Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Condor V2 soaring sim is out

Skinny is offline General More Posts Than Postman Pat
    We arent flying tchin tchin tonight, but if you like, after 19h (20h UK time) I have time and we can join some other server and try a race?
    If so, meet me on the TS I linked earlier: http://virtualsoaring.eu/teamspeak

ill see if i can get away from family duties
    Never trust a man who when left alone in a room with a tea cosey, doesn't put it on his head
    If you are going to buy online why not do it and help B-F keep going at the same time!

Follow this Link to our Amazon Store

DONATE TO KEEP B-F SERVERS GOING

I just tried the task on one of our servers and ended up on the ground again. Ill try again later maybe
    Never trust a man who when left alone in a room with a tea cosey, doesn't put it on his head
    If you are going to buy online why not do it and help B-F keep going at the same time!

Well you did get twice as far Its easier when other pilots are also flying so you can see what they do, let them find the thermals etc. Also, while the tasks are made to be relatively short in time, they are not that easy.

If you like, this evening at 19:15 UTC there is another regatta cup race. Scenery is slovenia (the default one). I hope the task is more interesting and less turbulent as last time, but I expect full servers, so there should be plenty of people to follow..
    ...for a while

btw check your hotmail
    Last edited by Skinny; 23-01-2019 at 13:24.

ok

Regatta cup this evening is club class. That means the only plane option for now is the standard Cirrus and I believe without water ballast. Doesnt look like a high speed 200+KmH task, rather a long and possibly tedious task with a lot of thermalling. But lets see how far we get?

Briefing here:
    https://www.condor-club.eu/comp/showtask/0/?id=11975

Sorry mate I got busy with family stuff.
    How did you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Bone Head View Post
    Sorry mate I got busy with family stuff.
    How did you do?
    The server crashed mid flight, so we had to fly half of it offline and then submit our flight track (its a tamper proof system)
    I did poorly, I missed the start entirely and things didnt really go well after that. Ill have to wait until everyone uploaded their tracks, but right now Im 24th or something.

But hey, I finished, 263Km in a cirrus in difficult weather, so Ill call that a victory

I found the video of the guy flying along the cliffs of the south coast in the UK.

I watched a few of his videos and got to thinking this guy is going to kill himself, he seemed quite reckless at times. Then I found out he did kill himself following a cable break on a day when flying probably wasnt a good idea anyhow.

Not sure if its the same:

The guy who uploaded that was the passenger though, so I have no idea who was flying. But that one turned out to be in New Zealand.

the one I watched was in the UK.

Oh, the guy with the shark teeth. Indeed, thats the one who ditched in the water. This is his story from that:
    http://soaringsection.blogspot.com/2...shark.html?m=1

I didnt know he was dead And then to die in an accident resulting form a winch cable break, something every student pilot should be able to handle safely..

TBH, in the video you linked I dont see anything particularly dangerous or reckless. The one I linked, you see the pilot exceed VNE, with a passenger onboard, seemingly missing rocks by a few hairs and doing a low pass at what would seem no higher than a few cm above the water. I know, low passes are cool and less dangerous than they look, but just keep a meter or two safety margin -especially in such turbulence .

It wasnt that one video. I watched a lot of them the other night. it was the over all feeling I got. There are plenty of low passes
    I read the AAIB report into his crash. I get the feeling that he should of sayed in the club house that day. Another glider got airborne just before him, returned immediately and took it to the hangar. The cable break was mishandled but we all make mistakes though.

Quote Originally Posted by Bone Head View Post
    It wasnt that one video. I watched a lot of them the other night. it was the over all feeling I got. There are plenty of low passes
    I read the AAIB report into his crash. I get the feeling that he should of sayed in the club house that day. Another glider got airborne just before him, returned immediately and took it to the hangar. The cable break was mishandled but we all make mistakes though.
    I also just read the report. The report states the cable broke at 120ft @84Kts (no sane pilot would attempt a circuit that low even in calm conditions) but in the video stills, he appears to be significantly higher than that when it breaks, and he supposedly leveled off at 280 ft @76kts which is more in line with the height I would guess from the stills. You cant trade 160ft for 8 Kts of airspeed so Im guessing they relied on GPS data or the altimeter was still lagging and the 120ft is just wrong. Surprising the AAIB didnt catch that.

Anyway, even 280ft is lower than what we deem safe for doing a shortened circuit under normal conditions and with such wind, landing straight ahead should have been the obvious choice. And he could still have changed his mind after doing his first 90 degree turn. Easy to say for sure, and yes we all do make mistakes, but that day he made one of the few mistakes you cant afford to make in a glider. I dont think it was his decision to fly and I fear it was more his overconfidence that he could pull of a circuit. No one likes to land long, as that means a long walk and push back.

One last thing; Ive done a fair number of simulated cable failures and have experienced a few real ones. But never at such a critical altitude. One real break was even lower so turning didnt even come to mind, and the simulations are almost always done higher at around 150m or 450ft so that doing a 360 is safe in moderate weather. I think the assumption is that landing straight ahead from lower altitudes is easy and doesnt require much training, plus instructor dont like to land long and walk/push back across the entire runway, but I do think we get conditioned a bit to make a 360.
    Last edited by Skinny; 25-01-2019 at 09:56.

Surprising the AAIB didnt catch that. I would be surprised if they got it wrong TBH. Their investigations are scientific and very thorough. But ...

Ive had a fair few cable breaks. We used to use piano wire and when it was getting old it would snap. We also bought a batch of cheap wire. After it snapped 4 times in 4 launches we discovered it was actually fencing wire

We also used to practice them at all heights. However things change. When I used to teach people to fly motor gliders the thinking was, why teach someone to recover from a situation that is rare if teaching it itself is dangerous. So up to about 200 a briefing to land ahead would be sufficient. Ive also had an engine failure at 120 in a motor glider and 300 feet in a tug. Civilian pilots arent tought to turn back if you have an engine failure however I had no where else to go and I turned back but I was a current instructor at the time and was teaching air cadets to turn back so it was an automatic response. I landed back on the airfield downwind. Then went to check my underwear.

In fairness to the AAIB, I should have read the small font. The numbers I quoted did indeed come from the flarm GPS log and they used different numbers derived from the video showing the instrument panel, and the oudie. And in their words "The figures in this section differ from the data extracted from the Oudie and the differences are not readily resolved".

We also used to practice them at all heights. However things change. When I used to teach people to fly motor gliders the thinking was, why teach someone to recover from a situation that is rare if teaching it itself is dangerous. So up to about 200 a briefing to land ahead would be sufficient. Ive also had an engine failure at 120 in a motor glider and 300 feet in a tug. Civilian pilots arent tought to turn back if you have an engine failure however I had no where else to go and I turned back but I was a current instructor at the time and was teaching air cadets to turn back so it was an automatic response. I landed back on the airfield downwind. Then went to check my underwear.

Oh wow. yeah, those are things you dont really train for. What I recall being taught is pretty much "pray it doesnt happen". Actually its the kind of things where a simulator, even one like condor could prove useful. I mean, Im quite proficient now at landing on 45 degree sloped hills and doing ballistic trajectories over mountain ridges - with my wheel out just, in case I bump the ridge. I dont think you taught your students important life saving stuff like that

Flew with a guy today who might be up for some condor flying. Hes got an oculus rift too.

19:15 UTC condor world cup?
    Im really drunk though, new year reception thing, if you can bare that, feel free to join on ts. You will need Big Pyrénées scenery

Ill call by now and say hi. Ive just got back from my daughters birthday celebration

I called by the TS server didnt see you in there