Thread: Erika

Exclamation Erika

As of:
    0300Z
    2200EST
    August 27th 2015

Might be some trouble in paradise down here.

I have no idea what Sunday is going to be like - I imagine raging with the electricity turned off. We have a generator (very common down here) but no idea if the internet will be working. It'd be lovely to fly while the storm rages outside but only the fates and their knives will decide if the internet shall remain (or the rest of the island for that matter!).

The longest I've seen the infrastructure down for is 2 weeks (no power - no water - most roads blocked by debris)
    I'm hoping this one will not do too much damage. The government owned utilities are at an all time low in regards to service and quality.

It could be a good while until things get back up and running if they are damaged

If your interested in tracking it
    NHC - American Hurricane Centre

Currently is just going to be a "windy weekend" if it does not go above 75 MPH.
    We all start biting our nails in the 130MPH+ range.
    (Although this "windy weekend" has already killed four people in Dominica)

Quote from the NHC
    There is unusually high uncertainty in this forecast, especially at days 3 to 5,
    There is a chance its going to restrengthen when it enters the hot shallow waters surrounding archipelago of The Commonwealth of The Bahamas.
    They are also expecting the wind shear and dry air that is currently pushing its way into the centre of the storm (keeping it weak!) is going to slack off thus allowing for further strengthening. The storm is looking to pass south of the island I live on (New Providence) which gives potential for serious sustained rainfall. It's been a long time since we've had a storm go south of us. They usually spin off into the Atlantic to the north east, usually just brushing past the eastern side of the archipelago.
    I'm a little anxious about the rain.....
    Past Hurricanes have been deceptively dry.

The cautious weather forecaster in me is planning for Cat 1 to Cat 2 storm
    Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale

However I'm always relieved when I'm wrong

If I don't make it - tell Tex to boost the wind up to 36 Meters-Per-Second and enjoy the Hurricane with me!
    Don't forget to turn on Turbulence!

I'll try and take some pictures if your interested!
    Best of luck this weekend. God Speed.
    I'll add additional information to this thread as it comes. I'd really like to fly this Sunday!

Good Luck and I hope to fly with you on Sunday. When I visited Cuba in the christmas holydays of 1995 I had an impression of how suddenly the weather can change within 15 minutes in your area from a sunny clear sky to dark skies and very strong winds .

airdoc is offline Sergeant Major More Posts Than Postman Pat
    Looks like you 're about to get a rough ride.

Best of luck

Hope to see you with us on Sunday.

Good luck and I hope you don't break that 2d record.
    ... my foldable "Hog Pen"

Looks like we are in the clear. Expecting a rainy weekend. No need for sandbagging thank goodness!
    Should be all clear to fly on Sunday - borrowed a new HOTAS joystick from a friend so I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Another storm behind it - Might be back in the fire again in a week or two

Tx_Tip is offline Captain More Posts Than Postman Pat
    Good to hear that you will dodge this one windseeker.

We are reliving Katrina media wise for the 10 year anniversary here in Houston. Lots of NOLA folks decided to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Tip View Post
    Good to hear that you will dodge this one windseeker.

We are reliving Katrina media wise for the 10 year anniversary here in Houston. Lots of NOLA folks decided to stay.
    I saw that on the news. Gotta admit was kinda frustrating trying to get Erika information while every channel is playing Katrina footage (scared a bunch of people here - they thought it was images of Erika in Dominica.)

Glad it's passed. Another one is officially "on the way" will post more information in this thread as it comes.

Erika done dead

Next one out there is marked with an orange X off West Africa.

The 50% refers to its probability of development over 48 hours.

Murphy says it will arrive next Sunday at 11am EST
    Last edited by windseeker242; 29-08-2015 at 16:38.

I'm glad it passed.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk