Thread: Prusa MK2S 3D printer

Skinny is offline General More Posts Than Postman Pat

Prusa MK2S 3D printer

Got myself a new toy. Due to its popularity, I had to wait 7 weeks, but a few days ago, it finally showed up, my Prusa i3 MK2S kit.

Its my 3rd kit printer, but its by far the best kit I ever assembled. Really enjoyable experience:

Im even more stoked by the print quality though.

This is about as good as it gets for FDM printers.

Ive been looking on gearbest at 3d printers. Thanks for the review.
    Never trust a man who when left alone in a room with a tea cosey, doesn't put it on his head
    If you are going to buy online why not do it and help B-F keep going at the same time!

Follow this Link to our Amazon Store

DONATE TO KEEP B-F SERVERS GOING

Quote Originally Posted by Bone Head View Post
    Ive been looking on gearbest at 3d printers. Thanks for the review.
    From what Ive seen, the A8 is not bad if you want a first/budget printer and there is good community support if you want to improve it.
    But after having had too many problems with my previous printer(s), this time I really wanted something that would just work, and work well. It was either going to be the MK2, or a resin printer. I considered this one:
    https://nl.aliexpress.com/store/prod...788133262.html
    (do check shipping cost before you get too excited) but it still seems somewhat experimental and resin is messy.

I also wanted the option to upgrade to this multi material config :
    http://shop.prusa3d.com/en/printer-u...l-upgrade.html

I'll probably build a second printer for the multi material upgrade, but rather than ponying up another Ä740, I may go with a "DIY" MK2S clone, like this one:
    http://www.makerfr.com/en/2017/03/07...mante-3d-i3-r/

Just watching a video on resin printing. Bit messy and too advanced for me for sure
    Never trust a man who when left alone in a room with a tea cosey, doesn't put it on his head
    If you are going to buy online why not do it and help B-F keep going at the same time!

Prusa MK2S 3D printer

Donít think youíll be able to use the i3 Mk2 MMU with that kit. Checking out the specs, it uses the older Ramps board instead of the Mini RAMBo used in the Mk2s and doesnít have the Mk42 heatbed, both of which are needed for the Firmware used to run the MMU. I ended up just getting a second MK2s just for single extrusion and upgraded the older Mk2 to MMU. Itís a bit finicky at times, so Iíd consider waiting until a few more revisions of the firmware. If youíre comfortable modding firmware to begin with, you may as well consider just printing the parts and cloning the MMU yourself. The extruder gears are standard Bondtech and the only nonstandard thing youíd need are the cooling tubes that go into the multiplexer. The rest is off the shelf type stuff. That said, Iím not comfortable around firmware and wanted something that just worked, so I paid the price and waited for delivery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jslick_007; 26-07-2017 at 08:26.

Quote Originally Posted by jslick_007 View Post
    Donít think youíll be able to use the i3 Mk2 MMU with that kit. Checking out the specs, it uses the older Ramps board instead of the Mini RAMBo used in the Mk2s and doesnít have the Mk42 heatbed, both of which are needed for the Firmware used to run the MMU. I ended up just getting a second MK2s just for single extrusion and upgraded the older Mk2 to MMU. Itís a bit finicky at times, so Iíd consider waiting until a few more revisions of the firmware. If youíre comfortable modding firmware to begin with, you may as well consider just printing the parts and cloning the MMU yourself. The extruder gears are standard Bondtech and the only nonstandard thing youíd need are the cooling tubes that go into the multiplexer. The rest is off the shelf type stuff. That said, Iím not comfortable around firmware and wanted something that just worked, so I paid the price and waited for delivery.
    So you have the MM upgrade? Cool, feel free to share you experience with it.

and yes, you're correct about the controller board, but if I decide to go for the MM upgrade, either I put that on my current MK2S and use the clone for single extruder printing, or just buy a second mini rambo. But I only just got my MK2S and I'm too busy printing silly stuff to worry about the MM just yet.

I love this printer

frame in Pet-g, wheels in ABS, track in PLA, profile strips in flex pla

Still waiting for motors and ESCs to see if it actually works

Wow thats very impressive. How long did it take to print?

Wow thats very impressive. How long did it take to print?
    I didnt log it, but a while . Probably 4-5 days or so?

oh wow! I thought you were going to say 4 or 5 hours lol

oh wow! I thought you were going to say 4 or 5 hours lol
    I wish! Tanks weighs almost 2Kg. Granted, some of that is in bolts and bearings, but its a LOT of plastic and by far the largest thing I ever printed.
    It takes '4-5' hours to print just one track (laid out as on the photo), or the bottom plate or ~4 wheels.

Muahahaha. Its ALIVE. And the motor/ESC I chose, way, WAY overkill. I love overkill. Currently driving on 2 cells rather than 3, and this is no more than half throttle:

This works so much better than I had thought! And its even with printed gear without grubscrews straight on the motor axle, as I ordered the wrong steel gears.

LOL thats crazy Skinny!!

LOL thats crazy Skinny!!
    Its far more crazy than it looks. I need to get a camera man or make some aerial shots with a drone to do it justice, but this thing is so fast its truly hilarious. I cant keep it on the ground, my brother joked it needed a big spoiler on the back. But Im ripping apart tracks faster than I can print them and I didnt feel like flying a drone at the airfield, so I only managed to get this footage:

Its too shaky to say much, but if it sounds like it was about to get airborne, then your ears are not deceiving you.

It would be interesting to put some aerodynamics on it When i was about 11 me and a friend used to make aerodynamic kits for our model train sets then time them round the track

Would be good to see it on a smooth road to see how fast it will actually go!

It would be interesting to put some aerodynamics on it When i was about 11 me and a friend used to make aerodynamic kits for our model train sets then time them round the track

Would be good to see it on a smooth road to see how fast it will actually go!
    I just calculated its theoretical top speed. 2300 KV x 12V = 27K rpm at the motor
    54/14 gearing and ~20 cm drive wheel circumference gives me

86KmH or 54 mph.

No, its not actually going to achieve that, but if somehow I could keep it on the road and straight, and the thing doesnt explode, it wont be very far. But those caveats arent going to happen, even on 2S I can barely keep it straight or prevent it going airborne .

But I may try later on a large concrete slab, with a GPS recorder if I can find it (have it somewhere). Its not going to end well, but hey, I can always print spare parts

Some experimenting. First, post processing prints using "Rub n buff" metallic wax:
    Hard to photograph:

Then I borrowed a handheld 3D scanner and made some scans of the neighbours kids. Resolution is a little disappointing , but its a Ä200 scanner, so I guess one cant expect miracles. Right is a print straight of the print bed (I sliced it in 2 parts through the middle for easy/fast printing), left a smaller version with more rubnbuff

I also made a silicon mold, so now they can make chocolate versions or popsicles of their son . Id post a picture, but I just ate my first experiment
    Last edited by Skinny; 14-08-2017 at 09:36.

Im always impressed with your creativity Skinny. I dont know how you find the time!"