Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What goes up ......

What goes up ......

Never trust a man who when left alone in a room with a tea cosey, doesn't put it on his head
    If you are going to buy online why not do it and help B-F keep going at the same time!

Follow this Link to our Amazon Store

DONATE TO KEEP B-F SERVERS GOING

Skinny is offline General More Posts Than Postman Pat
    Yeah. Im freaking out. Only +184.04% since the beginning of this year.

It is worrying

I wished I had sold at the top. Im going to do what all the teenagers do on Reddit and panic sell at the bottom then get angry with the world after.
    Never trust a man who when left alone in a room with a tea cosey, doesn't put it on his head
    If you are going to buy online why not do it and help B-F keep going at the same time!

airdoc is offline Sergeant Major More Posts Than Postman Pat
    Waiting till after segwit implementation to buy . I think this month will be very bumpy for all cryptocurrencies.

Every month is bumpy mate, its all part of the ride!

cant buy AMD GPUs for all the miners jumping on the band wagon. nothing in stock anywere.

LOL I bet the manufacturers were the ones who invented cryptocurrency

Just a heads up should you have any bitcoins left; Stellar Lumens is doing a drop, meaning they are giving away some of their tokens to bitcoin holders. For every bitcoin you have, you receive ~1000 lumens, worth around ~$30 currently.

Ownership has to be proven by signing a message with your wallet software, and you need a (fake) facebook account. You needed to own the bitcoin(s) on the 27th of this month I believe, thats when they took a snapshot.
    https://www.stellar.org/lumens/bitcoin-lumen-program/

Byteball is doing a similar drop in July.

Whats the idea behind this?

Any thoughts Skinny?

https://youtu.be/JTCB5bRGQj0

Quote Originally Posted by Bone Head View Post
    Whats the idea behind this?
    Its just a way to achieve a reasonably fair initial distribution. Coins like stellar are not mined like bitcoin, so they are not created through mining, they where all created instantly with the genesis block. You need a mechanism to distribute these coins among as many people as possible, particularly when these coins have voting power. If they are concentrated in a few hands, you undermine the whole premise and security of that blockchain.

So its not charity, its partly PR, partly to ensure the thing can actually work.

Any thoughts Skinny?
    Yeah, I think its a 90 minute long video that I havent seen. Anything in particular I should know or you wanna know?

I just found it interesting but I ended up on the side of the guys who have developing Bitcoin for the last few years. Im not impressed with the way things are going.

I just found it interesting but I ended up on the side of the guys who have developing Bitcoin for the last few years. Im not impressed with the way things are going.
    Frankly, bitcoin development hasnt progressed much in the past few years. Thats not necessarily a bad thing (it still works), but Eric is taking a lot of credit for the work of his predecessors.

As for the crux of the arguments; I think several things are at play here. Its mostly a fundamental disagreement, about what bitcoin really is: is it a secure store of wealth (Eric's take) or is it also a payment/application protocol. And who ultimately decides? And again, I dont agree with Eric. Ultimately in bitcoin, miners decide the global consensus of valid transactions. That is their sole purpose. And you can call them "greedy", the financial incentive is built right in the core of the protocol, greed is what makes it work.

THe second thing that I suspect is at play here, which is not said out loud, but I think Eric is alluding to, is asicboost. I dont know much about it, but its a way to increase miner performance that Antminer is almost certainly using, and that a hardfork could prevent from working. That is not a good reason to resist segwit1x, but its probably part of the mexican standoff.

In the end though, what I do agree with with Erik, is that we shouldnt fear a chain split too much. Sure its bad for PR, it may tank the price of both chains, but thats not what matters in the long run. If the community doesnt reach a consensus about what bitcoin should be, let it split, we'll have one more coin, and the market will decide which one will win. Or they both coexist. With 1000 altcoin in existence, whats one more?

All good points but I still would rather the people who have kept things running carry on to do so. Just my thoughts. Antminer might have the biggest share of miners too, it doesnt mean that they have to be allowed to control everything. If it splits I know which direction I will head in. Im sorry I just dont trust China with my money

Ive voted with my miner for what its worth

What goes up,

Goes up?

$4140

I know. Skinny, next time I dont take your advice please slap me!

Although it is on its way down again. Im quite chuffed because when it was at its peak I used my bitcoin to buy a new graphics card. now its on the way down I can afford to get back in, as long as its after pay day . Result .... potentially!

what card did you get?

1080 Its ordered but that said I think we are going to put it in the sim because its been glitching with the 980