Thread: Outerra

Skinny is offline General More Posts Than Postman Pat

Outerra

Do you guys know this? It basically appears to be a "world engine", that generates the entire earth based on maps and even openstreet data:
    http://www.outerra.com/

It has some planes and vehicles to explore the world and the result looks staggering

Especially once you read the comment below:
    Bern was added in Outerra in the last update (http://forum.outerra.com/index.php?t...42555#msg42555).
    It's an early demo of the OpenStreetMap implementation in Outerra. OSM is a world database of roads and buildings locations, kind of like Gmaps but open and community driven. The buildings in this scene are from World2Xplane, a model pack created by TonyWob for Xplane and converted by Levi for Outerra (with authorization). It's a placeholder since Outerra doesn't have a lot of buildings yet.

The only hand-made part of the scenery is the airport visible at the end, made by Uriah and me, it's not yet something the generator can handle. But everything else (roads + buildings position) is generated from OSM. The devs are still working on the importer, once it's ready there will be a global dataset release for the whole world 

Now that is pretty impressive!
    Never trust a man who when left alone in a room with a tea cosey, doesn't put it on his head
    If you are going to buy online why not do it and help B-F keep going at the same time!

Follow this Link to our Amazon Store

DONATE TO KEEP B-F SERVERS GOING

Would this work with virtual reality goggles? What glider sim is it Im sure you mentioned it before but I cant find the post.
    Never trust a man who when left alone in a room with a tea cosey, doesn't put it on his head
    If you are going to buy online why not do it and help B-F keep going at the same time!

Skinny is offline General More Posts Than Postman Pat
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone Head View Post
    Would this work with virtual reality goggles? What glider sim is it Im sure you mentioned it before but I cant find the post.
    Yes,it supports oculus rift. And its not a glider sim, thats the cool thing. Its just a "world engine". You'll find other video's where they drive around in trucks, or fly jets. Like this one:

I think there is an airbus 380 too.

Im having a look now, although I fear I may be going down a rabbit hole!