Thread: Drone Fails

Drone Fails

It seems that drones crash and can be brought down by dogs geese and most amusingly monkeys with sticks!

Never trust a man who when left alone in a room with a tea cosey, doesn't put it on his head
    If you are going to buy online why not do it and help B-F keep going at the same time!

Follow this Link to our Amazon Store

DONATE TO KEEP B-F SERVERS GOING

Novotny is offline Brigadier More Posts Than Postman Pat

Might all need a license soon to weed out the idiots

Chatting with one of our cabin crew the other night her bloke is looking to set himself up win business with a drone. Dont know if he has any idea how to fly one though
    Never trust a man who when left alone in a room with a tea cosey, doesn't put it on his head
    If you are going to buy online why not do it and help B-F keep going at the same time!

Skinny is offline General More Posts Than Postman Pat
    We already have license requirements for drones here. And the rules are insane and insanely burocratic. Without license you can operate a <1Kg 'drone' (or anything rc) up to 10 meter height. Anyting beyond that needs a license, and there are two kinds, basically class 2 up to 5Kg and 50m altitude, and class 1 up to 150Kg and 100m. Now that doesnt sound too bad, except for the height limitation,but the requirements for class 1 are comparable to a PPL license for theory and medical, and the amount of paperwork needed to actually do a flight is completely ridiculous. The drone needs to be licensed, have a flight book, hilarious operating procedure requirements, you need to notify authorities 10 days in advance for most commercial flights etc etc. Ok, for a 150Kg drone I can see why, but Id need all that to legally fly my 500gr bebop at 60 meter!

Anyway, I too would like to make a living from drones somehow, and I'm gong to get my license, but I do not yet see where the demand is going to come from, especially here with these legal limitations. The most profitable thing for now is probably operating a drone academy; to get a license you need to follow theoretical and/or practical courses at a recognized school. Doing so will cost me almost 1000 for the theoretical part and 2-3x that for the practical.

Other than that, I dont know. Aerial photography probably, but really anyone with a phantom can do that, so I dont think there is much to be made there. Agriculture here is too small scale I think. Inspection of things like wind mills perhaps, though that height limit may be a problem.

Ironically I have all the exams required to fly a drone commercially Although I would have to do a flight testI dont have a clue how to operate one

To be fair I think that if you are going to operate a drone for a living and make money doing it then you should have to be qualified to do it safely. I used to do aerial photography from light aircraft, we had to operate under the control of an Air Operators Certificate, be properly licensed and be limited to where and when you could carry out the work.

There were those who used to do it illegally and bad things would happen from time to time, like a midair collision near our airport because someone was in the military low flying area taking photos in his cessna. Threee people died.

Some people dont have common sense which is why there has to be legislation. That said I think if you are flying something like a phantom 50m up I dont see that you can do much damage.

Skinny is offline General More Posts Than Postman Pat
    I dont mind there being legislation or even license requirements, quite on the contrary, Im all for sensible legislation. But as so often, the basic idea behind it is sound, its just how its implemented here that is idiotic. Take the 10 meter restriction for instance; a 500g drone is no more dangerous at 50m than 10m. Why then do I need a license for it, one that will then also allow me to fly 150 Kg (!) drones over crowds ? I'll tell you why; its because it gives a legal monopoly to the professionals for most aerial photography, even the completely not dangerous kind. Also, the only way to legally fly my 200gr discus launch glider is filing a flight plan 10 days in advance! Oh scratch that, I cant do it legally at all, because the manufacturer (whoever that is) doesnt provide certification, or an operating manual, etc.

And the paper work is even more ridiculous. I dont think it exists in English, or Id link some examples of forms you need to fill out. It was inspired by general aviation, but it really doesnt make a lot of sense for a small drone. At times its hilarious. Tells me walk around the drone for a visual inspection. Imagine doing that with my 25cm bebop.

The exam requirements are also ridiculously easy for the practical part (in fairness, just how difficult could one make it with a self flying, GPS/sonar/flow sensor etc enabled drone?) , and slightly over the top for the theoretical part, as its essentially the same as for a PPL.
    Last edited by Skinny; 20-05-2016 at 13:53.

Best of luck with it if you are going to try and make a living out of it. I did look into it briefly but the cost to take the exams would mean the need for guaranteed work for me or else I could not justify the money. I am happy racing for fun tbh. Am going to be entering a few tournements this year at Weston Park and one of the other big shows.

Give me a shout Tim if you are up north anytime.

I think the thing that has caused the problems with the whole model thing is FPV. When I flew models if it went out of sight then you could wave goodbye to your model and all the kit in it. I think as always its the few who have spoilt it for the many.