Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Condor V2 soaring sim is out

Condor V2 soaring sim is out

Almost 15 years after V1, finally V2 is out.

Not my screenshots, and the above one doesnt seem to have AA enabled .

Ive uploaded a video of one my first test flights. Dont be put off by the fugly cirrus clouds on this server:

Condor V1 already was so good, that most real world competition pilots, including the raining world champion, train on condor. V2 is better. its really really good

Flight dynamics are like nothing Ive flown before. Its as real as it gets. There are a few gliders in there that I have flown in real life, DuoDiscus, Blanik and Cirrus, they handle absolutely like the real thing. Truly impressive. The new high performance gliders, I never flew, but they feel very convincing, and are pretty challenging to fly.

If you want to try a different flight sim, consider giving it a try. Its a very different challenge from dogfighting, but it really is a challenge and especially online competition flights with up to 64 players are 2-3 hour non stop adrenaline rushes where ever little mistake gets punished.

My take so far. The good:

- best flight dynamics bar none.
    - best thermal, slope and wave atmospheric simulation bar none.
    - online racing focus. This is so different than just soaring around aimlessly. While that can be relaxing and fun too, online racing really is what sets condor apart. Its like combining the best from car racing games with a combat flight simulator.
    - Small, but very active and "hardcore" online community. Every evening you'll find dozens of servers with people racing, you'll almost never need to fly alone. Several competitions that span many races over many months
    - improved graphics. Not going to say graphics will blow you away, but it looks good, and it has extremely low system requirements. You can play this game on most IGPs.

The not so good:

- its not cheap (60 euro incl VAT and with a limited number of planes) and there is no trial version (yet?)
    - No support for VR yet We're begging the developers to include support in a patch
    - TrackIR is supported but not 6DoF.
    - cirrus/ lenticularis clouds need work
    - its only just been released, there are some minor bugs

Find out more here: http://www.condorsoaring.com/
    Last edited by Skinny; 22-02-2018 at 08:54.

very pretty but a bit pricey maybe.
    Never trust a man who when left alone in a room with a tea cosey, doesn't put it on his head
    If you are going to buy online why not do it and help B-F keep going at the same time!

Follow this Link to our Amazon Store

DONATE TO KEEP B-F SERVERS GOING

Yes, especially if you're not certain this is something you'll like. For people who glide or who have been flying version 1 for 10 years or more, its pretty much a no brainer; its like the original IL2, if you calculate that price per hour you enjoyed it, well, its probably the best money you ever spent.

Does it simulate bursting for a pee when you just took of not expecting to do five hour flight?
    Never trust a man who when left alone in a room with a tea cosey, doesn't put it on his head
    If you are going to buy online why not do it and help B-F keep going at the same time!

I see its online version too? is ther much of a community? any competitions?

Im not keen on your tow release technique

does it work with the oculus at all do you know?

Skinny I hope you dont fly the real thing like that LOL scared me watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Bone Head View Post
    Skinny I hope you dont fly the real thing like that LOL scared me watching!
    I play it online exclusively, and I almost always fly competitions, or at least single races. A race is typically 150-250Km and takes ~2 hours total flying time. The community is probably not far from 1000 pilots (edit, fwiw, the new forum has 12K members ?) and pretty active in EU timezone. A little less so in US or eastern timezones. You can see the servers and participants here:
    http://www.condorsoaring.com/serverl..._search=cndr2:

Currently its still spread over version 1 and 2, as not everyone has upgraded, sceneries are not ported yet and some competitions are still ongoing on V1. A typical planned evening race is 20-30 pilots, a random race 5 or 10. Here is a screenshot from yesterday's "tchinthin" race with 27 players:

There are also a few "permanent" competitions over many races or even entire seasons, like eurobattle:
    http://eurobattle.condor-danmark.dk/

As for my flying.. heh

I did have one "oops" moment there turning towards the mountain; it was the first time I flew that plane and the diana with 200 liter water is not very forgiving. The rest is pretty much how I always fly. If anything, this was relaxed flying. When Im competing, I fly to win and often have to do "ballistic trajectories" to get over a ridge, sometimes with my gear out . And no, I obviously would never do that IRL, but like Im flying in the video above, wouldnt be too far from reality.
    Last edited by Skinny; 24-02-2018 at 23:07.

Eurobattle is streamed live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezxbevSOKV8

Every evening 19:30UTC.

does it work with the oculus at all do you know?
    In 2D with some app I think someone got it work, but the FoV is too narrow. Everyone is begging for VR support, so I do expect a patch to address this in the coming months. But for now: not really. If you want to glide with an oculus rift, AeroFly is the ticket:

With the correct sceneries (paid sceneries!) it looks stunning. The above video at times I couldnt tell if its a simulation or RL. But aerofly has no online support, no races and the flight and thermal/ridge/wave dynamics are incredibly simplistic and unrealistic compared to condor. Its great to look around and have fun with your VR set.

I used to try very old gliding "sim" mid 90s It was map based though. So you decided where to glide next and so on. During a gliding competition it was great fun. I have never glided on mountinous areas, sim luuked wery nice. But my longest flight is only 10h and 25 mins, without mountain waves

yes we used engine for few mins to make it safe back home, Plane, Januc CT. https://www.google.fi/search?q=janus...zIyxO_zJL5zuM:
    Last edited by LeVola; 25-02-2018 at 20:00.
    Life is like a radar vector, You never know what you're gonna get

Ive flown a Janus too, my club used to have one. Not the turbo though, a Janus C and I think Im happy for that, as even without turbo it was heavy and sluggish. I cant say I really enjoyed flying it, even if performance was okay and it had a tail parachute like the space shuttle!

10+h is a really long time! On thermals alone? Thermals rarely start before 11h here. I think my longest flight was 7 or so hours and that was long enough for me without a pauze button or toilet Ive never flown in wave either, but I have flown in the Alps several times. Always in double with an instructor or friend who knew the region. Being able to fly is only the first step in a long voyage when it comes to mountain soaring. Competition flying in the mountains is something I wouldnt even ever consider doing.

Here is really old pic I snapped there:

Last edited by Skinny; 25-02-2018 at 21:54.

I did have one "oops" moment there turning towards the mountain
    That was the bit that scared me! I had been looking for fields for a while. That said I have done very little ridge soaring

Youve probably never flown a 49:1 L/D 15m glider either. Nor have I IRL, but its pretty astonishing how far it goes. And how fast it gets there. Mcready 2.5, so the ideal cruise speed between thermals when the thermals average only a modest 2.5m/s is 200KmH. At that speed (110 Knots) the diana 2 with full tanks still has 34 L/D. To put that in perspective, a Standard cirrus, which you might have flown, and was once considered a very good plane, does 16.8 L/D at that speed.

Anyway, the in game PDA gives you plenty of information to avoid being surprised. At any point in that video I could easily reach the airfield with 200m reserve. In condor races, when on final glide, I will usually aim for -50 to -100m at the finish, hope for ground effect, use my airspeed to actually make it there, or do a rolling finish.
    Last edited by Skinny; 27-02-2018 at 11:22.

I remember when i flew glider tugs 20 years ago being overtaken by a glider and I was going down faster than he was and I was doing 100kts (fine pitch prop didnt help!) Gliders are impressive these days . I would still want one with a turbo in it though, cant be doing with trying to organise a retrieve on a Sunday evening when everyone just wants to go home and you are stuck in a field 100 miles away!

I dont know how many airfields there are in the UK, but I imagine quite a few.Even around here, you almost have to try hard to find yourself in a position where you cant reach some airfield and get yourself towed back home. Gliders have gotten better, meteo predictions have gotten much better and flight computers have gotten much much better. Its not like it never happens anymore, particularly in competitions where you are going to push the envelope, but its pretty rare. Though admittedly, that may also be because turbo's and self launchers have become much more common.

I think the appeal of a turbo is mostly the psychology of not needing to worry about it. Even if you do have to worry about. Ask my friend who outlanded his discus turbo recently. It turns out turbo's dont start if you forget to open the fuel line .

Im out of date for sure. I havent been round gliders for 20 years and not flown one for about 28. However you only need to look at the controlled airspace in the UK, its a nightmare and there arent that many airfields you could land in. Its not landing in fields that bothers me anyhow, its sitting round for hours waiting for your mates to turn up with a trailer.

I have retrieved gliders with the tug from grass strips but more often than not people end up in farmers fields.

Im out of date for sure. I havent been round gliders for 20 years and not flown one for about 28. However you only need to look at the controlled airspace in the UK, its a nightmare .
    Same here. But transponders are pretty much standard on gliders now, as they have become mandatory in most places, so controlled airspace is not necessarily inaccessible. Of course, occasionally you get controllers asking you to maintain altitude or climb to some flightlevel, which is somewhat easier with a turbo lol. Or you can do like someone in my club did, ask the ATC a vector to the nearest thermal

I recall listening to a conversation between air traffic and a balloon pilot. He had asked if he could cross the runway centreline as he was drifting that way, they cleared him and then I think the breeze must of stopped because half an hour later they were asking why he hadnt moved. He ended up having to land.

Condor VR is currently in beta, public release is imminent and feedback I hear is that it is absolutely fantastic. Only Oculus Rift supported atm, no word yet if revive works. GTX 1060 and up are fast enough for fluid framerates. The simplicity of a glider compared to an F15 means you can do pretty much everything on your joystick, certainly if you have a hotas, which makes it perfect for a VR simulator.

I know I probably cant convert you IL2/DCS veterans who think pressing a trigger and creating a fireball is the only way to get excited in a flightsim but let me try anyway with this 4K recording I made a few days ago of an online race.

No fancy edits (4K HVEC proved too difficult to edit for me to bother, so I just cut segments using avidemux), incorrect audio (you hear my brother on skype) , but it gives you a good idea of what its like to race with gliders in condor. Its not like dogfighting, but its probably closer to flying bombers. Technically difficult, strategically challenging, throughout exciting and usually incredibly close. Think of it as a mix between Assetto Corsa and a flight sim: