Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: To VR or Not To VR?

To VR or Not To VR?

that has to be the question.

I know a couple of guys at least have given it a go and I also know at least one of them sent it back. So whats the deal? Is it worth the investment yet?
    Never trust a man who when left alone in a room with a tea cosey, doesn't put it on his head
    If you are going to buy online why not do it and help B-F keep going at the same time!

Follow this Link to our Amazon Store

DONATE TO KEEP B-F SERVERS GOING

Having only 15 minutes of experience with a Vive, I would say: not yet worth it. Its worth experiencing if you have the chance, at a friend or on a show or something. If thats not an option, and you have a fairly high spec smartphone, consider buying a ~$15 VR goggle for it. But dont expect to spend a lot of time actually using it.

For most games, especially flight sims, I think headtracking is a much smaller but wiser investment, possibly combined with 3D monitor(s).

I think that is how it seems from what I have read too. I dont know anyone with one.

I am thinking of adding to my flight sim fleet with a couple of fighters and thought VR might be fun (and smaller) than 2 screens.
    Never trust a man who when left alone in a room with a tea cosey, doesn't put it on his head
    If you are going to buy online why not do it and help B-F keep going at the same time!

The sony vr headset is incredible. Seems I can't get over it making me feel very sick though. My children love it.
    Life is like a box of chocolates.

@ Bonehead, buy it through Amazon and give it a whirl for 2 or 3 weeks, if it isn't for you then at least their returns policy allows you to send it back. I flew War Thunder, their VR implementation is fantastic and although it's a 'sim light' I nearly twisted my head off my shoulders constantly checking my 6...and I mean it was near neck strain! WT was fine as it had tags on the planes so identification was no problem. Any other sim without tags would be challenging in regards to aircraft identification as indeed indentifying anything else at distance...airfields etc.

@ Wardy, my kids absolutely loved VR as well, especially the VR rollercoaster sims (me as well admittedly). Stick it out with the motion sickness thing, it did go away with me.

Flight Sims place a huge demand for good resolution in VR, other games worked very well, OR came bundled with Luckys Tale, it worked well as did EVE Valkyrie which came free with the pre purchase.
    VR mk2 though has my name all over it.

Novotny is offline Brigadier More Posts Than Postman Pat
    Apparently Asseto Corsa is pretty good, I'd love to hear some reports on that.

Do they work with DCS stuff? That would be awesome. Ive been pestering DCS on facebook about the lack of dedicated server. No reply yet. everyone should pester them!

It works in DCS and is very good, It will shine with the WW2 prop stuff and the likes of the Huey, basically where you don't have a myriad of joystick commands to have to remember. Anything too modern in terms of systems will have you peeking at your keyboard which does kill immersion a tad. Trying to read the MFDs and the HUD in the modern stuff will have you using the zoom function.
    (For me) Roll on VR CV2 + DCS WW2 + CloD

Im sick to death of saying it but DCS needs a dedicated server. can we all go on their facebook page and send them a message. they arent listening to me

4K VR goggle for 339:
    http://www.gearbest.com/pc-headset/pp_423476.html

Dont actually buy them though, I read some reviews and it has serious issues, the most important one being that it uses HDMI (and thus cant do > 30 Hz @ 4K resolution). I also has no 3D position tracking (only rotation), no IPD adjustments,.. Probably more suitable for watching movies than gaming, but it shows promise for the future

Rift + controllers for $399, supposedly

https://www.engadget.com/2017/07/10/...me-price-drop/

At that price, Im getting tempted.

I've just re bought off Amazon, they have a prime day today, Rift and controllers for 400, that is superb value to give it a bash, I paid 500 with no controllers last year.
    If you're not happy, return it. If you're out of the 30 days you will be able to sell this with little or no loss.
    I'm flying IL2 Stalingrad/Moscow and am curious to see how it plays in VR. It's meant to be fantastic by all accounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive got prime but dont see the offer vapour

Im still leaning towards a PIMAX 4K. It has no positional tracking, only angular motion, nor any controllers; but what I would use it for (soaring sims), I dont need either. The extra resolution however, is something I certainly can use, and one thing that puts me off the rift.

Pimax 8K is also something to keep an eye on. It will be more expensive even than the rift, but "8K" res, 200 degree FOV and it does have positional tracking and controllers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bone Head View Post
    Ive got prime but dont see the offer vapour
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01...ds=oculus+rift

Hope the link works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It did thanks but I decided to wait I just bought some new bits for my car and there is too much month left at the end of the money right now

Just been on the oculus website they are selling them for 399 including controllers on there now.

IL2 BOS/M is very very good with this, icons on is the compromise, that is really for identyfing far out targets. The cockpits and lighting are superb. Once you are in the action you don't even notice the icons because you are craning your neck so much (good chiropractor?).
    I said before and now the immersion is what it's all about. Really has to be experienced in this sim.
    This time around with IL2 I've had no motion sickness, not sure if that's game related or not.

I've been playing this every night since I got an Oculus again. Last time around I found FSX hard to fly due to not being able to pick out runways at distance, DCS hard to fly due to not being able to read MFDs and HUDs properely.
    I enjoyed War Thunder apart from the arcade stuff.

In the bundle I have the touch controllers, I didn't think I would use these but I have to say they are great fun, really like a pair of virtual hands. The kids are having a blast with them with the included games.
    Sent back the last time really (in retroflection) due to the price V content V quality.
    399 for this package (hardware & software) is very good value.

Im going to have to give this a try arent I? I have so many projects on the go right now though and not enough time. Work gets in the way.

What GFX card you using Vapour?