Thread: CoD, not so sure...

MajorParts is offline Regimental Sergeant Major More Posts Than Postman Pat

CoD, not so sure...

Installed a week ago, Ive been exploring and experimenting, must say I'm not too impressed.
    What complications,what lack of aircraft..Why am I only assigned Beaus' or Blenheims? The loneliness of 'single player'...!
    I did try to join a couple of servers but I was shocked to find I couldnt even get the motors started on my Beaufighter , more 'simmy' than 1946 then?
    Is BoS a similar set up ? Ive not enough time to learn the intricacies of advanced engine/ignition management..I'm feeling Im too old
    Last edited by MajorParts; 10-02-2018 at 13:57.

IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad (now called the Great Battles Series as they add a bunch of stuff) is not quite the same. It's a little less 'simmy' in places than Cliffs of Dover but more 'Simmy' than IL-2: 1946 if that makes any sense.

Battle of Stalingrad has one button start-ups which some people love (I suspect you would, I do ) and others want the whole start-up. It's a realistic startup but the computer runs through the startup sequence while you admire the scenery. It's really quite good actually.

In IL-2: BoS Normal mode none of the advanced engine management is required. If you go over limits it automatically throttles you down and you'll never damage an engine due to overuse. In Expert mode you need to pay attention to operating limits and make sure that you've opened the appropriate cooling systems at various times. I was initially overwhelmed but then found the whole thing to be fairly easy to manage after a few screw-ups on my part.
    "I used to be Ice but it's just too cold outside so call me Shamrock and hope it's a lucky call sign."

Nice answer Shamrock im interested in what is happening these days.

For me time is short and precious. I dont have time to spend learning a game or sim.
    Never trust a man who when left alone in a room with a tea cosey, doesn't put it on his head
    If you are going to buy online why not do it and help B-F keep going at the same time!

Follow this Link to our Amazon Store

DONATE TO KEEP B-F SERVERS GOING

Quote Originally Posted by Bone Head View Post
    Nice answer Shamrock im interested in what is happening these days.

For me time is short and precious. I dont have time to spend learning a game or sim.
    Cheers

I hear you. There's times when you just want to jump in and not have to fiddle with a lot of stuff. IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad is pretty good at that with Normal mode. It's simplified engine management but it still gives you the full flight model so you feel like you're flying a real plane and flying it at the highest of fidelity available in the sim. Doesn't mean hard or easy necessarily. For the people who want more, there's Expert mode with advanced engine management and locked down views and so forth. It's a decent enough compromise. It's also not like DCS where you have to learn the cold star procedure and press a half dozen buttons in the right order. Here you push the button and get to the flying... and fighting... and often dying
    "I used to be Ice but it's just too cold outside so call me Shamrock and hope it's a lucky call sign."

I agree. The damage model in CloD is nothing short of stunning, the graphics are look good and the performance is here now. The interface is still rubbish and there are overall complexity problems, in my mind at least. The only thing going for it is the BoB scenario, not available in other two titles. Working now, just what - 6-7 years too late?

BOX hits the honey pot IMHO. Especially when the 3.001 patch arrives. Then there is the Bodenplatte, the next Great Battles title - which by all accounts should be a popular, on now well polished and ironed out graphical and MP platform. 777 is leading the way, from the way they listen to the community to the realistic release dates (the only major delay I remember is this 3.001 patch - and that took them only a couple of months longer than anticipated).

By the time ED/DCS finish their new damage modeling, I will most likely retire.
    ... my foldable "Hog Pen"

T}{or what is BoX?
    Never trust a man who when left alone in a room with a tea cosey, doesn't put it on his head
    If you are going to buy online why not do it and help B-F keep going at the same time!

Quote Originally Posted by ShamrockOneFive View Post
    IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad (now called the Great Battles Series as they add a bunch of stuff) is not quite the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone Head View Post
    T}{or what is BoX?
    What ShamrockOneFive said, or in other words when you combine all the titles we have out by now Battle of Stalingrad, Moscow and Kuban - BOS is no longer appropriate title IMHO. Thus BOX.
    ... my foldable "Hog Pen"

ah ok cheers lol

Yes, thanks, looking forward to buying 'BoX' when funds permit :-)

Bladebender is offline Warrant Officer More Posts Than Postman Pat
    BOS, BOM, Campaigns, Colletor Planes and Blitz are all at sale price this weekend on IL2 website.

Full release of Kuban probably only a week or so away.

I looked there today, still seems I have to buy all 3 seperate, that will cost too much..
    Ive looked everywhere but cannot find a single pointer to BoX, where can I purchase/download?
    (all downloads seem to be through 'Steam' too - I really dont want Steam.)l
    Last edited by MajorParts; 16-02-2018 at 09:34.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorParts View Post
    I looked there today, still seems I have to buy all 3 seperate, that will cost too much..
    Ive looked everywhere but cannot find a single pointer to BoX, where can I purchase/download?
    (all downloads seem to be through 'Steam' too - I really dont want Steam.)l
    Register if you haven't
    Good prices right now
    I just purchased Moscow there outside of steam.
    Stalingrad and Moscow are a good start.
    Direct purchase and download
    https://il2sturmovik.com/

Bodenplatte purchase here

Last edited by Hoodoodat; 16-02-2018 at 14:00.
    Why be normal when you can be happy?

Never more than 50% off

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodoodat View Post
    Register if you haven't
    Good prices right now
    I just purchased Moscow there outside of steam.
    Stalingrad and Moscow are a good start.
    Direct purchase and download
    https://il2sturmovik.com/

Bodenplatte purchase here

I`ve never seen a module with more than 50% discount mate, it`s either that when available or $80. You only need 1 module to join in as far as I`m aware. They are around 18 each and you`ll spend hours on them. I`ve bought you one Stalingrad licence, PM me your BoS forum name and I`ll gift it to you.
    Last edited by SMURFY1967; 19-02-2018 at 22:04.