Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What goes up ......

airdoc is offline Sergeant Major More Posts Than Postman Pat
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny View Post
    Its not so much spam attacks I was worrying about. As I recall iota claimed the best way to help secure the network, was to spam it. Apparently, that wasnt the full truth, and the prospect of free DDoS attacks isnt a great one. But TBH, its more forking and double spend attacks and other game theory based attacks that no one else has thought of yet that you should be worried about. DDoS-ing segments of the tangle could be part of such a strategy, particularly without coordinator.
    Yes, you 're right. The "spam advantage" refers to the state of the network without a coordinator. Currently, coordinator allows spam attacks to happen, if someone saturates the few available public nodes with massive 0-value uncomfirmed transactions. Devs have already said (before this attack) that they are moving soon to a distributed form of coordinator (which supposedly is the final step before getting rid of it altogether) and are introducing a "discover your neighbors" algorithm (don't know exactly what it means exactly, cfb said that it will be a form of AI with swarm logic).

Daytrader I recall hearing the story about the lost hard drive a couple of years back. I think people where digging through the landfill then trying to find it as it was worth about 7.5 million.

I also recently read a post where a young man committed suicide because he had lost a big chunk of bitcoin.

More to life than being rich. I could of been a millionaire now if I had listened to skinny some years back; or got rid of battle-fields and put the money in the bank LOL
    Never trust a man who when left alone in a room with a tea cosey, doesn't put it on his head
    If you are going to buy online why not do it and help B-F keep going at the same time!

Follow this Link to our Amazon Store

DONATE TO KEEP B-F SERVERS GOING

Skinny is offline General More Posts Than Postman Pat
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone Head View Post
    More to life than being rich. I could of been a millionaire now if I had listened to skinny some years back; or got rid of battle-fields and put the money in the bank LOL
    ...or if you had bought Apple/google/amazon/ shares 20 years ago. Or if you just filled out those numbers on your lottery ticket last week.
    I read those suicide stories too, but Im not buying it. "I could have been a bitcoin billionaire" applies to everyone, except maybe the winklevoss twins who actually are bitcoin billionaires. And imagine the irony if or when the price comes crashing down, and we'll get another load of those stories, only about people who didnt sell. Fortunately, most people seem to handle not being a billionaire just fine though.

Speaking of which; Airdoc, wow, your iota are certainly doing well. Are you taking profits, or do expect this parabolic rise to go on? Ive taken profits before, bit I think I will again now, this is getting a little too crazy for me.

Speaking of which; Airdoc, wow, your iota are certainly doing well. Are you taking profits, or do expect this parabolic rise to go on? Ive taken profits before, bit I think I will again now, this is getting a little too crazy for me.
    I 'm hodling for now Skinny. The number of IOTA followers on reddit is on an exponential rise (went from 30k subs to 50k in 2 weeks) and there is a big spike at google trends for IOTA. Bittrex is going to list it very soon and other major exchanges are coming. The UCL wallet which will get rid of all the user problems is about to be released. There are major announcements to come in December regarding their partnerships, which will be played on mainstream media.
    Also, there is a new feature called "Q" that, according to the developers is going to be so important that will "push iota to the 3rd place within 24 hours". IOTA devs have not hyped at the past, so I believe them.

So i think that this course will continue. Judging by the fact that IOTA's price already hit 8$ at Coinone, I expect it to at least go that high.
    Last edited by airdoc; 06-12-2017 at 10:35.

Some speculation about "Q" from reddit:

Microsoft have a quantum data project, termed "Station Q". The idea is to hold extreme amounts of info/data that normal computers cannot hold.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/rese...ara-station-q/
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/quantum/

IOTA's focus is on data and m2m transactions on a quantum-proof environment that is infinitely scalable (in theory).

December 14 there is going to be an announcement from IOTA about their cooperation with Microsoft. Perhaps they reveal something about it there. If it IS something like this, IOTA will see another explosion for sure.

The downside of this hype is that exchanges can't handle the volume. It's already at 2 billion$ (!!!). Binance is down and bitfinex's wallet is stuck processing.

EDIT: and btw, I really hope this comes true (for all cryptospace's sake). Because it will shut up voices like Stiglitz's, who claim that there is no inherent value or social use for blockchain tech.
    Last edited by airdoc; 06-12-2017 at 12:14.

On another note, I had a discussion with a military officer yesterday night about IOTA. He was of the opinion that, if data transmission can be in the form of messages and is completely un-crackable, the US military would probably take an interest in the future.

Daytrader I recall hearing the story about the lost hard drive a couple of years back. I think people where digging through the landfill then trying to find it as it was worth about 7.5 million.

I also recently read a post where a young man committed suicide because he had lost a big chunk of bitcoin.

Hi mate, will try and get on TS soon for a chat, yeh only a few years back we were talking about if to buy bitcoin at what i think was like $300+ at the time, if i was going to i would have got a couple of thousand worth, but did not, oh well.
    Teamspeak Stats Realtime:
    Click On Sig Below

Sold my remaining Iota. I just see too many red flags. Best of luck with yours.

Sold my remaining Iota. I just see too many red flags. Best of luck with yours.
    thanks Skinny. It is a rather nerve-wracking experience. Fingers crossed.

Daytrader I havent been on TS that much of late, or has anyone else for that matter LOL
    I think the biys are using the web based one that you pointed us towards a while back. I just sit there and talk to myself
    Never trust a man who when left alone in a room with a tea cosey, doesn't put it on his head
    If you are going to buy online why not do it and help B-F keep going at the same time!

Well i never see anyone in the BF discord server i created back in 2016.
    Teamspeak Stats Realtime:
    Click On Sig Below

ask Nov he will know

Quote Originally Posted by airdoc View Post
    thanks Skinny. It is a rather nerve-wracking experience. Fingers crossed.
    Nerve wracking is the right word for BTC too right now. By the time I hit submit on this post, it might have crossed $15000. Well over +100% in the past month, +400% in the past 6 month. I dont think we've ever seen it go up quite this extreme since 2013.

And Ill be honest, I dont like it one bit. Sure, its cool when I check my blockfolio app that I seem to be getting rich, well, virtually. But I'll need months to clear up the tax situation before I can actually cash out, and I am getting worried wallstreet is playing tricks. Pour a few billions in btc, making the price explode. Then when the future markets open, short sell it, sell your pile of btc to make the price collapse. From BTC trades, that might be a wash, but then cash in your shorts and those hedge fund managers can say "see, we were right when we told told you it was a bubble, and btc is nonsense".

Now if that would actually work remains to be seen, as other deep pockets may think otherwise, and every new record high does set a precedent. A few months ago, I thought a crash to $1000 was entirely possible, today that seems a little unlikely. Wallstreet might be able to cause flash crashes on exchanges, but if they want to sell me their BTC for $1000, I'll gladly buy them, and I wont be alone.

Frigging weird times, I tell you. Whichever way this goes, I think it will be historic.

Nerve wracking is the right word for BTC too right now. By the time I hit submit on this post, it might have crossed $15000. Well over +100% in the past month, +400% in the past 6 month. I dont think we've ever seen it go up quite this extreme since 2013.

And Ill be honest, I dont like it one bit. Sure, its cool when I check my blockfolio app that I seem to be getting rich, well, virtually. But I'll need months to clear up the tax situation before I can actually cash out, and I am getting worried wallstreet is playing tricks. Pour a few billions in btc, making the price explode. Then when the future markets open, short sell it, sell your pile of btc to make the price collapse. From BTC trades, that might be a wash, but then cash in your shorts and those hedge fund managers can say "see, we were right when we told told you it was a bubble, and btc is nonsense".

Now if that would actually work remains to be seen, as other deep pockets may think otherwise, and every new record high does set a precedent. A few months ago, I thought a crash to $1000 was entirely possible, today that seems a little unlikely. Wallstreet might be able to cause flash crashes on exchanges, but if they want to sell me their BTC for $1000, I'll gladly buy them, and I wont be alone.

Frigging weird times, I tell you. Whichever way this goes, I think it will be historic.
    Totally agree with you on this one. A bet would probably pay more if it is on the possibility of something that seems unlikely (at least short term), which is btc crashing. Also, the exponential rise cannot be sustainable. It took 8 years to go from 0 to 7k and a month to go from 7k to 14k. If btc switched to a linear rise, gaining 1-2k per month I 'd be ok, but not now.

But it is something historic

Edit: it would be interesting if we knew how much the bets pay (crashing vs booming).
    Last edited by airdoc; 07-12-2017 at 11:16.

Totally agree with you on this one. A bet would probably pay more if it is on the possibility of something that seems unlikely (at least short term), which is btc crashing. Also, the exponential rise cannot be sustainable. It took 8 years to go from 0 to 7k and a month to go from 7k to 14k. If btc switched to a linear rise, gaining 1-2k per month I 'd be ok, but not now.

But it is something historic

Edit: it would be interesting if we knew how much the bets pay (crashing vs booming).
    You read it here first:
    http://www.expansion.com/mercados/di...9368b45f9.html

Use google to translate. Seems like futures are postponed or canceled.

As for exponential not being sustainable; bitcoin is following an S curve, like almost anything that grows organically, bacteria, networks, facebook users, .. . The exponential part cant last forever, but I'll be damned if I had an idea at what point the growth will begin to flatten out.
    Last edited by Skinny; 07-12-2017 at 11:48.

Thanks for the link.

I don't know Skinny. I 'm seriously considering to get off the market. I was hoping for it to last until the end of 2017 but now I 'm thinking it could crash anytime.
    If a big correction doesn't come soon, I 'm probably out. This is getting ridiculous. It's going to be well over 20k before the end of the month at the current pace.

Thanks for the link.

I don't know Skinny. I 'm seriously considering to get off the market. I was hoping for it to last until the end of 2017 but now I 'm thinking it could crash anytime.
    If a big correction doesn't come soon, I 'm probably out. This is getting ridiculous. It's going to be well over 20k before the end of the month at the current pace.
    Never ever sell everything. I once predicted here that BTC could reach $1000 and no one took me seriously (it was under $5). Of course I didnt assume it would, Id be filthy rich if I had been convinced, but I was open to the possibility. And thats why I didnt sell everything at $50 or $100 or $500 or $1000. I sold a lot, of course, with hindsight, way way way too much, but never everything. Its a strategy I'll hold on to. $20K may sound "absurd" today, but one day it may sound like $100 does now.

TL;DR by all means, if you get nervous, take some profits. But dont sell everything. Even what may look like pocket change today, could change the life of you or your children. Not saying it will, but keep an open mind .

Ive just dug up my old Einsteinium wallet up I got excited because I though I had loads, I havent, I do have loads of coinye coin though

Thanks for the advice.

I 've come to realize that selling everything is not the way to go in crypto. Had some milestones set for selling 25% and then 50%. They came close with IOTA going all the way to 5.5, but it corrected (I 'm roughly 50-50 on IOTA and BTC at the moment.)
    I honestly believe that IOTA will exceed 8$ before the end of the year if the market doesn't crash, so I 'm hoping that it comes sooner rather than later.
    It's a damn thrill though

cheers
    Last edited by airdoc; 07-12-2017 at 17:17.

Ive just dug up my old Einsteinium wallet up I got excited because I though I had loads, I havent, I do have loads of coinye coin though
    Einsteinium? that's way cool for a coin name.