Thread: Cold Boot issue... Gfx card or Mobo?

Cold Boot issue... Gfx card or Mobo?

I got a slight problem with my graphics card and mobo regarding screen corruption on cold bootup.

This only happens on cold boots, it might boot ok, then again it might take 5 to 10 power downs and reboots to post properly.

I thought it was a PSU issue with not enough power getting to the gfx card, but after removing virtually all connections to fans and additional hdd's the problem remains.

Once the PC has booted into windows i have no issues what so ever, it runs fine not one issue.

I have done various searches on the web and i can not find anything related to the problem, so i am at a loss whats going on, but i believe there is a conflict with the particular gfx card and motherboard chipset

Asus P8P67-M Pro
    Gainward GTX 580 Phantom 3Gb.

both are running up to date bios/firmware.

If i can not resolve this problem i will be purchasing a new improved motherboard possibly : http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...=5&subcat=1990

Has good reviews and is solid.

If anyone has any possible solution to this please post your recommendations

Thanks for listening.

Scif

My bet is either PSU or GPU power regulation crapping out on you. If it worked before, I wouldn't blame MBO.

My recommendation is to try with another GPU/PSU if the same symptoms happen...

Dose the PC work OK after it finally boots up?

LEVEL BOMBING MANUAL v2.0
    'MUSTANG' - compilation of online air victories

Quote Originally Posted by T}{OR View Post
    My bet is either PSU or GPU power regulation crapping out on you. If it worked before, I wouldn't blame MBO.

My recommendation is to try with another GPU/PSU if the same symptoms happen...

Dose the PC work OK after it finally boots up?
    Yes mate it works fine.. no issues at all once booted.. I thought it was PSU and am tempted to replace my Corsair HX520 to a HX750.

As standard i have 2 HDD's 2x SSD's , DVDrom, 8 Case fans inclusing CPU ones.
    Last edited by Scif; 23-04-2012 at 14:11.

I still think it might be the GPU. Do test it before you decide on the new components.

Any OC on the rig?

LEVEL BOMBING MANUAL v2.0
    'MUSTANG' - compilation of online air victories

makes no difference with OC or not mate... i might try the card in the Mrs pc, but not sure hers has enough power to run it.

Do you have another gpu card to try in MB? Does the MB have onboard GPU?