Thread: Some of the stuff I've been working on...

Some of the stuff I've been working on...

Here are some pics of some of the projects I´ve been working on for the last few months. Everything is in 1/6 scale, a.k.a. 'Battle Barbie' scale

Rifleman of the XIth International Brigade, Spanish Civil War, circa 1937. French 'Adrian' helmet, Dutch M98 Hembrug Mannlicher rifle, with a custom painted head and self made sweater.

Dutch Bren Gunner from the 423th Battalion , Dutch East Indies (during the 'Police Actions'), circa 1949. He is wearing an interesting mix of British and US gear. US Marines cap and customised 'Duck Hunter' overall, British Bren gun, webbing, shoes and anklets. The booklet in the background is the Battalion booklet from my grandfather, he served as a draftee with the 423th until he was wounded by a grenade, 3 days after his 19th birthday... So this figure is kind of an homage to him

German Fallschirmjager, Crete 1941.

German MG 42 Gunner, Italy 1944.

Figure bases.

Sideshow Toys Lewis Gun modified to a Dutch M.20 model. Added sights, handle on the Barrel shroud (typical for Dutch Lewis Guns), gas piston below the barrel shroud, 100 round drum magazine, stock brace and other details.

Custom painted heads for a customer.

I use headsculpts in resin by Tony Barton (http://www.antheads.co.uk/ check it out, his work is absolutely AMAZING!! ) for all my figures. None of the figures are 100% done, they still need weathering of the clothing and gear and scratch-build stuff like weapon/equipment slings etc...

good work Fusek!
    Why be normal when you can be happy?

My current (long term project); remaking this photo in 1/6

German Fallschirmjäger of I./FJR.1 with 81mm mortar at the Weeskinderendijk in Dordrecht, May 11th 1940 (yes, I did my research )

Bare base with Dutch Marine figure to give an idea how big this diorama will be, the figure is about 30cm. The grass is one of those pre-made sheets used for railway scenery, but this dio will have hand placed grass like on one of my figure bases to give more randomness in height, grow direction, colour variation etc.

State at the moment with ground base layer in place,

Some of the accessories that will be in the diorama. The ammunition boxes are from a customised one originally made by Dragon which was way too thick and recast in resin. As you can see I've painted some of them already but have more to do. Still to do are repainting and detailing the 81mm mortar made by Dragon, customising the four figures and making two Dutch greatcoats that are laying on the dyke in the original photo. Lots of work to do still!

They are superb mate!
    Where do you get the models from?
    Keep us updated as you go along, I enjoy watching peoples projects like this.
    Never trust a man who when left alone in a room with a tea cosey, doesn't put it on his head
    If you are going to buy online why not do it and help B-F keep going at the same time!

Follow this Link to our Amazon Store

DONATE TO KEEP B-F SERVERS GOING

Thanks Bone! The models and gear come from different sources. Over the years me and my father have build quite an collection, mostly Dragon figures and some vehicles, mainly focussing on German Fallschirmjäger, but some British stuff as well. At the moment we are selling off quite a bit of it because of space issues, so I'm customizing figures and selling them at 1/6 scale meetings and on e-bay. At the moment I'm also working, slowly, on a German pioneer from the Grossdeutschland Division in the spring of 1944, a Luftwaffe pilot in Italy circa 1943, a German Gebirgsjager from 1944 and I also make custom figures etc for other people, which is real fun to do!

I like a little grass on my dykes

How do you make the grass and soil?
    Never trust a man who when left alone in a room with a tea cosey, doesn't put it on his head
    If you are going to buy online why not do it and help B-F keep going at the same time!

The soil is dried potting soil. It has lots of little roots and sticks etc in it so it gives a realistic base. After that I fixed the soil with some adhesive spray. Underneath that is a construction of building foam and a mesh of sporting tape over which I draped pieces of burlap soaked in plaster. The grass is grass-fibre made for railroad scenery. I've diluted some transparent drying wood glue with water over which I sprinkled the fibers with a modified electric fly-swapper. I have a tea sieve connected to one pole of the batteries, and a insulated copper wire with a metal end on the other pole. When I hold the wire in the wet glue and sprinkle the fibers through the sieve, the static electricity makes the fibres stand up straight! You can buy these things for €120+, but this cost me only about €3, with the tea sieve being the most expensive

The whole diorama is pretty low budget, with the MDF for the sides, sporttape and wood glue I'm down for around €25. The grass fibers are the most expensive at around €6. I bought two bags and it looks like I will have some left after I'm done. The rest I already bought for other projects. And the best thing is that theres already somebody willing to buy it from me when I'm finished, so I'll probably make some profit at the end of it all

Excellent!
    Would be interested to see the grass sprinkling tool

The dyke is finally DONE, just in time for a small 1/6 fair I went to today. Still needs more work, but it's beginning to look like the original photo

'Welcome to the Rat House' This here is my latest figure, a late war German Obergefreiter. Again, custom head, uniform gear and weapon customised and weathered etc.... I think its my best one so far! I really tried to go for that 'We've been on retreat for the last 1500km and I don't like it anymore and just want to get home alive' look.

Last edited by Fusek; 07-03-2015 at 16:28.

Chuff me mate that is absolutely awesome!

Shameless plug for my new blog at www.vetomilitarymodeling.wordpress.com where I've uploaded some better pictures
    Last edited by Bone Head; 10-03-2015 at 11:13.

website is down for me, maybe DNS problems?

Ive edited the link you made to fix it

Novotny is offline Brigadier More Posts Than Postman Pat
    Bloody good work

Very nice mate.

God darn... but you have to ge better camera
    Life is like a radar vector, You never know what you're gonna get

One of my current projects, a German Afrika Korps pilot. Still needs weathering and some details need to be changed like insignia etc, and one of the irises needs some touching up. I painted the face and arms with a new technique where I whet the surface with matt medium and 'flow' the colours in to blend it better and give a more realistic appearance. The colours are ground up pastels and pigments mixed with some of the medium.