Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 220 degree screen

220 degree screen

Im in the middle of a bit of a project; building a 737 simulator.

Part of the build involves a 220 degree 2.4 meter high screen. it uses 3 HD 1080p projectors (optoma gaming projectors), the firs one arrives tomorrow all being well.

I wondered if anyone has any experience linking 3 monitors together with any of the sims we play? The 737 sim will use either fs2004 or another commercial version of it, multiple projectors has been down with this and there is plenty of info out there but I thought for a laugh whilst im building the sim and waiting for parts I might try something else, maybe a car racing sim

Anyone have any tips?
    Never trust a man who when left alone in a room with a tea cosey, doesn't put it on his head
    If you are going to buy online why not do it and help B-F keep going at the same time!

Follow this Link to our Amazon Store

DONATE TO KEEP B-F SERVERS GOING

Here are some pics. Early days yet but ....

Never trust a man who when left alone in a room with a tea cosey, doesn't put it on his head
    If you are going to buy online why not do it and help B-F keep going at the same time!

Im looking at Nvidia graphic cards, ideally I want to run 3 HD projectors from one card. Which might be a bit optomistic. Does anyone use sli or crossfire in their machines at all?

Sweet! My foldable build looks like a toy in comparison.

EDIT1: Doh, says HD in first post.

My recommendation would be something with lots of VRAM. Are you looking into single or multi GPU solutions? For multi GPU solutions VRAM doesn't stack together, instead you are still limited to the amount available on the single card. That could change in the near future.
    Last edited by T}{OR; 28-04-2015 at 22:07.
    ... my foldable "Hog Pen"

Bone

I use a 7850 and R7 265 in crossfire, works fine in BOS, however everything i have noticed in FSX and x-Plane 10 is they don't like SLI/Crossfire, all the forums for both Sims point towards the fastest single processor and gpu that you can afford. I am happy with my crossfire setup! but now i am using x-plane 10 and one of my cards is not been used, i suddenly have the urge to upgrade to a R9 290 or a GTX 970.

Lovely project mate, cant wait to see it finished, will follow this thread
    Teamspeak Stats Realtime:
    Click On Sig Below

Skinny is offline General More Posts Than Postman Pat
    I have been out of the hardware loop for a while, but some years ago ATI (now AMD) made a big deal of they call 'Eyefinity', that is: three monitors, with one card. OR even up to 6 on some cards. nVidia couldnt do it back then. Also back then it required two monitors to be connected through HDMI and one through DisplayPort, or vice versa. Not sure how it is these days. If your projectors dont support DP, Im sure you can buy converters.

Bloody ambitious and cool project though.

nVidia cought up, now they support as many monitors as ATI/AMD. But many of these cards ship with mini DP connectors, like Skinny pointed out.

I think Arctic uses two GTX 670s in SLI:

http://www.battle-fields.com/commsce...dations/page12

For a multi GPU I'd go either dual 970s or dual 980s.

Nov and Fox convinced me to get the Nvidia 970.

Loving the project!!! Where do the hydraulic rams go in?

Seriously though - I've done a lot of research into graphics cards lately. The card recommended by Nov and Fox is a great card. It's as good as the AMD equivalent. I can only find them with Dual display port connectors though? You may also need something with a little bit more oomph to drive 3 projectors at a HD equivalent resolution with a decent frame rate.

Keeping the price "realistic" I'd switch to a higher spec AMD - such as the 295X2, Overclockers have the Sapphire R9 X2 with 8192MB GDDR5 for 499- it would handle what you're trying to do without an issue.
    Last edited by Wardy; 29-04-2015 at 12:42.
    Life is like a box of chocolates.

Ive heard of folk having trouble with the R9's though in the past.

I think the way I will have to connect the projectors is by using adapters to hdmi.

The only issues I've heard of with the R9's are either using too small a PSU (it's rather hungry on the watts) or trying to put 2 in the same system and using Crossfire - the results aren't as good as expected and often are worse...
    Life is like a box of chocolates.

Quote Originally Posted by Bone Head View Post
    Nov and Fox convinced me to get the Nvidia 970.
    For such a high resolution you are aiming for (high VRAM needed), I would go with 980. 970s suffer from 3.5 GB bug, where the rest of the 500MB runs at a much slower speed. nVidia took a lot of flak over this recently.

Yeh the 970's have bad bug on running anything over 1080P from what i have read(but there good up to 1080P), especially when using more than 3.5 vram as it slows the card down, get 980 to be safe, i think i get that right.
    Click On Sig Below

Novotny is offline Brigadier More Posts Than Postman Pat
    It's really not that big of an issue.

I guess its really only a problem if game uses over 3.5 GB vram anyway, do many games do that, i guess over 1080P some will ?
    Click On Sig Below

Its flight sim 2004 or Prepar3d, which is basically the same thing, its an old game I cant see it being that intense on the graphics?

Ill do some testing on my PC

Skinny is offline General More Posts Than Postman Pat
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone Head View Post
    Its flight sim 2004 or Prepar3d, which is basically the same thing, its an old game I cant see it being that intense on the graphics?
    I cant imagine so either but, it would be a crime to build a cockpit room like that, and not be able to fly other modern flightsims

^^
    One punishable by low.

Punish away!
    This will just be a 737 NG, we already have all the panels, FMC's throttle quadrant center pedestal, yoyes etc etc. We just need to build a new cockpit / frame.
    If this works out OK Im going to be building a couple of other sims for dogfighting etc.