Thread: Rising Storm Impressions

Rising Storm Impressions

As some have/ may have known i am part of the testing team, Gladly my NDA has been slightly lifted so i can give opinion on what i think of the game & post screen shots/ videos with some limitations.

First of all, i have to say it is a massive improvement over standard RO2 in terms of performance and for game play as well, many of the small annoying bugs that were in RO2 have disapeared for the better.

Weapons:

All sides have great weaponary, although the American forces do have a massive advantage for them, due to the largely Semi or Fully automatic guns, the Japanese do have some advantages against them though.

Rifles: The japanese rifles being the Arisaka type 38 & 99 are incredibly powerful and will stop Americans pretty quickly, the sights and using them is accurate. You do start off with the bayonet attached to them, so you can partake in the ever so fun Banzai charges on the allied forces. I find the Type 99 a better rifle overal due to the larger round and very unlikely to see a American stop to heal himself. Although it is a Unlock for Rifleman and a normal rifle for Squad and Team leaders.

The M1 Garand is how you imagine it, a accuate and fast shooting rifle, that is handy in many panic firing situations, the rifle will ping when ever you change an magazine (Sure someone will correct me) or when it goes empty. Some unlocks are avaiable later on for it,

Springfield, I prefer this over the M1 Garand as i find it a lot more powerful and accurate and really performs better for me as a weapon for my own personal playstyle.

For all sniper varients i haven't tried them so can't say.

SMGS:

The Type 100 SMG i love it, very fast firing and accurate to a certain range, it will go through the 30 round mag extremely quickly, but a perfect weapon for going against M1 Garands and the evil Flamethrowers. The sights arn't particlarly great on it, but do the job fine enough. Just think of a Sten gun but better :P

The Thompson i haven't used it a lot myself, only when i have found one as a Japanese solider or when i go Squad Leader, it is extremely good, nearly as much so as the Type 100. It is the model with the top sliding bolt.

LMGS:

Browning Automatic Rifle (Unsure how to classify it) When i go american, this is normally my go to weapon without question, brillant for laying down covering fire and for cleaning out buildings, or even long range shots on single shot mode. It is very unstable and can be poor to aim but a great gun.

Browning .30 Cal Machine Gun, Can't really say much about it, since i haven't really used it that much.

Type 96 & 99 LMGS: Same as the .30 Cal can't say much but are rather annoying.

Other:

Knee Motar: This is incredibly fun, with help of fellow soliders spotting for you, you can wipe out quite a lot of enemy soliders no matter where they are, It has two fire modes a Direct and In Direct modes. For indirect you get a overlay of a orange arc and where about the grenade will land. They are indeed one of the scarier weapons and a perfect terror weapon when compared to the American Flamethrower.

Flame Thrower: It is fun in a sadistic way of things, hearing the screams of soliders after they have been torched is rather chilling, perfect bunker wiper weapon. Although as soon as you light it up, you will become a bullet magnet and people will try to wipe you out asap.

Booby Trap grenades: One special thing the Japanese can do is to lay grenades as a trap in any light soil etc. Many Americans will blindly run into some places so they make a good defenceive weapon. You also can shoot them yourself or the Americans can which can try to get a kill sooner or later, if you crouch over them they are less likely to go off. For them you can plant two and they stay after you die. If you replace them, the previous ones will dispear or if you throw them the same thing will happen.

Katana: Not much to say apart from slashy slashy. During a Banzai charge these are scary to encounter as are very strong and will dice you into cube shaped pieces.

Maps:

The maps on rotation are brillant. They range from lush jungle battlegrounds to the beaches at Iwo Jima.

GuaduaCanal: You are attacking as Japanese in attempt to get to Hendeson field airbase, Many of the objectives can be difficult but great flanking possiblitys. Also cans are hung on wire, to give the Americans some form of warning of you approaching.

Hanto: My favourite map. Jungle terrian, again with Japanese attacking, plently of folliage to hide in and to surprise people, again with great flanking possiblities.

Iwo Jima: Extremely fun beach storming map. The Americans are attacking for this one and it can be extremely difficult especially when the Motars start raining in. You do how ever have big ship guns for Arty support and the flame throwers do a good job for the bunkers.

Saipan: Second favourite map, A cityscape/ Beach storming map. Flamethrowers are incredibly helpful for a lot of the buildings, although many places for the Japanese to lay down booby traps or to snipe you from.

Kwajalein: Is another beach storming map, many ways quite a bit more difficult for both sides then Iwo Jima, many places to hide and defend from the Americans, although with a decent Commander and Squad Leaders you can make a easy job of the Japanese.

It will be a Day 1 pre-order for myself when it is released. Also i may possiblily have a Serial key as well, Although only really want it to go to someone who would play it though.

Also if any others get it, Take a look at the credits.

I will post some screen shots & two videos when sorted into a post under this one. Also if any questions will try to answer, the best i can, if it breaks the NDA i will not though sadly.

Chris

Screenshots: More will go up after normal seasion play time.

From Kwajalein.

From Hanto.

A rather firey death.

Click for bigger screens.

GuaduaCanal: Many i have for this map break the NDA, so have to wait till i can get some more.

Saipan: Many i have for this map break the NDA, so have to wait till i can get some more.

As before click for bigger.

Videos:
    Being uploaded should be avaiable soon. Should be in 720P. Another will come later as well.

Chris

Managed to grab a key for the invitation beta at TWI forums today. Still downloading.

Looks interesting. But i don't think i'll leave bf3 for it.

Novotny is offline Brigadier More Posts Than Postman Pat
    Downloading now.

Quote Originally Posted by Novotny View Post
    Downloading now.
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Marta View Post
    Managed to grab a key for the invitation beta at TWI forums today. Still downloading.
    Have both of you been able to give it a try and what are your opions on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Coenraad View Post
    Looks interesting. But i don't think i'll leave bf3 for it.
    That is very fair. Not a game for all, but if you own RO2 you will get a lite verison to try out though.

Another vid, Did just as bad, but still loved it.

Novotny is offline Brigadier More Posts Than Postman Pat
    I'll be having another bash at it this evening, but so far have only played GuadalCanal. Very confusing, but then I'd imagine fighting in the jungle at night was.