Thread: Yak 1b (series 127) ... OP much?

Yak 1b (series 127) ... OP much?

Bought this plane last night after finishing our usual DBS meet and I have to say that I am more than impressed with it. Here is why:

Turns on a dime, retains energy very nicely, climbs and is fast in general. The cockpit is gorgeous, probably the best looking one in whole BOX. The mirror position, together with bubble canopy works wonders. Then the guns... For whatever reason (historical or not) russian guns on this thing do not lose velocity as much as on the 109 for the example and are easier to shoot and aim with. Sniping runaway 190s has never been easier. Almost laser like precision (exaggerating a bit, I know). Everything that you missed on the Spitfire mkV - this thing has. And then some.

First I tried it out offline, but then hopped onto that Duel server. Lets just say that on my first sortie I became an ace.

At $20 this is an expensive plane - but you do get what you pay for. I have no regrets in spending full, non discount price on this thing.

Sent using Tapatalk
    ... my foldable "Hog Pen"

It is the latest plane available to the VVS, so it should be the best performer as it is.

And you can't really compare it to a MKVB performance wise, which basically is a mid to late 1941 aircraft and the S127(not super sure) mid to late 1943, which was used pretty much till the end of the war.

Gun wise it has the exact same loadout as the lagg-3 with just a bit more ammo stored for the 20mm.

German planes are better performing but more fragile than the russian planes(at least in the sim) and i think after the overhaul from the MG151/20 damage is pretty much equal from the cannons.

What i really like is the visibility which is stunning and the overall flight envelop is very pleasant and it forgives a lot more than for example a 190 in dogfighting.
    Last edited by Jizzo; 25-09-2017 at 15:21.

You summed it up nicely - stuff that I have missed. Very forgiving and all around a great performer. Almost no downsides to this plane.

The comparison with MkVb was mainly in ease of use. Spit is great, but lacks speed and more ammo for the Hispanos that need to be used carefully.

I did try a 109 after Yak, and the controls lock up at higher speeds. Though it feels faster now. Both the 109 and 190 require a higher skill level to be flown successfully in comparison to Yak 1b. Thus making the latter a very formidable opponent in the air.

Sent using Tapatalk

Totally agree there, Thor.

I must admit, even though the s 127 is the far better aircraft, i still like the MKVB most from all the currently available vvs aircraft.

And i think when all vvs aircraft are released, the throne is gonna be shared by the P39 and MKVB.

I too enjoy the Spit very much. If nothing else - for, by far the best Merlin engine sounds ever done in a combat flight sim. DCS sounds are amateurish in comparison.

P39 will undoubtedly be interesting.

Sent using Tapatalk

Totally in love with the sound aswell!

The fidelity of the mirrors in the sim, kicks up the immersion even more for aircrafts that have one.