Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1C and 777 join forces

1C and 777 join forces

... in other words: "IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad"

Official announcement

New forum

Announcement at 1C
    Last edited by T}{OR; 11-12-2012 at 12:44.
    ... my foldable "Hog Pen"

"Initial client release is slated for early 2014"

If all goes like usual, the actual date is between 2021-2027, so no need to upgrade computers yet

Indeed.

Here is FAQ explaining lots of stuff.

Q. Why was the Digital Nature engine chosen instead of the CLOD engine?

A. The Digital Nature engine is an advanced game engine that has been developed over several years and powers ROF with great results. Besides being relatively bug free and well-functioning, it has advanced physics, realistic flight-modeling, progressive damage modeling, complex ballistics, detailed environmental modeling, detailed terrain modeling and superb graphics rendering. Above all else it is more modular and flexible than the CLOD engine. It can even support different types of player vehicles from main battle tanks to giant robots. Using the Digital Nature engine will provide users with a well-functioning product at launch that can be brought to market fairly quickly. It can still be further enhanced in the future as needed.
    EDIT: 777's new Channel map WIP for ROF
    Last edited by T}{OR; 11-12-2012 at 14:35.

So the rumour we heard about this joining of development teams was true.

About time the flight sim development houses joined forces, imagine what could be achieved if they were all pulling in the same direction, excellent news imo.

This is good news, I have had ROF for 2 years now and its always been way better than Clod. Both in content and performance.

Triggaaar is offline Staff Sergeant More Posts Than Postman Pat
    So after all that time being told how cutting edge COD was, and how once streamlined it would be great, and how other developers would use the engine, and now it's completely dead (ie, you can play it, but that engine won't be used again or developed further)? Blimey.

Solnyshko is offline Warrant Officer More Posts Than Postman Pat
    Yeah, made me wince. Bath water and baby comes to mind...

I think we need to look at the positives, Clod was poor and never was going to make it, Total lack of content. Now ROF is a good flight sim with a good graphics engine that will lend its self to ww2 perfectly. I think the future looks really good and i am looking forward to it.

Kang is offline Warrant Officer More Posts Than Postman Pat
    Funny how not so long ago someone said the next patch for Cliffs of Dover would come around when we all would install the first add-on. This seems to be one step further on the 'this can't be salvaged anymore'-ladder, but fine, perhaps just starting over is what should have happened years ago. Despite RoF recently giving me all sorts of new troubles again the guys at 777 seem to be doing a great job overall. After all they had been looking at making an East Front themed WW2 flight sim for a while. I for one just hope this doesn't end up having us stomping around the Russian steppes forever, since that is not really my favourite theatre, and especially doesn't mean we'll never get a proper Battle of Britain.

Is it me or do developers lately make 'getting back into flying a bit more' really hard on purpose?

Novotny is offline Brigadier More Posts Than Postman Pat
    Well, that certainly seemed the dev's plans with regard to the next patch. Unfortunately, they didn't sell enough copies and their management lost faith.

It's an enormous pity.

After the first blog from Loft about the direction it`s going there are a few disgruntled folks already, no clickable cockpit, the cockpits will be less detailed than CloD etc etc, sort of puts me off as well tbh.

Algorex is offline General More Posts Than Postman Pat
    Seeing as the Il-2 franchise seems to be going down the Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six road, we can be thankful for at least one game in it being actually good. At least they're promising build-in moddability.

Quote Originally Posted by SMURFY1967 View Post
    After the first blog from Loft about the direction it`s going there are a few disgruntled folks already, no clickable cockpit, the cockpits will be less detailed than CloD etc etc, sort of puts me off as well tbh.
    Was the clickable part that good? I never got Cliffs so I don't know...I just figured I'd still be pressing the hot keys in the heat of battle.

The less detailed part has me a bit concerned but less detailed by how much? Cliffs cockpits were true works of art. But I can only imagine it'd be difficult to crank out too many with that level of detail... I can see why even if I don't necessarily agree with it.

I enjoyed the clickables but they`re not essential for me, the drop in detail is significant though I don`t want a slightly improved IL2 10 years on from IL2`s release, I want a massive improvement especially in cockpit detail, CloD`s was magnificent, anything markedly less is going to kill it for me. I`ve tried that War Thunder and that is aracade style crap a real backward step, if IL2 follows that route it will be a sad day. I hope they start banging out screen shots that will show a good level of detail and quality, if not I`ll wait for the reviews before giving em the cash.

I think you have to take RoF's cockpit's as the benchmark, and there was nothing wrong with them in terms of detail. I'm slightly concerned by the statement that everything will be DX9, no 10 or 11 as DX9 is 'sufficient'. That shows a lack of foresight IMO, along with the '32 bit only' statements. How many of us are on Win 7 64bit now?

Vast majority. DX9 I can live with, more or less (DCS World looks great). But no x64 support? First bad news...

2014 and 32bit only???
    For me CoD became playable after switching to 64bit version. Before that it kept crashing all the time.

I'm not too worried about those things. Rise of Flight is very good looking and runs well. 32bit support will be around for a while yet as will DX9. I just hope they intend to upgrade the core engine as they go along...

I do hope it plays well. Gameplay needs to be upped a notch.

http://www.simhq.com/_air14/air_526a.html

This article from SimHQ gives me some hope. It's about Rise of Flight but it shows (to me) at they seem to have a good grasp on the details, the game looks good, and they aren't over stretching.