaded my memory usage climed at the same rate, went from 1.3GB to over 3GB and even came close to 4GB at times during playing
    But how much is IL2 using? I bet considerably less than 2GB, in fact probably under 1. Remember task manager reports RAM used as disk cache as "in use" as well. If you put 16GB RAM in your system after some time windows will "use " 12GB or whatever even if you are playing solitaire.

On the Memory thing, Windows wont start using more and more ram over time, especaily not 12GB out of 16GB, mine just barly uses 1.5GB wen im running small applications.
    Like i said: "Also noticed that wen the Game loaded my memory usage climed at the same rate, went from 1.3GB to over 3GB and even came close to 4GB at times during playing" and wen i close the game it drops back to 1.3GB again.

On all the rest:

I just made this treath to put up some usefull stuff, not to turn it into one endless discusion, im already so tired of it that i dont feel like putting the whole 8 core Procesor Affinety mask thing in here anymore.

After i was done with that i was gonna put some key Conf.ini settings in here explaining what they do and what effect they have, including combined settings (lines in the conf.ini that dont do anything by them selfs)
    Stuff you wont find on any other Forum.

Im just trying my best here to post something wich might be usefull people on here, and not turn it into an endless discusion, i was just going to post the rocessAffinityMask= options here for up to 8 cores so people could experiment with it, i dont know enough about it to really give advice on it.

There is not a single thing in there thats incorrect, but like i said before those setting for the Conf.ini are for the Highest Quality Graphics for the Game so if it doesnt run as you like you can always make changes to the Conf.ini to lower the Qualety a bit and gain FPS.

The point of this Thread was to give people a guideline to find the best posible settings for there systems, not starting an discusion.

If you want to go into discusions about whether IL2 does use more than 2GB or not and the Affinity Mask and HT related to IL2 go to the other Forums where they come up with all the storries about setting the ProcessAffinityMask, 4GB Patch etc. etc. like the Mod makers forums or some other non squad/server related forum on IL2.

There is no need to get peeved, I dont want to rain on your parade, just explain some things that have been misunderstood by many for years. Of course if you want to benchmark 20 different affinity mask settings without realizing what it does, dont let me stop you...

Wow, this still going on, why dont you write a book together instead

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Wow, this still going on, why dont you write a book together instead
    guys the game works like a charm on a quad core here (i7 920)
    not sure i want to mess with the affinity settings but if you can shed some light on what the hell are they doing to get the game run better i will be all ears