Thread: An-225 @ Zagreb [Nov 8-10]

An-225 @ Zagreb [Nov 8-10]

An-225, the biggest plane in the World is currently in Zagreb. Stopping here to take the new power transformer to Philippines. Loading will take between 10-14h this whole day, and I am just on my way out - been cleared to visit it up close. The plan it to take as many pictures as I can, and video the thing.

Like a true plane spotters, mrs. T}{OR and I, together with few colleagues from work and a whole lot of other people visited the airfield when it landed last night. Here is the video:

The mrs., like many others, just couldn't withhold from commenting. You will not understand much I guess, but it more or less translates to being scared and wanting to run. The thing flew over us at no more than 30-40m. Words can not describe the experience when Mriya fired up landing lights and emerged from the dark.

(the sound wasn't nearly as loud or deafening as the video makes it)
    Last edited by T}{OR; 09-11-2013 at 14:31.
    ... my foldable "Hog Pen"

Awesome. I remember that thing going over my head on approach to Farnborough. I was standing outside a pub, and I swear you could have fit the pub in the plane.

airdoc is offline Sergeant Major More Posts Than Postman Pat
    Nice!

Sounds like mrs Thor turned on the lights and emerged into the dark .

My grandparents lived in a house which was directly under the landing approach of Düsseldorf airport. It was avery noisy place.
    The sight and sound of huge jet planes on landing approach bring back good memories to me.

Ok, I am now officially crazy. Got up at 4:30 AM and went to the Airport to record this fully loaded beast taking off. It is a real shame they did not delay the flight for as little as 20 minutes. It was moments before dawn. The recording starts not more than 2 seconds after the tower gave them permission to take off. A group of (over) enthusiastic plane spotters was near me so I had the privilege to listen the communications all the way from startup.

I did record as much as I could yesterday, but the images are nothing to brag about. The video material is nice though and I will have to edit it into a single file before uploading. Until that is done, here are a couple of photos from a local aeronautical group that was lucky enough to get on the actual plane:

Definitely the most impressive part of the An-225's interior is the cargo hold . At 43 meters in length - enough to play several sports! - This cavernous space includes a ceiling hoist (seen in the distance), as well as cables that are used to pull the cargo in and remove the need for hoisting. The blue guide rails on the bottom were installed specifically for the power transformer, and are tailored to meet the needs of the cargo carried.

An aquamarine panel and six throttle levers - its hard not to guess the aircraft! Crewed by a chunky six crew members - the captain, F/O, navigator, comms officer and two flight engineers (one for the engines, the other for the electrics and systems), the cockpit of the An-225 is decided cramped and gloomy... but has so much feel and character you have to forgive all its faults!

A slightly different view of the Mriya's main landing gear. An interesting detail is the uneven wear on the tires; from this perspective of the right main leg, the outer tires on the rearmost wheels are the most worn out, damage identical as the one I've seen on the left leg (and caused primarily by the nose-up attitude at landing, which means the rear tires suffer the most stress).

One of the rarely seen sections of a large aircraft is the avionics bay, which on the An-225 takes up so much space that Ryanair could probably cram 50 people in there. A hot and stale section - kept warm by banks and banks of comparatively old avionics and cooled by numerous fans - is not the best place to be, but is absolutely fascinating to observe and study.

Time to shine. With the transformer suspended from two cranes it was time for the day's most critical maneuver - rotating and setting the thing directly down onto the wooden skids across which it'll be pulled into the hold. With a mix of Croatian, Ukranian, English and Hungarian, the guys and gals involved had managed to put the transformer down on the first try, precisely and without drama.

A bit more exercise while attempting to snap the Mriya whole once again. Even though it is fantastic from any angle, the 225 is most impressive when its tail surfaces dominate the frame. Borne out of pure necessity when carrying external loads, the twin vertical stabilizers encompass 32.65 meters of space between them - only two meters short of the wingspan of the A320 in the back.

Elevated view of the loading operation.
    Last edited by T}{OR; 10-11-2013 at 10:45.

Scruffy is offline Sergeant Major More Posts Than Postman Pat
    Incredible sight, something you don't easily forget. Lol, the missus @ 0:37 almost sounds like saying "οϊμέ!" an interjection commonly used in ancient Greek tragedy meaning Alas! used to express calamity and misfortune.

Hehehe, not that far off I recon. The correct translation would be, and this is what she repeatedly kept saying: "oh my!".

Blast from the past!

I finally put together a video from my recordings when An-225 visited Zagreb:

(video description also includes lots of forgotten details)

Thanks for sharing!

It is a monster thing isnt it You sort of realise how heavy the freight is when it takes 2 cranes to lift it!
    Never trust a man who when left alone in a room with a tea cosey, doesn't put it on his head
    If you are going to buy online why not do it and help B-F keep going at the same time!

Follow this Link to our Amazon Store

DONATE TO KEEP B-F SERVERS GOING

YW! The thing is gigantic, there is no photograph or video that I've found to even closely captures the feeling of standing next to it.

IIRC this isn't that big of a loadout for this bird.

This is from a couple of years ago I was on a job discharging this Anatov and several C 17 loads from RAF for the rescue submarine, same one attempting rescue on Kursk sub in the arctic. I was allowed to sit in captain seat on the C 17 and talked for half a hour with the captain that actually was born in Norway, A dream job, I never asked to take photo inside the C 17 , I was just too much in a state of awe. I did not take any pictures of the mounting of the sub and its base on a Norwegian Coastguard vessel, that was just "normal" work. I operated a 400 t crane at that time and the sub weight was 32 metric tonnes